• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Good wakeboard for the both of us?

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hi all, we just bought a 242 LSE! Can't wait for warmer weather. I was looking for recommendations on a beginner / intermediate board for my wife and I.

Me: 5'8", 170 lbs. Wakeboarded in my teens and 20s (almost 40 now)
Her: 5'3", 130-140 lbs, has never wakeboarded or done any other water sports.

Also any suggestions for ropes? Are tubing ropes (plan on doing this for the kids) different than wakeboarding ropes?

Thanks!

John Mcpartland

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Tube ropes can stretch where wakeboard ropes don't have any stretch. To bad you weren't closer, I have 2 wakeboards I would sell really cheap. A womens 132 and mens 140. Both hyperlite.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There are a lot of great boards on the market that are good for beginners and can grow with you.

I've had good luck with my Hyperlite boards. My recommendation for this situation would be their "State 2.0" package (140cm length). It will have great control for a beginner but won't limit someone a little more advanced. It has the option for a center fin for even more stability (although trainers will tell you to learn without because it doesn't teach the edge control more advanced boards require to carve). It's big enough for you but small enough for her. So long as you can fit the same bindings. He's a link to the package. Look for deals on previous years models. http://www.hyperlite.com/en/product/wakeboard-packages-state-remix-blue

Ropes can vary widely between sports. You will want a separate type for your tube for certain. Something long enough to get past the jet wash (70') is what I hear a lot of people recommend for tubes.

Ski ropes can be pretty generic nylon ropes as most prefer a fair amount of stretch in the rope.

Wakeboarding on the other hand a rope with little or no stretch is what's preferred. It will build power quick and help pull you thru jumps and tricks. You'll also want a segmented rope you can vary the length with to help get you in the sweet spot in the wake. I use a Ronix 3.0 rope (https://www.wakemakers.com/ronix-combo-3-0-wakeboard-rope-handle.html). You could get by with a decent ski rope but I think the right rope is worth it.

Last edited:

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Levi Weatherford

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I will also add that using a generic regular ski rope attached to a wake tower is really dangerous as well. I cannot stress this enough. Regular ski ropes have too much elasticity and the handle will become a missile if the skier or wakeboarder cannot hold on to the rope from a deep water start. Ask my family how we know. My wife and kids had major contusions(bruises) from a ski handle slingshotting from the water.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will also add that using a generic regular ski rope attached to a wake tower is really dangerous as well. I cannot stress this enough. Regular ski ropes have too much elasticity and the handle will become a missile if the skier or wakeboarder cannot hold on to the rope from a deep water start. Ask my family how we know. My wife and kids had major contusions(bruises) from a ski handle slingshotting from the water.
That's wild! I've never seen that before, but I guess you've seen the marks to prove it... are you sure they weren't using a bungee cord? ;) I used a ski rope for years thinking it was okay and never had it come close to whipping all the way back, I'm sure it all depends on the rope.

Edit to my first post: I would probably recommend the 140cm board.

John Mcpartland

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's wild! I've never seen that before, but I guess you've seen the marks to prove it... are you sure they weren't using a bungee cord? ;) I used a ski rope for years thinking it was okay and never had it come close to whipping all the way back, I'm sure it all depends on the rope.

Edit to my first post: I would probably recommend the 140cm board.
We habe had i happen with a wakeboard rope. If someone is strong enough they will build up a lot of tension and shot the rope back at the boat. We had one fly through and over the bow once.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Never seen a dedicated wakerope slingshot like that. Even on someone loosing grip just before liftoff. Had a ton of ski-ropes do that. Actually have a chip in the gelcoat on the swim deck from this happening last season with a friends ski rope that they preffered to my wake rope. Never again with little ones in the boat.

Levi Weatherford

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yeah, I am only talking about a regular old ski-rope. I have never seen a static line wakeboard rope do it. Like you, never again, will I use a regular ski-rope from the tower. Now if you use the lower attachment on the transom it is fine. But who uses the lower rope attachment when you have a fancy tower. :)

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So do you suggest using a Wake rope as a ski rope?

Levi Weatherford

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would suggest buying only a high quality static wakeboard rope(Ronix, ect.) for pulling from the tower. The price hurts at first but not nearly as much as seeing your little kid and wife crying from the rope bouncing off the back of my wife's arm and hitting my kid in the head. :) Or when you ski use the lower tow point attachment at the swim deck.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We used a ski rope initially for surfing, as we were deciding if we wanted to get into it or not. We figured out real quick why a surf rope has a padded handle. As they don't hurt as much when launched at the folks on the deck.

Honestly, a ski rope will spring back at the boat if the rider is unable to get up. And it is something everyone in the boat should be aware of at launch mostly. Any other fall is usually at the side of the wake, or at low tension and will not launch it at the boat. (but it can happen)

That being said, once we switched to a no-stretch wakeboard rope, this is not an issue. The handle is much wider as well, and you don't have to adjust for the amount of stretch experienced, as there truly is none.

Good tips on the board choices. I bought a Ronix Vault with bindings that could adjust from like 7-11 and it allows us all to share the same board. As skill levels get better, we will add to the quiver, but this board allows us all to share. It also saves space on the tower racks!

Good luck