• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Galvanized vs painted trailer

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok, so picking boat up this weekend and it's sitting on a galvanized shorlandr trailer. I will not be using the boat in salt water so I don't really need galavanized. Personally I like the look of a black painted trailer better, but not sure how difficult it would be to either trade, or sell this one to buy a painted one. Has anyone ever tried to dress their galavanized trailers up any? Maybe add black pin stripes down the side or something? I would like to add custom wheels but not sure how it would look on galavanized.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would keep the galvanized trailer, you never know when a boat trip tickles your fancy and requires you to launch in salt water, i.e. the Bimini trip.

I've seen people dress up there galvanized trailers with bed liner paint.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'd get the galvanized trailer. Yeah - it's not as pretty as a painted trailer, but those painted trailers look horrible when they start rusting.
And as @andy07sx230ho mentioned, I too have seen a couple of painted galvanized trailers.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As already mentioned I would keep the galvanized trailer but if you truly wanted a painted trailer I'm sure if you posted the trade in the classifeds section someone with a painted trailer would trade you out. If I had I painted trailer I know I would trade it straight up for a galvinized o

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Even though we launch only in fresh water, I specifically searched for a boat on a galvanized trailer. Id say keep it!

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My dealer told me that if I trailered a lot then get galvanized, which was included anyways. said the painted ones start to rust within 3 years just from rain and road salt.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Good points by all. I think it would be too much trouble and a waste of $ to try to trade or sell for a painted one. Plus, this one is almost brand new and only been in water once or twice. I'll explore options to customize it, but buying things for the boat will be my number 1 priority right now.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@MattFX4 You could do a few things to dress it up for relatively cheap. I

The wheels on my trailer are PlastiDipped black. The "chrome" was starting to peel off and looked crappy. Since this picture I have also changed out the gray cover and gray post covers for black. I'll have to take a new picture.
Pick up Day.JPG
You could also add some reflective tape like the high end aluminum trailers have.

I would also put a Stoltz bow roller on. Not for looks, but because it's a really nice roller.

Then again, everyone always says nobody cares what your trailer looks like, they're looking at the boat. Haha.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here's a shot of the aluminum rims I bought to change out the factory galvanized ones with. Dressed up the whole trailer a bit I thought.