• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Gas gauge on 2018 242 SE

Paul Steele

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
Had my first long day on the lake With my 2018 242 SE. At one point I had to adults in the front and three adults in the back and myself on the captains chair. At slow speed’s the gas would drop and tell me I have 5% left but then going 20 miles an hour it would fluctuate by 15% and go back up to 20%. Has anyone else experienced this much fluctuation? I am coming from a 2013 SX 192 and never really had any fluctuation on the gas tank level

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
My 2017 242x reads different when I'm on plane vs when we are floating. I think it's about a 10-15% difference as well.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I hope so, it's the higher one. :D:D

Redneck_4Play

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have a 2014 212X and my fuel gauge has been all over the place since day one. I always use the "Gallons Used" feature and it is always accurate. I reset it when I fill up and and hasn't let me down yet.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2014 212X and my fuel gauge has been all over the place since day one. I always use the "Gallons Used" feature and it is always accurate. I reset it when I fill up and and hasn't let me down yet.
That's what I've be doing also but it says I used 30 gallons then takes 35 when I fill up. It makes me a little nervous not having at least one accurate reading. Is this a common thing?

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I always try to remember to reset the gallons when I fill up. I judge my fuel gauge only when sitting still. On plane it reads higher. Go off of the gallons used.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I pass a 3 different stations with ethanol free fuel on my way to the water. So I just top off before dropping in the water.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine fluctuates a lot. Maybe the larger tank allows for more movement of the fuel. And your smaller tank in your 192 didnt allow for the slosh as much.

And 5% left is 2.5 gallons hope fuel dock is close

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Same here... at least 10-15% fluctuation on my 2018 242 SE. I only noticed it this last time out because I was low on gas. Seeing it swing from 5-20% had me watching it closely....

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hmm mine has never fluctuated. Non-Connext boat obviously.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Took a couple pictures of mine today.... 100% doing 40+ mph and 87% standing still. Pictures attached

IMG_9230.JPG

IMG_6509.JPG

BoaTN

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

I can confirm my boat also fluctuates a lot between on plane and idle. It was around 15% until I dropped off plane then it showed 0%. Just for a reference point I put 43 gallons in it right after this photo was taken, so the on plane amount seems accurate, and the idle/floating amount is conservative. I'll take that calibration over an optimistic fuel gauge any day.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
y'all with the 14.3v! I've only seen 12ish volts. I wonder if my solar panel is not working. Gonna be out Sunday on my first sunny day. We shall see.

Also, yeah, mine fluctuates as well.

BoaTN

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
y'all with the 14.3v! I've only seen 12ish volts. I wonder if my solar panel is not working. Gonna be out Sunday on my first sunny day. We shall see.

12.0v is technically dead on a 12v battery, and if it stays that way long the capacity will decrease as lead sulfate builds until your batteries are ruined. Check the batteries with a multimeter and see if the reading matches. Also, try putting a battery maintainer/desulfating charger on them to see if they're ok. Ctek, Battery Minder, and Noco make good ones.
The solar panel won't do much to charge a dead battery, I would only expect it to keep a charged one charged.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

That picture was with the boat running too.... so my guess is they are certainly charged up.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
12.0v is technically dead on a 12v battery, and if it stays that way long the capacity will decrease as lead sulfate builds until your batteries are ruined. Check the batteries with a multimeter and see if the reading matches. Also, try putting a battery maintainer/desulfating charger on them to see if they're ok. Ctek, Battery Minder, and Noco make good ones.
The solar panel won't do much to charge a dead battery, I would only expect it to keep a charged one charged.
I dry stack my boat. No access to a plug. Is there an option for a charger/tender in this setting?

BoaTN

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The only option I know is take the batteries home with you in the off season to charge.

Make sure you turn off the house/start/parallel switches in the summer every time it goes back to dry stack to remove the parasitic drain the ECM and other electronics cause. If you're using the boat once a month that should be enough to keep a wet cell battery in ok condition. If you're using it less than that you might consider an AGM battery like Odyssey or Northstar. Those have a slower self discharge rate than wet cell batteries.