• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

going to key Largo this weekend, tell me about sea conditions....

Sidarousmg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
taking a last minute, long weekend trip to key largo and renting a 212 limited while we're down there. looking at the marine forecast, friday and saturday calls for "winds near 15 knots. Seas 2 to 3 feet. Nearshore waters a moderate chop". how bad will this be on a 21 footer? should i change plans and make other arrangements, or will we be able to do some snorkeling and hang out at the sandbars? how windy or choppy does it get before you guys decide it's not worth it?
thanks in advance for all your comments.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is not going to be pleasant but you should be able to go either on the north or south side and get some protection

Danielmailin

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
A 21 would be fine, Your best day will be Saturday, 1 to 1.5 waves 10 to 15 winds, it may get better.
If you are in Key Largo, you can go to Carysfort or Molasses reef. If you are in the Molasses area, you can hit Mosquito Bank as a sand bar, less then a mile away, crystal clear water.
Best area to launch from would be John Penekamp Park, make sure you get there early as it gets full quickly. Follow the idle and no wake zones as they are everywhere as you leave the park.
Make sure you have a depth finder and GPS as you can run into a sandbar of you are not paying attention and if the tide is low.Screenshot_20201110-204033_SailFlow.jpgScreenshot_20201110-203949_SailFlow.jpg

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
There are a couple storms out there and weather has not been great in Orlando the past couple of days. Depending on what they do/how they track it could be a problem, or it could suck all the moisture out of that area and you'll have great weather. Hard to say really, unfortunately:

Sidarousmg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
i don't usually take many pictures while i'm on vacation. i try to disconnect, not carry my phone, and enjoy the moment in real time, but here are a couple of pictures for the last trip to key largo. i hope we're this fortunate again, i'm taking a whole new group that has never been to the keys before...

Attachments

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
#Sidarousmg where was picture taken? Where ocean side, off MM, GPS, Landmarks(lighthouse/reef)

Looks like a nice sand bar

Sidarousmg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
those pictures were at the sandbar near mosquito banks. ocean side. it's about 2 miles north east of rodriguez key.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
taking a last minute, long weekend trip to key largo and renting a 212 limited while we're down there. looking at the marine forecast, friday and saturday calls for "winds near 15 knots. Seas 2 to 3 feet. Nearshore waters a moderate chop". how bad will this be on a 21 footer? should i change plans and make other arrangements, or will we be able to do some snorkeling and hang out at the sandbars? how windy or choppy does it get before you guys decide it's not worth it?
thanks in advance for all your comments.
Go bay side..

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I been to Christ statue and never knew or saw that sandbar when I was on skis.

I cant wait too the winds die down and I can finally test boat after fixing cracked cylinder head.
it's a 2 hr drive and always looking to explore with other members.

maybe next time your in my area.

Sidarousmg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
flew back in last night and i miss it already. i have to find a way to make a permanent move to southern Florida....weather cooperated, even if it was a little choppy on Saturday, even managed to get a little bit of fishing in.....

Attachments

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Cant beat that!
Water was so clear.