• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Gel coat repair cost

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
A buddy of mine just checked out a boat he is looking to purchase and it has the following damage to the keel. A couple of questions -

20180715_155620.jpg

1. Is this something he can cover with a keel guard and get it taken care of in the offseason?
2. What would be the approximate cost to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

You first want to seal the fiberglass to prevent blistering of the gelcoat first. It wouldn't have to be the neatest job if you cover it with a keelguard.

I would worry about getting the Keel Guard off to make the repair. The adhesive is super aggressive.

You first want to seal the fiberglass to prevent blistering of the gelcoat first. It wouldn't have to be the neatest job if you cover it with a keelguard.

Sealing it with gelcoat or something else?

Yea I'd seal that off first with some gelcoat and then put a keel guard on it if you don't want to spend a lot of time trying to make it look perfect. That being said I will never understand the desire to beach a boat even with a keel guard. These boats can get so shallow there's no need IMO but then again I like my gel coat looking nice and don't want to damage it hitting a rock buried under the clay or sand.

As long as the fiberglass isn't compromised you can get a gelcoat repair kit. If you're going to fix it next season why not just do it now and save the expense of a keelguard and a temporary repair?

If the fiberglass does not show any soft spots, so it is just sanded gelcoat - I would mask the area and gelcoat. Using a Preval disposable units makes it super easy. It will NOT be perfect, will show the "orange peel". But you can make it perfect later with wet sanding and buffing.
DIlute Spectrum gelcoat (best) or whatever gelcoat you get with acetone if too thick to spray (using NO MORE that 20% or so by volume, some say the best is styrene monomer but whatever - acetone works), 2% MEK or so.

It will provide necessary protection. FIne to cover it with keel guard/shield, I would not cover raw fiberglass though.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Preval-9-oz-Complete-Spray-Gun-267/202533738

--

Last edited:
Yea I'd seal that off first with some gelcoat and then put a keel guard on it if you don't want to spend a lot of time trying to make it look perfect. That being said I will never understand the desire to beach a boat even with a keel guard. These boats can get so shallow there's no need IMO but then again I like my gel coat looking nice and don't want to damage it hitting a rock buried under the clay or sand.

Agreed, especially with the swim platform on these boats. It's so nice to back up near a beach and leave it in about 3' of water - easy access on and off, blast tunes onto the beach, etc.

Hmm... I don't know that it is a Yamaha jet boat...
Maybe an older one? Looks way too solid to be the new FRP hull, looks like real fiberglass, old school.

--

Hmm... I don't know that it is a Yamaha jet boat...
Maybe an older one? Looks way too solid to be the new FRP hull, looks like real fiberglass, old school.

--
It's a 2009 232 Limited

It's a 2009 232 Limited
Could be the best jet boat/ MY (2009 242 LS) Yamaha built!

I almost got one two years ago. Still kicking myself a bit.

--

Anyway, as to the repair. If this were my boat, I would DIY the repair. Gelcoat, sand/buff to a reasonable appearance, then cover with a keelguard.

Back