• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Getting a lift installed have lots questions need help/opinions

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hey guys, having a lift installed soon since we live on water seems to make the most since for us to just bite the bullet and have it done. Know we would use the boat more if it's in our backyard 24/7.

On to the questions:

The company I am talking to is really big on wanting to use Aluminum Bunks with a black protector over the aluminum. I have always seen wood bunks wrapped in carpet. It's about $350 to go back from aluminum to wood. They said if I do wood to save the $350 I will be replacing wood from the salt water problems every few years. Seems a little exaggerated? I've talked to a few people that seem to think wood is the better way to go? Looks like every lift in our neighborhood has wood bunks.

They also want to use an E Drive new motor that is supposed to be less problems than a standard motor. If I go with a standard motor it saves about $350 also. Talked to a few people that said standard motor is the way to go. Cheaper and easier to work on?

Piling size I think I'm gonna go 25' instead of 30' or 50' as water is not very deep back here in the canal. That saves a little bit of $$ also.

Looking to get a 5,000 pound lift. They are really pushing a 7,500 or 10,000 pound lift but I know we won't ever have a boat bigger than 24' Yamaha. We have 2015 SX210 now. I could see getting a 242 Limited SE one day but even that only weights in 3,800 ish pounds. Our SX210 weighs im 2,800 ish pounds. 5,000 pound should be plenty for any boat we will ever get. And if we move one day and someone needs a bigger lift capacity, they can upgrade it.

Trying to get the cost down a little and seems like a few ways I could do it, just not sure it's worth the $$ saved. Opinions on all of this would be much appreciated.

East Coast Boat Lift E drive link:

http://www.eastcoastboatlifts.com/edrive.htm

And a link to a picture of what their aluminum bunks look like.

https://www.google.com/search?q=aluminum.bunk.lift&client=safari&hl=en-us&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjd0P607-7WAhVJw4MKHSAfDzYQ_AUIEygC&biw=375&bih=559#imgrc=RtInAEqjxtDsoM:

Thanks in advance for any and all replies and help!

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@NewBoater, I have had a boat lift with aluminum bunks with black rubber for 5 years. Both of my boats (2008 SX230 and 2013 242LS) have never been harmed by this material. I would not hesitate to use aluminum/rubber bunks. I think wood and carpet lasts pretty well (yes it is an exaggeration) and if it ever decays it is an easy DIY. I alway raise the lift after every departure to not have the rubber soaking in salt or to have the bunks/cables swaying around with the tide and wake. I don't know about an E Drive motor, but can tell you in 5 years I've replaced one of my "standard" motors and the cost for the motor and installation was $400, so I might be inclined to listen to their E Drive upsell recommendation. Are the piling diameters the same between the 25' and 50' timber? When I built my dock, the longer piles also had a larger diameter. If the diameter is larger with the longer pile, I'd consider the more stout piling for the lift. Make sure if the piling is tapered the "butt end" is stuck into the mud, this will increase stability/durability during the inevitable tide rise we will see during the next east coast storm. In terms of the 5k vs. higher poundage, I went with the a 6k option and used the same logic you are considering now. Here are a few wrinkles for the higher poundage option:
-the cradle beams are likely wider with the 7.5k and 10k lifts
-the piling will need to be set wider apart to accommodate these wider cradle beams
-this "added" width makes for simpler docking in wind and current situations (more wiggle room than the more cramped piling dimensions of the 5k lift)
-this "added" width makes it slightly harder to board you boat (think 1-2 feet from your floater/fixed dock) to gain entry inside the boat while on the lift
-most of the 24' "open water" boats (Boston Whaler, Pursuit etc.) with gas, gear, people aboard etc. will exceed 5k ... so a 5k lift is very likely only suitable for a 24' Yamaha

Not sure this helps much, but some data points for you to consider.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It's very helpful and I very much appreciate the information, thanks! The way I look at the weight limit I don't think there's ever going to be a time where all of the people on my boat will be pulled up by the lift. The way our house and dock is designed everyone can hop off easily before I put the boat on the lift and take it off of the lift. So it's just weight of boat, gas, stuff on boat I would be concerned with. I appreciate the information about the larger poundage lift size maybe giving wider widths for pilings though, I did not consider that.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have slings on mine with no ill effects. We recovered this lift that was a prior build on the propeety, and the internet prices for the replacement parts is pretty low. There is a local distributor in my city who is very competitive also. 3/4 hp engine wired was $250 and I installed myself. I also installed heavier cables and pulleys.

