• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Gel Coat Help

jetboat623

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Axis
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Climbed under the boat and found some damage towards the front. Its about two inches long, quart inch wide. No idea where it came from.
IMG_0266.JPG
Anyone one have a good recommendation on a repair kit? How hard is this going to be? Been doing some research but not happy with what I have found so far.

jaybro72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just recently used the Spectrum paste kit to repair keel damage and it worked great. Very easy to work with.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
West Marine also has a little tube of pre-mixed stuff in white. Good for small areas. I had one about your size on the bottom (but more of a chip off, rather than a scuff through as yours seems to be). Gooped it up with that stuff, smoothed it over with the plastic thingy that comes with it. Never looked back. I didn't even sand it (it is on the bottom--who is gonna know?).

jetboat623

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Axis
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks everyone. I love this site. I'm lucky because its on the back side of that grove not visible at all. Just don't want long term damage. Spectrum is looks like its a few weeks out for shipping, time to hit up a few local shops.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On my LX210 I filled some gelcoat damage on the bottom with Marine-Tex (epoxy putty) that I bought at WalMart.

I could not see the damage but felt better knowing it was not leaking water into the fiberglass.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Gelcoat repair is a piece of cake. Find the kit you would like to use and follow mixing directions. Apply and wait for it to harden. Sand and polish then done.

I would recommend a keel guard so that doesn't happen again.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is where I had mine. Seriously considered buying 3 keelguards. Then I figured that was overkil...

Eurocat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry for high jacking this thread, but I can't find the color code for my boat. The owner's manual was no help.
I did several forum searches and looked thru the Yamaha site and couldn't find it.
Spectrum lists 4 different greys for 2014 boats, so I just want to make sure I order the right one.
Any ideas?
TY

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would use this opportunity to invest some time in developing the confidence and skill to do these and larger repairs, based on my experience you will be doing these types of repairs a lot during the lifetime of your vessel, especially if you boat on rivers and small lakes.

Once you do a few successful repairs, finding these "mystery ouchies" will be less of a stress-er and more of an "oh well time to break out the kit" moments. Knowing how to repair your gelcoat will liberate you from the anguish associated with that occasional bump on the dock and let you enjoy the boat more knowing you can get her back to looking like new when you nick that piling or scrape your keel on a submerged log!

Take a look at this video
You might want to be less sloppy when applying your catalysted resin-just saying!

Last edited: