• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Gel coat repair

John Mcpartland

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a small chip close to the step onto the swim deck on the port size just above the rub rail about the size of a quarter. I have a 2017 AR240 blue. So I called spectrum and they don't have and info on a 2017 blue or white. My question is- is the white on the swim deck of the 2017 the same as the 2016 or 2015.
Thanks
John

Hilldale

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 2017 242 Limited S. same thing, Spectrum does not have the codes. I called Yamaha customer service and they gave me the code. Called Spectrum and they are sending the repair kit with the right color.

John Mcpartland

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2017 242 Limited S. same thing, Spectrum does not have the codes. I called Yamaha customer service and they gave me the code. Called Spectrum and they are sending the repair kit with the right color.
It's the same white as the previous years. I had another thread on here and someone found the color code sheet for all the 2017. The white is a perfect color match, the only way to tell the repair is by rubbing your hand on it. Im not quite finished yet, I'll finish when the season is over

geohil

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just used Spectrum Color gelcoat repair paste, which was recommended, and worked really well. They have paste the is colored to Yamaha specs. I'll post a little write-up I did once I get home for the large chunk of gelcoat I took out, which revealed the fiberglass and ruined the grab handle.
IMG_7798.jpg

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If
Bringing back this thread as I just boogered up the white gel coat on the engine cover/seat back on my X. Right on a corner too and all the way down to the fiberglass. Anyone have any experience with this: https://www.amazon.com/MagicEzy-200201-Hairline-Fix-White/dp/B00J2I0CD6/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=gel+coat+repair&qid=1552059447&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1
I've watched the videos and other boating forums seem to be praising it??
If it is hairline or spider crack - maybe...
But i tried their gel coat repair kit (not the hairline, the other one) and it was laughingly bad. It seemed more like liquid vinyl - if that makes sense.

On the other hand, the Spectrum kits are pretty good - you will get a perfect color match, guaranteed, which is halfvthe battle and final results usually limited only by the amount of elbow grease you are willing to sacrifice, lol.

geohil

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If

If it is hairline or spider crack - maybe...
But i tried their gel coat repair kit (not the hairline, the other one) and it was laughingly bad. It seemed more like liquid vinyl - if that makes sense.

On the other hand, the Spectrum kits are pretty good - you will get a perfect color match, guaranteed, which is halfvthe battle and final results usually limited only by the amount of elbow grease you are willing to sacrifice, lol.

It is about a dime size chip down to the fiberglass - but in a very noticeable place.
I'd rather have it match....so Spectrum it is. Just browsing their site and it's buggy. Some of the filters didn't work but I think this is what I need?
YAMAHA BOAT WHITE COAT 5 LVOC 04-18

I have to do some black thanks to a "docking incident" so I guess I'll wear my elbow straight out of grease. At least y'all saved me the $22 mistake of MagicEzy

Ziess21

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Geoff, swing by with a small plastic container (with a lid!) and I'd be happy to give you some white Yamaha gel (this is Stewart @ River City)

geohil

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Geoff, swing by with a small plastic container (with a lid!) and I'd be happy to give you some white Yamaha gel (this is Stewart @ River City)
Thanks Stewart! Will do. I've been meaning to make it by to see the revamped retail area anyway. What days are you working?

Ziess21

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Always here Tues- Sat, closed Sun/Mon. We're still waiting on our spring stock up for tubes and what not so not much new here at the moment besides boats :)

geohil

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Reporting back - gel coat repairs take some time, but are not too tough. Can't even tell where my chip is/was.
Now if anyone knows where to find Yamaha black in the 2oz size for newer Yamaha's I would thank you! Spectrum only has it by the gallon and I don't want to impose on Ziess21 anymore.

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I got mine from iboats.com

Reporting back - gel coat repairs take some time, but are not too tough. Can't even tell where my chip is/was.
Now if anyone knows where to find Yamaha black in the 2oz size for newer Yamaha's I would thank you! Spectrum only has it by the gallon and I don't want to impose on Ziess21 anymore.

Ziess21

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I might have some in stock? lemme check.

geohil

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I might have some in stock? lemme check.
Thanks Stewart - I was trying not to be a pain in your side. (had to edit since I spelled your name wrong....sheesh)

Last edited:

Matt J

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just put a nickel size ding in my gel coat this afternoon putting my boat on our lift at our lake house we bought in March. The lift is a older type that does not lay completely submerged. The front of the lift is exposed which is why I ended up going a little too far forward and made contact below the bow eye about right where the roller sits. I ordered some of the MagicEzy stuff, but from reading the thread I am going to order the Spectrum repair kit. I need the black color, and I am going to try the black(2011) Hopefully it will be close enough that it will not be a issue.. Update...I went to their website and now the Black 2 CCP part# F557021K shows year 2004-2016. Def going to place a order for their patch kit.

Last edited:

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It is about a dime size chip down to the fiberglass - but in a very noticeable place.
I'd rather have it match....so Spectrum it is. Just browsing their site and it's buggy. Some of the filters didn't work but I think this is what I need?
YAMAHA BOAT WHITE COAT 5 LVOC 04-18

I have to do some black thanks to a "docking incident" so I guess I'll wear my elbow straight out of grease. At least y'all saved me the $22 mistake of MagicEzy
Geohil,
Did you have any luck with the color match. I have a ‘18 242x and Spectrum lists the product but one I click to buy it I’m linked to iboats and it’s the 2004-2011 white.

How did you go about getting your white match? Thanks!

geohil

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Geohil,
Did you have any luck with the color match. I have a ‘18 242x and Spectrum lists the product but one I click to buy it I’m linked to iboats and it’s the 2004-2011 white.

How did you go about getting your white match? Thanks!
White matched perfectly!