• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Getting boat lift installed. Need help with ideas for how to do piling setup for easy on off boat

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Does a lift only work one way or when you need gas can you put boat in so that fuel is on right side?

I plan on keeping boat with bow facing out to canal so I can drive right out each time with no reverse. If I drive in the other way with bow facing the end of our canal the fuel would be on right side? Will Lift work right for either orientation/direction of boat or it only works one way?
If you use straps vs cradle it doesn't matter.

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Two thoughts - you want the stern lower than the bow so water in the boat gets back to the bilge pump (not just 'boating' water but rain water). Makes using the lift in the 'opposite' direction a pain - doable in temporary condition but I wouldn't want to leave the boat like that. (Note that you should be able to adjust which end is higher and by how much - ask your lift guy.) In any case, IMO offset lift is the answer and which one depends on which way the bow points. Our situation is a bit different because the dock is parallel to the lift but in any case the easiest place to board is the swim platform. Next choice would be the sitting areas. Center the lift and the helm (windshield, etc.) would probably end up opposite the dock. PITA to get in! Other factor is distance from end of dock to boat BTW... Need to address that when you install.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Two thoughts - you want the stern lower than the bow so water in the boat gets back to the bilge pump (not just 'boating' water but rain water). Makes using the lift in the 'opposite' direction a pain - doable in temporary condition but I wouldn't want to leave the boat like that. (Note that you should be able to adjust which end is higher and by how much - ask your lift guy.) In any case, IMO offset lift is the answer and which one depends on which way the bow points. Our situation is a bit different because the dock is parallel to the lift but in any case the easiest place to board is the swim platform. Next choice would be the sitting areas. Center the lift and the helm (windshield, etc.) would probably end up opposite the dock. PITA to get in! Other factor is distance from end of dock to boat BTW... Need to address that when you install.
Thanks for the tips and opinions. Didn’t think about bow higher part but makes sense for rain water. Although the mooring cover will be on. I’ll use it the same way pulling in all the time on the lift but for fueling lift down spin boat around to put fuel in or just bring it close to bulkhead away from pier or just lean over for fueling (pita)

Which number in my drawings makes most sense to you to keep center of boat and swim platform available for entry/exit?

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@NewBoater my apologies, I did not read all the the constraints you are working with before my posts. My permit took 180 days and I have a sense of the tribulations you are dealing with. Would it be possible to "request" a permit officer (the individual that does the onsite inspection) to visit with you on your property and discuss your options and trade-offs? I found the people at the "home office" in my town's planning (aka growth prevention) department to be complete blockers, who were content delaying my pier approval process as long as possible. During the onsite inspection, the permit office was a complete breath of fresh air. He didn't share the same drag your feet and vest in-peace mentality as the home office staffers. We discussed the constraints of my property (linear feet of shore-line, aquatic vegetation growth, neighboring piers etc.) and the "wishes" I had for a pier and dock. The permit officer thew out the drawings that had emerged from the flawed back-and-forth activities with the planning department and sketched out a "new" design. The new design was consistent with the town/state regulations, but was also very accommodating to my boating needs. The final permit office drawing (from this on-site inspection) was approved the next day and my build permit was quickly issued. 2-years later the property next-door was sold and my new neighbor went through the same trials and frustrations. I told him to request the on-site inspection and the same positive results occurred with a different permit officer.

I know you live in a different state and you might be rolling your eyes that this is a unique and specialized situation, BUT before you invest hard-earned money in a dock you are going to use for the next 10-20 years, I recommend you work an escalation and attempt to change this outcome. I don't mean to throw a fly in your ointment as you are chomping at the bit to commence boating season, but why not give this "escalation" or process reset a shot? Nothing ventured ... nothing gained? Ok more eye rolling ... so final comment ... the "planning approval" function in your local town, works for you. You purchased expensive waterfront property, likely putting you in the top 5% of the towns annual tax payers. These taxes pay the planning department's salaries. You are their customer. Your tax dollars float their boat. Squeaky impeller gets the yamalube!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I rigged mine (borrowed from Brother in Law) such that the height difference from front to back is due to different length slings. Worst case, swap the slings to store the boat in opposite direction. All of this is a pain, and I have yet to flip the boat to lift it the "wrong" way. but if needed, it could be done.

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Which one of #3 or #4 depends on which way you want the bow to point and where you are on the canal in relation to other lifts 'cause otherwise they're the same thing really. We have an elevator lift and are one lot from the end of the canal so I've set it up so that I turn the boat around to dock and then just drive off when we want to leave. (No prop, no lower housing. Wait until lift is about a foot below boat and just go straight ahead!) When I was considering a 4 post lift, the idea was to turn the boat when going away since going past the house, turning around, and squeezing in made no sense.
I would pull the boat up to the side of the dock you're considering - before deciding on final layout - and go from there. Remember too that the boat is probably NOT going to be centered between the posts. In our (24') case about 1/3 of the boat is ahead of the lift (front arm is at the front of the helm, back is under the back side of the engines). Ask your lift guy about this for the lift you're looking at.
Another alternative to consider for you might be to put the boat the way that's acceptable for you and then if you have someone that has difficulty boarding (for example my 90y.o. in-laws), take the boat off the lift and pull up to the side of the dock, stern closest to land. (Here tides and height from dock to water will be an issue...)
PS: pretty sure #1 is a non starter because of the distance between the pilings - just guessing but they look too close together...

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ended up going with a setup close to #3 in my pictures from page 1.

Today was a fun day. After months of waiting for the city to finally approve my permit it was approved and today the boatlift was finally installed. So glad all of this is over as it wasnt a fun ordeal for the permit. Now the electrician just has to come run a 220 circuit down to dock and install the remote control the beginning of next week. Will be so nice always having the boat in the backyard and being able to go out any time the weather is nice on a weekday or weekend. We used to just take it out for the weekend at the boatel but now we will be able to enjoy the boat much more whenever the weather is good. Hope everyone has a great weekend and summer on the water!

Thanks to all for the opinions and help.

Specs I ended up getting.

East Coast 10,000 pound Lift (bigger than I need but may get a bigger boat one day who knows lol and good for resale for the home one day)

30 foot 10” 2.5 marine grade treated wood

E drive quieter less maintenance motor. It’s awesome.

Aluminum bunks

Very happy I just spent a little extra to get the nicer setup. It ended up really good. Will be happy once electrician comes and it’s all set up perfect and wires hidden and look forward to using the remote control!

Attachments

Scoop

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
1 to 2 feet at low tide could be a problem depending on the profile/ type of lift. The stainless steel beam will be 6-8 inches and the bunks will probably be at least 6 possibly 4 inches. The Keel will extend below the bunks but you must have a few inches between the keel and the beams. Bottom line is you will probably need about an additional 12 to what your boat normally draws to float it on and off in low tide.

In any case whoever installs your lift should be aware of all of this.

Scoop

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We put it on tonight at one of the lowest tides I’ve seen no problem at all. I think I’m good to go based on any tides, thankfully! The water is Deep though at the end of the pier even at low tide. The water against the bulkhead at low tide is another story (1-2 foot)

Last edited:

Scoop

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Good deal, looks like an awesome setup.

Scoop