• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Glassing in a transducer

SB78

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2019 Yamaha SX190 and I'm looking to do an in-hull transducer install. The units I am most interested in only have transom mount transducers that can be glassed in, so the issue is finding a flat spot to install them (because they don't adjust to the angle). My problem is that there is no flat spot available. The only feasible location for a transducer install rests on an angle of around 18 degrees. Before giving up and settling for a unit with the adjustable in-hull transducer, I wanted to run an idea by this group. My thought was using epoxy to build a flat base (as thin as possible - just enough to bring the angle up), let it harden up and then glass-in the transducer on top of the epoxy base. Is this a stupid idea or would it work?

JTrottaNY

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Most "shoot-thru" transducers will give a max thickness- you might want to check with the manufacturer and see if they can offer some type of guideline when "converting" a transom mount. From there you would have to estimate how thick your buildup will be plus the hull thickness.

You could also try building it out of clay/putty first and put the transducer in a bag of water to mock it up. Just be sure to get all the air bubbles out of the putty to get your best readings.

For actual shoot-thru transducers airmar makes angled mounting blocks to compensate for the hull angle.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Testing is the way to do it. As a transducer location can be tested by laying it on a bag of water. If you can get a good reading, you should be able to get it to work with epoxy.

That being said, you need to have no bubbles at all in the epoxy. You will also loose surface temp or any down scanning or side scanning features. If they work, it will be limited.

Any reason you just don't transom mount it as suggested by the MFG? drilling and filling holes is no less messy than a pool of epoxy, hanging upside down in an engine bay.

Good luck either way. I've done both.

SB78

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks guys.

I'm not interested in a transom mount simply because it's an eye-soar, the SX190's rear seating deck makes it impractical to install and I just don't want to drill holes that I don't have to. My 'Plan B' units have the angled in-hull transducers, so I have viable options.

In addition to the thickness, the epoxy bubbles is one concern I had as well.

As for testing, can't test something I haven't bought yet :) I'm in Canada, so most of these things have to be ordered online, and it's a pain to return if it doesn't work. Just want to get some comfort before ordering.

I will check with the manufacturers for options, but if they can't give me comfort, looks like it will just be Plan B for me.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks guys.

I'm not interested in a transom mount simply because it's an eye-soar, the SX190's rear seating deck makes it impractical to install and I just don't want to drill holes that I don't have to.
Before blowing it off, keep in mind, the transducer will be nowhere near your swimdeck. We all have rear seating as well, and the transducer is down at the lowest part of the hull. Those that are afraid of holes below the waterline will usually glue/epoxy transducer boards or starboard to the hull to put their screws into. Pretty common practice on any boat with an aftermarket sonar.

Like I said, I've done both, so I understand the thought process. And just about any transducer will shoot through hull if installed correctly. And if it tests poorly, your plan be is get out the starboard or HDP to go on the stern.

Good luck,

SB78

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Problem solved. Humminbird offers a free transducer exchange program, so I can get an angled in-hull transducer from them at no extra cost.

SB78

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I know there has been a lot of debate around whether to use epoxy, silicon, 3m5200, etc., but I am going to go with an epoxy and probably just a standard 5 minute quick set option. My question is whether it needs to be clear/translucent. I noticed some of the marine-specific epoxies are white, so if I want a translucent option, my options are pretty just the standard 5 minute sets. Are these generally okay for fiberglass applications?

JTrottaNY

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I dont believe sonar is affected by color. FWIW the stuff that came with a humminbird shoot-thru was cream colored