• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Glastron Jet boats my take

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Ok, I will post more as my information is released from another site.
At the Chicago Boat and RV show, i will say I was much more impressed with the look, feel, and construction of the Glastron boats than the Scarab. The Scarab is simply a SeaDoo hull and engine with a new top half. Shallow storage and a hull that looks fast but is probably not the best.
The Glastron has a very classic look, at least the 21 footer i was looking at. I would skip the 187 IMO as it looked like a cross between a grown up boat and a toy. I'm only 30, so a toy boat still sounds fun, but it just looks tacky. The 215? from Glastron was a very sharp boat and seemed well constructed all around, especially vs the Scarab at the show that was falling apart, peeling apart, and had bolts coming out in various places.

Hope this helps anyone that feels like purchasing!

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I saw the Glastron up close at the dealer meeting in August up in Michigan. I got a chance to drive the boat and it was a nice ride for what it was. As for fit and finish I give it a 9 of 10 with 10 being the best. Power I give it a 10 of 10. Storage I give it a 5 of 10. Looks/Styling I give it a 8 of 10. Quality is to be determined but if the SeaDoo motors are true to form I would say that reliability will be 7 of 10.

The concern of clearing a clogged jet pump is a big one for me. Also the scheduled 200 hour supercharger rebuild and recommended 91 Octane fuel are both negatives that must be overcome.

If Glastron can get the price under that of the Yamaha they will sell some. If not I am not sure of the future for the new Glastron Jets.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Before I bought my Yamaha AR192 I looked at the Glastron and the Scarab hard. I decided I wasn't willing to pay the Scarab HO Impulse price and the AR192 was hardly a step below in features, so that left the Glastron GTS 187 and the Yami. I love the the interior with the quilted stitching and the graphics on the Glastron quite a bit better than that of the Yamaha. The tower design on the Glastron also seems a lot more user friendly when needing to fold. At first I was also excited bout the thought of 250hp in an 18' package, but I have heard that the Superchargers on the Rotax engines tend to need more love. What really turned me off was that besides the seating fabric, the rest of the boat seemed very cheaply built. The dealer tried to sell me on the retro look, but my take on that was that is exactly what the manufacturer was trying to do to pass off cheap components and switches. I didn't like that they just slapped some chrome edging on the port and starboard consoles instead of finishing them off and creating storage space like the Yamaha. I would understand if the price was cheaper, but if I matched the options to what the AR192 included the boat was just as expensive and I think even a little more. That said I could have probable got the dealer to beat the Yamaha price after some haggling, but if you really spend some time sitting on both boats you will see how much more usable the Yamaha is with it's storage everywhere, extra interior space (especially in the bow), and more comfortable transom lounge. To me that is the most important piece of a boat. Many don't like the bench seat in place of a captains chair on the Yamaha (I didn't originally either), but after you factor the space savings the bench offers, storage space underneath, and seven more inches of beam on the Yamaha vs. the Glastron, it makes a huge difference in cockpit space. When I hit the water I often have 6 adults in the boat and I don't think any other 19' package would feel that comfortable seating that many. Of course the boat seats up to 8, but seating a boat to capacity is like trying to sleep more than two people in a 4-man tent. I have not regretted my Yamaha purchase one ounce as of yet, but I still do think the Glastron looks like a sexier, faster package. I hope the Glastron jets do survive. Competition forces inovation and I have seen some great ideas from both sides. Maybe one day Rec. Holdings and Yamaha can team up on the holy grail of jet boats (with Yamaha engines of course though!).

Last edited: