• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Glastron 187 vs 207 - need your opinions

soundshark

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello all - new member here from Long Island.
I got the "boating itch" since I bought a Waverunner last year. PWC are fun but I am ready to step up, and started looking at boats.
I narrowed down the choice between the 187 and 207. There is obviously a few thousand $ difference, but how about other factors?
Is the 207 significantly better on the sea due to the extra 2 feet?
For someone who has never had a boat (but is very comfortable doing anything on a jetski), is the smaller model easier to dock, navigate, and handle?
I am mostly planning to ride it in the Long Island Sound but occasionally going out in the open ocean when it's calm.
I'm not planning to have many people on it, it's mostly just me and my wife so capacity doesn't really matter.
Final question: what color is the most popular?

Last edited:

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am assuming you have narrowed it down to a Glastron. There are many manufacturers with similar, competing products........But yes, 2 feet on the water will always give a better ride with similar boats. Also, I have found that there is a significant interior space gain by each 2 foot jump. I know it is that way on the Yamahas.

soundshark

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks, I am not completely ruling out the Yamaha SX210 (I like the idea of twin engine), but they also cost a bit more, plus I love the Glastron design.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't think anyone here has one of the new GTS's yet?

I looked pretty heavily at them at one point in time. Really dug the red. I had an 18' Challenger, which I imagine handles exactly the same. It was an absolute breeze. Tons of fun with only 2 people on board.

I quickly learned I wanted bigger though. Kept her less than a year, and bought a 24 footer. If you're concerned with the ride, you'll be disappointed in the 187 I think. Not sure how Glastron does the storage, but my seadoo was lacking in that department also. I'd recommend going 21' if it's in the budget. As they say, buy your second boat first. Regardless, I love the looks of the new GTS boats and don't think you could go wrong either way.

jgiovino

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
I own the GTS 207.
I love it.
I have been exclusively a stern drive owner for the last 15 years.

The 187 and the 207 are exactly the same in every way except the 2 feet for the U shaped rear seat.
The 207 is the biggest 20 foot boat I have ever been in. I assume the 187 will be the same for an 18.
The 'aft lounge' is the exact same on both boats and it is awesome.

Both hulls are considered deep V 21 degree deadrise so the handling should be comparable.
I have not driven the 187 but the first thing I noticed about the 207 and I assume jet boats in general is that the seas can pick up and cary your boat way from you. There is no rudder or keel or anything to stabilize it at slow speeds. You have to power out of a lot of situations. I would not, at this point, want to bring this boat through a busy and choppy channel.

Handling at docking speeds SUCKS. It will probably be easier for you since you have a jetski background; but for me it is a huge learning curve. It is completely different and you have to kill the motor completely for a true neutral. With that said the boat is very responsive at docking speed. Its just that I don't know how to drive it yet.

I my opinion it boils down to: do you want the U shaped rear seat?

I hope this helps.

jgiovino

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
I forgot your color query. I got the orange and blue. I am a Sabres fan too.
Both color schemes look great to me.
In my case it was a matter of what was available and made the best deal.

soundshark

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks, that's encouraging. I'm also told that the larger boat will handle the chop better. So for that reason, I'm leaning towards the 207. (Or a Yamaha 21')

I think you're right re docking, the jet ski was strange at first and then I got used to it and it's a piece of cake now.

Could you post a photo of your boat?

jgiovino

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Since you say your considering Yamaha, please provide your thoughts when comparing the Glastron 207 to Yamaha 21.

I wanted to buy a used Yamaha; but they just don't seem to be for sale in my area.
Maybe its because everybody loves their boat and they don't want to part with it.
For me the difference was the the Yamaha dealer salesperson was insulting and never attempted to answer my tech questions.
The Glastron dealer had the Glastron regional rep call me and talk at length and in great detail.

What sold the Glastron for me was the swim platform, fit/finish, and the closed cooling.
Being a stern drive owner in saltwater turned me into a sterndrive mechanic and not a boater.
I do not want to run salt water through my brand new engine block.
The concensus, however seems to be that a properly flushed Yamaha will last a long time.
You still have to flush the Glastron to get the salt water out of the exhaust and the inner cooler.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bigger is better and twin engines are even better.

@jgiovino, it sounds like you will want to add some fins to the jets to assist with low speed handling and tracking. I believe that Cobra Jet Steering and Jet Boat Pilot will have options for you.

With twin engines models we can vary the thrust between the engines to steer and position the boat. It is possible to walk it sideways with practice. We can easily spin in place.

soundshark

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
At this point I would be fine with either the Glastron GT207 or a Yamaha SX210. They are both excellent.
It really comes down to what kind of deal I can get, and whether the dealer will trade in my 1 year old waverunner (VX deluxe).

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@soundshark Welcome to our community.

I want to give you a small piece of advice before you make a decision. The Glastron is a good boat. The fit and finish is nice, but make sure you do a thorough sea trial before you take possession.

Also, consider that this boat has a rotax engine, but almost none of the electronics that make the engine efficient, and easy to maneuver. You will have some options with your smart gauge, but you will loose most. IE: Docking, Eco, Ski....

