• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Gas tank conversion.

Does it run well without messing with it? It sounded like you had to mess with it to start it, and to keep it running well.

The choke does that, covers the air path it so it will start easy. Is there a choke on it?
Has a choke but won't start with choke fully on. have to cover one carb, doesn't matter which one for a second and then it starts right up. I let it run for a little while and turn choke off. Seams to run good on the trailer at this point. But if you shut it off you have to cover one carb without choke to start it.

You can look into either adding a mechanical choke or a priming bulb, they used to be popular with jet skis

But something's not matching, why can you choke by hand but priming doesn't work? Maybe prime a bit even after start? Something's off for sure.

But something's not matching, why can you choke by hand but priming doesn't work? Maybe prime a bit even after start? Something's off for sure.
The only other thing maybe an air leak around intake someplace or crankcase seal? Going to spray some starter fluid around while running and see what reactions I get.

The only other thing maybe an air leak around intake someplace or crankcase seal? Going to spray some starter fluid around while running and see what reactions I get.
If you had a air leak or bad crankcase seal it would cause a "lean runaway".

Just curious, what rpm is the engine idling at on the trailer? It almost seems like it is set too low, so the throttle blades are barely open and causing hard starting issues because it isn't drawing enough fuel through the carb when choke is activated.

Along that same train of thought, confirm your choke plates are fully closing when pulling the choke knob.

If you had a air leak or bad crankcase seal it would cause a "lean runaway".

Just curious, what rpm is the engine idling at on the trailer? It almost seems like it is set too low, so the throttle blades are barely open and causing hard starting issues because it isn't drawing enough fuel through the carb when choke is activated.

Along that same train of thought, confirm your choke plates are fully closing when pulling the choke knob.
Fully closed but there is a 1/2 hole in choke plates so I covered all three 1/2 holes and with choke on starts right up. Not sure why choke plates have a hole.

Fully closed but there is a 1/2 hole in choke plates so I covered all three 1/2 holes and with choke on starts right up. Not sure why choke plates have a hole.

That is just how they are from factory.

The thing here is you shouldn't have to cover them to start. In factory configuration with properly setup carbs and mechanically sound engines they should easily start without issue.

This is why I asked what RPM you are idling at. We can't assist if we don't get answers to troubleshooting questions.

That is just how they are from factory.

The thing here is you shouldn't have to cover them to start. In factory configuration with properly setup carbs and mechanically sound engines they should easily start without issue.

This is why I asked what RPM you are idling at. We can't assist if we don't get answers to troubleshooting questions.
Put it in the water today. Starts right up with choke (holes covered) able to turn choke right off idles normal. Didn't notice rpm I would say around 2 to 3k. Runs great, very fast, no missing.

Sounds like the issue is fixed! Congrats on that.

Let me humbly suggest you feel whatever you used to cover those holes are VERY WELL SECURED so they don't ever fall off into the intake while the engine is running. It is NO BUENO if debris enters the intake while the engine is running.

Best of Luck!

Put it in the water today. Starts right up with choke (holes covered) able to turn choke right off idles normal. Didn't notice rpm I would say around 2 to 3k. Runs great, very fast, no missing.

In water rpm should be about 1300. Out of water rpm would be higher by at least double that.

Back