For $700 I would suggest sizing up on the capacity. That's the rating when new... In 10 years the system will be tired... Best to build over capacity up front. 1hp engine, if it's rust proof the better.

I saved 50 bucks on motor 4 years ago, then upgraded boat and now it's barely capable. Should have paid for overcapacity then.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The motor on my lift is 25 years old.....keep the bearings greased and had no problems.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would be cautious of any dealer/installer that wants to up sell everything.Sure the aluminum and e motor may be better, but if the money is a deciding factor then save it where you can.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It's not really an upsell it's included in the price but I am asking for ways to get the price down so they are giving me line item prices for these items. They like these items so much that it's included (Of course so the price is higher because of that also) but they said the items are definitely worth the money.

I appreciate the tips so far. I am taking everything under consideration and still talking to them

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Giving this thread a little bump. 90% sure we are getting a lift in a couple of months. Just makes more sense to save the money over the boatel as getting this lift will pay for itself over boatel monthly fees in 3 to 5 years.

Any more info on these options anyone can share with me? Any info is much appreciated.

5,000 pound lift vs 7500 vs 10000

E drive motor vs standard (e drive $350 more)

Aluminum bunks instead of wood bunks $350
Option

What size pilings to get? We are on a canal but the tide can rise quite a bit during hurricanes and noreasters.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Paulie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm really glad that this thread has been bumped. I too am interviewing lift installers as well as dock builders and my head is swimming with choices. I have pretty much decided on a 7500# lift, all aluminum(including the bunks). There are nice side walkways that bolt to the cross beams to make boat access easier. One of the interesting things that I have come across is that there are several different gearing or speed options available for the electric motors. My brother recently had a lift installed and it is crazy slow.
Now as far as the dock build goes, Thats for a whole other thread. :)

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Paulie Just to add some more confusion to your decision ... consider the option of auto stop and a limit switch:

http://www.gemremotes.com/products_systems.html

Why this is relevant for the “seemingly slow lift” concern is ... you press the remote once and the lift will travel to its up limit or bottom stop limit ... without you waiting for the water to boil. You can focus on something else that is more important (winds, tides, windage on the boat etc), while the auto stop is doing its job. Good choice on the poundage rating and use of aluminum bunks. I believe the walk-boards are a nice feature. I don’t have them but some of my neighbors do and it makes washing the boat a lot easier than the gymnastics that I do.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Today was a fun day. After months of waiting for the city to finally approve my permit it was approved and today the boatlift was finally installed. So glad all of this is over as it wasnt a fun ordeal for the permit. Now the electrician just has to come run a 220 circuit down to dock and install the remote control the beginning of next week. Will be so nice always having the boat in the backyard and being able to go out any time the weather is nice on a weekday or weekend. We used to just take it out for the weekend at the boatel but now we will be able to enjoy the boat much more whenever the weather is good. Hope everyone has a great weekend and summer on the water!

Thanks to all for the opinions and help.

Specs I ended up getting.

East Coast 10,000 pound Lift (bigger than I need but may get a bigger boat one day who knows lol and good for resale for the home one day)

30 foot 10” 2.5 marine grade treated wood

E drive quieter less maintenance motor. It’s awesome.

Aluminum bunks

Very happy I just spent a little extra to get the nicer setup. It ended up really good. Will be happy once electrician comes and it’s all set up perfect and wires hidden and look forward to using the remote control!

Attachments