• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Gas type and price

SCSX190

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anyone using regular 87 w/10% ethanol? Just paid 4.50 at the marina for ethanol free. Regular pump gas is 1.78 and 89 ethanol free pump gas is 2.80 in my area. Manual says 87 with 10% is recommended. Thoughts, problems?

Last edited:

SCSX190

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Appreciate the feedback. I am debating whether or not to pull the boat out to fill up vs. marina robbery. Looks like I will need to fill up about once a month so it may be worth it to pull her out on land.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
87 Octane 10% ethanol, Stabil Marine 360...runs great, no problems with the ethanol,

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I do the exact same as @captras. Never had a problem, and as a matter of fact... I put the boat away thinking id use it again the next weekend and didn't get back in until 6 months later. The boat fired right up and I had no issues with gas.

SCSX190

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just use the boat year round and your gas will never breakdown!:winkingthumbsup"
Boating season in Lake Wylie SC runs from March thru November. We rarely see snow or daytime temps under 40 with an average of 50. I plan on leaving it in the water all year round.

jollyroger

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I add Sta-Bal marine as captras and njmr2fam. I also add Yamaha Ring free. Have done this for going on 6 years. Boat is stored for up to 8 months and no problems at all so far, knock on wood.

Do a few other items when storing as that is covered in another thread somewhere.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I always use Yamaha Ring Free.
Probably overkill in these boats, but my favorite mechanic (who also happens to be one of the cheapest people I know) uses it in all his boats and skis. It was developed for old two strokers to prevent piston seizure, way before EtOH was in the picture.

Irvs

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
87 octane ethanol free gas! No issues so far.

arew~SX230

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
89 with 10% , marina sells to tenants at cost. Last fill up was 3.50 vs. 2.70 on the road.

SCSX190

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I pulled her out for the 10 Hour service and decided to follow Yamaha's recommendations and use regular 87 with "up to" 10% ethanol pump gas. Cost was 1.78 per gallon vs. 4.50 at the Marina. This will save 80$ per month in fuel costs.

Thanks for all the way input

Scott griffith

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
I have used both 87 with 10% and non ethanol fuel in mine also use star tron ring free mine seems to like the non ethanol better

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Remember these are fuel injected engines, either run a bottle of Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner through it every other tank or buy your fuel from Chevron or Texaco and it's already in their fuel. I always run Chevron through my toys.

SCSX190

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Remember these are fuel injected engines, either run a bottle of Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner through it every other tank or buy your fuel from Chevron or Texaco and it's already in their fuel. I always run Chevron through my toys.
I only use top tier fuel from BP in all my vehicles. Not sure if there is Chevron or Texaco near me but I will check. Thanks.

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I buy Techron by the case at Sam's Club, or Amazon has everything.

watsino

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I make gasoline for a living and typically what you buy at the pump for non ethanol is the pre-ethanol premium (89 or 91 depending where you live). I buy the ~90 octane non ethanol for $2.60/gal versus the 87 octane w/ 10% ethanol for $1.85/gal. To me i am burning ~50 gal a year and am basically paying ~$40 in terms of keeping my fuel filter and engine in top shape. Ring free was designed back when there were huge amounts of aromatics in gasoline. Now a days there are limits in terms of gum formation at all major retailers of gasoline. I also add some stabil marine when i store the boat for ~6 months (it helps prevent oxidation).

SCSX190

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will be burning 30-60 gallons per month and plan on using $1.78 - 87 w/10% ethanol top tier BP as long as I am using the fuel at that pace. For longer inactive periods I will use the non ethanol pump @2.80 and stabil additive.

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Quandry...Yamaha recommends 91 octane for their supercharged 1.8L waverunners....why would they recommend 87 for the same engine in their boats??????
Probably de-tuned a bit, running less timing.

SCSX190

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Same with Ford, My Mustang Ecoboost (turbo) uses 93 vs. the normally aspirated GT 87 octane.

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
But the 1.8L supercharged waverunner engine is the exact 1.8L supercharged boat engine.

The Mustang example you provided makes sense since 1 is naturally aspirated and the other is not.

In Yamaha's case, both applications are the same engine & aspiration.
Probably de-tuned a bit, running less timing.
What @AZDANSX230HO said. The ECUs have different part numbers which would make sense.