• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Gas in Exhaust / Oil in Starboard Engine

Perfect, thank you for the tip makes sense! I’ve reached out to Carmo waiting on a email response to proceed. Doesn’t look like the number posted in the thread works anymore.

Last edited:
@iTzTPATT When you are up and running, thanks to your shipmates here, if it has not already been said, make sure to keep your oil level between the high and low marks. If your oil level is near the low mark on a cold engine, do not add oil. Your good to go. The oil pump will raise the level. If you add oil on a cold engine when the level indicates high, you may flood the airbox with oil. I believe that situation could lead to incomplete combustion and oil and fuel in the exhaust, which you did experience.

Received the ECU back yesterday - comments stated that injector #3 was stuck open (repaired/replaced) and they proactively did the same to the others. Going to install it back into the boat this weekend and see how it fairs.

Sometimes seafoam will clear it up. Do an oil change, run Seafoam, see if that clears it up.
This - in fact you can put Seafoam directly into the oil, 1oz per qt of oil. Run the motor and let it sit, THEN change the oil.

Okay hopefully an easy fix with some wisdom from the board.

Installed the new ECU, appears to have worked without further gas leaking out the exhaust. After a quick test cruise, I experienced my first blow out from the clean out ports (rebuilt one, but not both, last year as it was stuck). This caused water to quickly fill the bilge and limped home.

now, after rebuilding the 2nd clean out port, I am seeing the starboard engine (ECU repair was on port) stall/turn off after hitting 8k rpm. Typically starts right back up but continues to die after hitting ~8k rpm. Gas has somewhat leaked similar to port issues, however, I think this is oil / other from the bottom of the bilge/engine compartment draining out.

I noticed oil is over full in both engines (would this cause the issue)? The airbox Is still dry. Going to check plugs next and continue trouble shooting.

With the plug blow out, did it bang into the clean out hatch ??

my guess would be it slightly moved the kill switch under the hatch and now thevibration is enough to disconnect and kill the engine

you can tape a couple nickles on the switch to make sure the button is fully depressed

In your situation, overfilled oil is usually a symptom rather than a cause. Injector stuck open is pushing fuel into the oil, raising the level, often.

Big question is did you check the oil level after you replaced the port ECU? And (second big question), did you check the starboard ECU for water?

With the plug blow out, did it bang into the clean out hatch ??

my guess would be it slightly moved the kill switch under the hatch and now thevibration is enough to disconnect and kill the engine

you can tape a couple nickles on the switch to make sure the button is fully depressed
Will give this a try, thank you!

In your situation, overfilled oil is usually a symptom rather than a cause. Injector stuck open is pushing fuel into the oil, raising the level, often.

Big question is did you check the oil level after you replaced the port ECU? And (second big question), did you check the starboard ECU for water?

Rookie mistake - I did not check the Starboard ECU Or check oil levels on each before/after getting started. Oil was recently replaced on both by a local mechanic on the water (who said he was aware to not overfill). Should have checked his work afterwards.

I would get a sucker and drain the oil in each back down to mid between hi and low. Then monitor. If there is gasoline in the oil, some may burn off and you will see the level go down a bit. If there is a stuck injector or a leak in engine (putting water or gas in the oil), then you will see levels rise...

And check the other ECU. When one is flooded, odds are greater that the other one is too....

Hello guys, 2005 Yamaha SR230 . I recently changed my port engine from SBT to OE 2003 FX140 . Compression ratio: 175,165,170,173.
Dont have any issue on starting the engine ,but the idling is kind a roughed. So I decided to check the spark plug and it came out totally black.
Someone told me that the gas/air mixture is to rich. How do I fix it ? I appreciate all the help guys ..Thank you in advance..

What's the idle speed? Adjust to 1700. Mixture should be computer controlled.

Back