• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Gantlin Wake Wedge vs. JetBoatPilot Jetwash Deflector

cbroadhead

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone compared the Gantlin Wake Wedge to the Jet Boat Pilot Jetwash Deflector?

Which one creates a bigger wake?

2010 Yamaha AR240

Thanks!

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can only speak for the Wake Wedge. I don't know that I've seen any real world reviews of the jetwash deflector. Just a few promotional and test videos from Jetboat Pilot. It seems like they were in the process of redesigning the 24ft version. So, although it's for sale now I'm not sure it's reached the broad market. Perhaps it's just that I've not looked for it.

The shaper is an important part of the wakesurf formula but it's job is limited to cleaning up the surface of the wave. Neither will do much of anything to increase the size of the wave. That is the purpose of ballast. The only way to increase the size of the Yamaha wave is to add ballast and cause the hull to displace more water.

I think results of the Wake Wedge with proper ballast are pretty well documented and definitive. I'm not saying others don't work, but the Wake Wedge absolutely works. I have a side hustle as a watersports dealer, as such I'm fortunate to have the opportunity to try just about all of the boards that we sell behind our 2016 AR240. With our typical surf setup, running we Wake Wedge, we run about 2,250lbs of ballast between 3 different bags (swimdeck 850lbs, 500lbs rear surf side under seat, 900lbs ski locker). As a ~200lbs man, I have been able to surf about any board I choose and ride a wave I can play on. It is awesome!

4'4" Butter Bar
My first time trying this board last year

Most recent surf session a couple weeks ago.

@jcyamaharider is a great resource for both the wakewedge and outfitting you with the proper ballast.

Let me know if you've got any questions on boards. I'm happy to help outfit you if I've got a good fit. Reach out anytime

cjnapier

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Trying to get setup for the first time. Any idea how much that weight (2250 lbs) impacts draft for shallow water? Trying to determine if I’ll have to fill and empty on the water or if I’ll be able to dock in shallow water with the bags filled. 2004 AR230

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Trying to get setup for the first time. Any idea how much that weight (2250 lbs) impacts draft for shallow water? Trying to determine if I’ll have to fill and empty on the water or if I’ll be able to dock in shallow water with the bags filled. 2004 AR230
You will want to drain between surf sessions. For best results, the surf side corner of the transom is submerged. Don’t want to leave it like that when you’re not on the boat.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
You will want to drain between surf sessions. For best results, the surf side corner of the transom is submerged. Don’t want to leave it like that when you’re not on the boat.
Truth. Sink the boat only when your motors will be running!

cjnapier

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got it. Also the guy I bought the boat from said the transom has a fillable ballast and he even added a bilge for easier draining on the port side mid way up the rear swim platform area. I’m not finding anything that shows you can fill the transom seat cavities?

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Got it. Also the guy I bought the boat from said the transom has a fillable ballast and he even added a bilge for easier draining on the port side mid way up the rear swim platform area. I’m not finding anything that shows you can fill the transom seat cavities?
Think we’re going to need some pics of what you’ve got. No, there’s nothing stock to fill those compartments. Are there big gray bags in there?

TJP027

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I have been looking for a used jet wash deflector, hard to find.

Wanted to try that before doing anything drastic.

cjnapier

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok photos of what I have. You can see the bilge he added but I can’t figure out why. There is a port in that transom compartment but I assumed it was the flush connection?

Attachments

cjnapier

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone have issues installing jet wash deflector? 04ar230 and you can see it doesn’t clear the last step, and yes I already moved to the upper holes and moved the plugs. I really don’t want to cut it or drill extra holes without even knowing how it will perform.

Attachments

MFDaymo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My swim step mount was upside down (strange, I know). I flipped it and the jet wash deflector works perfectly. If unsure on it, reach out to Will Owen at Jet Boat Pilot with some pictures, he can probably guide you as well

cjnapier

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My swim step mount was upside down (strange, I know). I flipped it and the jet wash deflector works perfectly. If unsure on it, reach out to Will Owen at Jet Boat Pilot with some pictures, he can probably guide you as well
How much ballast do you add? I finally got my deflector to fit. Had to trim a bit off the bracket per Jeff’s instructions (the guy who made the comparison video above ). Still working to get some success going ropeless.

MFDaymo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How much ballast do you add? I finally got my deflector to fit. Had to trim a bit off the bracket per Jeff’s instructions (the guy who made the comparison video above ). Still working to get some success going ropeless.
i run 800 in ski locker, 400 under seat (port or starboard, depending on who is surfing) and then 600lbs of roc sac ballast on swim platform to surf side.