I would look at the Yamaha boats, Chaparral has a similar 21ft, and of course Scarab before you commit. I love the classic pointy nose hull on the Glastron, seating, and the rear swim platform are sick. The GTS color packages are nice too.

Good luck with whatever you purchase, and I hope you post a ton of pics and videos.

soundshark

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks. Coming from a Yamaha jet ski (with none of the fancy seadoo maneuvering features, not even neutral) -- how would you compare the docking experience with a Glastron or Scarab jet boat?

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I haven't had the luxury of driving a Glastron Jet, just a stern drive. But without the smart throttle systems, you can really damage the boat on the dock or at the beach. The smart throttle system limits the RPMs and allows the full use of the reverse bucket while docking. Even if you hit the throttle to the max, it will only allow the boat's engine to 3k RPM. Trust me, its one thing I will never be without.

Eco mode, the engine finds the perfect mix of air/fuel and maintains the maximum gallons per hour on the engine.

SKI mode: The ECU has different levels of expertise. When you select one, it will remember the speed, and gradually speed up to it so it wont tug your arms off.
No matter how many times you go, the boat will react exactly the same.

My boat, and I know the Chaparrals are so precise on the docks, it feels like you have a joystick.

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Sorry, I haven't been her much to respond. I was in your position about a year ago. I went with the 207

The extra space on the U-shaped bench is nice, gives a bit of lounge area or you could wedge another couple of passengers in there.
The down side is it is the same engine on both boats, so pushing the extra size takes a bit of a toll on top end, etc.

The Glastron is NOT a Scarab. If I had to do again, I think I would go with the 18 Scarab (paying an extra ~$20k for 20' is crazy). The fit and finish seemed nicer, and there are the little things like Mike mentioned above. Stuff like the Glastron gauges aren't as nice as the scarab (very limited information, think check engine light as opposed to information display).

I am sure every boat has its quirks, but I haven't had problems parking in the lift that makes me think I would require a docking mode, but my prior boat was a SeaDoo so maybe I was used to it. My last boat only had 4 seats, because it was only me and my wife. Stange how how many more friends you will have once you get a boat. LOL.

So, that being said, if you are going into rougher water, or want the spend the day on the boat, get the 207. If you wand the speed and maneuverability over size and comfort, get the 187. If you want even more speed, look at the Scarb Twin Engine.

soundshark

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Stange how how many more friends you will have once you get a boat. LOL.
This. I haven't even got the boat yet but several people have expressed their desire to deepen our friendship. LOL

tomfoolery

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
Hello all - new member here from Long Island.
I got the "boating itch" since I bought a Waverunner last year. PWC are fun but I am ready to step up, and started looking at boats.
I narrowed down the choice between the 187 and 207. There is obviously a few thousand $ difference, but how about other factors?
Is the 207 significantly better on the sea due to the extra 2 feet?
For someone who has never had a boat (but is very comfortable doing anything on a jetski), is the smaller model easier to dock, navigate, and handle?
I am mostly planning to ride it in the Long Island Sound but occasionally going out in the open ocean when it's calm.
I'm not planning to have many people on it, it's mostly just me and my wife so capacity doesn't really matter.
Final question: what color is the most popular?
I own a 2014 GT187...... I bought it for tubing and touring.
Control at the dock is tricky TRUE.... but with a bit of practice it is very easy. Fenders help the dock rash.
Control of a jet is a lot different than a stern or out drive.
As for size thats a personal choice. I have a 35' Sea Ray cruiser that is my main stay so the jet is a luxury toy for water sports with the family.
NO ISSUES at 33 hours. I mean NONE. I have a friend selling a different brand by services my motor and drive under warrantee.
Top speed with 2 passengers and ½ tank of fuel just bouncing off 50 MPG on dash and 49.8 on Garmin hand held GPS.
What I did was buy a small boat with fun factor.... down and dirty...... great for marina cruise but a capable lake jumper as well.
Re did audio system with JL Audio and remotes.
When in doubt buy bigger.... its costly to move up after the fact.
FUN FACTOR.... the water level entry is awesome for a swim. We often ride out 3-5 miles in Lake Ontario and drift, swimming and hanging out with the tunes rippen!
GLASTRON ROCKS!!!!

Last edited:

Edward

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Back in 2006 when I purchased my first boat, a Glastron GT185 one of my boat friends told me to get as big a boat as my wallet would afford now because even though you think 18 is big enough, soon enough more friends and family will want to go out with you and then space can get tight. We looked at an 18 and 20 and decided on the 18 as the 20 just seemed way too much boat for us.....2 years later we were ready for bigger but just couldn't move into a bigger boat until this year, which is now a yammie ar240.

I recently told my friend he was right....and that we should have gone bigger in the beginning.

Personally, I never had good service from my Glastron dealer. Never. Ended up going to a dealer that didn't sell Glastrons and that's how I got introduced to Yamaha boats and my current dealer.

Scarab, chapparel, Glastron and Yamaha all make good jet boats. Everyone has their personal preference, but remember to ensure you have a good reputable dealer before committing. I can't stress enough how important a reputable dealer and service department is.

Good luck and hope this helps.

tomfoolery

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
GOOD DEALER = GOOD TIMES