• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

got on the scale

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
the boat that is...:)

Long story...
-Multiple times I have seen online that the boat weighs over 3000lbs and with gear, lube, fuel, it would be easily over 3500lbs. Today I found out that is not the case.
-Purchased some new wheels and tires for my upcoming trip. Original was D rated and new one is C rating. I was bit nervous because of the weight of the boat is over 3500lbs (internet told me... lol) each tire would need to bear 1750lbs and the tire was rated for 1480lbs.
-I have recently moved the bow stop to be able to fit in the garage. I felt as if the boat was too far forward compare to the others. I have also switched the bunks so the longer wood is sitting on the front end, and moved front bunk mount a notch higher, in turn moving the bow stop a notch higher also. I found out today I can move the bow stop towards the rear of the trailer by another 3 inches which will help my tongue weight.
-TRUCK & BOAT both were full of gas
-I was charged for 3 separate weigh ins....

now the story on the scale. I found on the web that this is a good practice so I weighed in as instructed...but i realized 2nd weigh was not needed as the scale read each individual axles the first time(spacing worked out)
The difference was only 10lbs. (see 2nd pic)
so my tongue weight was somewhere around 500lbs which i think is bit high so I will move the boat back few inches.

1-All wheels on scale. Truck(2 axles)+Trailer (1axle) TOTAL WEIGHT
2-Truck off scale, Trailer Attached (BOAT + TRAILER - TONGUE)
3- Truck off scale, Trailer with trailer jack lowered (FULL TRAILER+BOAT weight)

1-8760
2-2420
3-2920

Truck - 5840
Boat & Trailer - 2920
Tongue - 500
Weight on Trailer Axle - 2420

Last edited:

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yamaha's specified weight for the SX190 is 2121 pounds. The 30 gallons of fuel should weigh around 210 pounds for a total of 2,331. Based on that the trailer must be around 600 pounds.

Personally I prefer a trailer to be a little tongue heavy. With a 5,840 pound truck 500 pounds of tongue weight should not be an issue. Hauling tractors on my equipment trailer I like to have them far enough forward to see the truck start to squat.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Yamaha's specified weight for the SX190 is 2121 pounds. The 30 gallons of fuel should weigh around 210 pounds for a total of 2,331. Based on that the trailer must be around 600 pounds.

Personally I prefer a trailer to be a little tongue heavy. With a 5,840 pound truck 500 pounds of tongue weight should not be an issue. Hauling tractors on my equipment trailer I like to have them far enough forward to see the truck start to squat.
thats good to know. It dropped the truck about 3inches(eye balling) when the trailer was hitched up. I also have 5 1/2" drop hitch on mine which was used on a lifted Jeep. I think I'm going to get me a 2" drop hitch.

all the "weight" specification i found online was 3000lbs dry... but i guess is not :)

did you notice I "way"ed in lol thats what the cashier wrote haha

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is your current truck lifted or are you using a 5.5" drop hitch with a stock height truck? Having the ball that low is going to change the angle of the trailer and I believe increase the tongue weight.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
its factory height so yea i need less drop hitch also. buying tomorrow :)

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
That's good info. Makes me feel better about pulling behind my MDX as I was assuming I was more like 3500 wet. Still would have been fine, but less weight is better.

Just the opposite, I had a buddy pulling a 22' pontoon boat behind a Honda Pilot. I told him I thought he might be a bit over max towing capacity (4500...so the 80% rule says he should really stay under 3600). According to the scales at Loves by Lake Mitchell he was at almost 6K.:wideyed: Best to weigh out and really see where you are at...or have another member do it for you! :thumbsup:

BlacklimitedS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I purchased an adjustable height hitch. Theses are expensive but help with fine tuning your tongue weight. I tow with my wife's Suburban and my Tundra. The Suburban's insert is in the bumper while the Tundra' is below. Something else to consider is how much gear you are hauling in the bed. The Ram has a coil over rear suspension which is great for ride quality but reduces the amount of total weight on the rear of the truck.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
i only tow this boat so i am very content with the ride quality of the Ram. better than some cars AND quieter also.

a lot of people do rear airbag upgrade if they need to put more weight in the bed but total weight i can have in the car is like only 1200lbs... 4 adults and luggage you're done for lol

Higgy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I weighed my 2015 in the same way shortly after I purchased it. I did it at my work that happens to have a scale so it was free but I didn't get a nice printout. Just wanted to post my weight for comparison and if anyone is curious.

2015 SX192, Shorelander trailer and
2006 GMC Sierra Denali

Truck + Boat and Trailer 8480
Boat Trailer axle 2680
Boat and Trailer total 2980
Tongue 300

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Hmmmm, makes me wanna weight my truck and boat on the scale once.
I wonder how accurate the scale is at the scrap yard? I frequent there. Right now it's just a little low in value so i have a copper wire box storing up, but maybe in spring we can see how much I weigh in!

S6T6

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It amazes me that at 2920 lbs total weight of boat+trailer that Yamaha didn't at least include surge brakes on these trailers. Very thin margin to stay under 3000 lb brake requirement. Just adding a few gallons of fuel puts it over. I guess this means I'll be dropping another $500-$600 to add brakes.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
well, per yamaha its 2121 + trailer + fuel + gear... so its not really bad

but i already replied on your other post... get your self aftermarket brake pads and call it a day. Most OEM manufacturers focus on noise and dust reduction so aftermarket pads will greatly enhance braking distance and feel

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I purchased an adjustable height hitch. Theses are expensive but help with fine tuning your tongue weight. I tow with my wife's Suburban and my Tundra. The Suburban's insert is in the bumper while the Tundra' is below. Something else to consider is how much gear you are hauling in the bed. The Ram has a coil over rear suspension which is great for ride quality but reduces the amount of total weight on the rear of the truck.
My RAM 1500 has 10K towing capacity which is fine for me. I easily pull our 242LS and yes the ride is great too!

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It amazes me that at 2920 lbs total weight of boat+trailer that Yamaha didn't at least include surge brakes on these trailers. Very thin margin to stay under 3000 lb brake requirement. Just adding a few gallons of fuel puts it over. I guess this means I'll be dropping another $500-$600 to add brakes.
The AR192 and I believe the AR190 do have surge breaks on the trailers, but I agree with you on the non-brake equip trailers. I had to stop for a deer the first year I had the boat and am damn glad I had the brakes.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
well if thats the case i would like to find me a galvanized AR trailer :)

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Even though its a Dodge....you should have no problem towing a 19' boat. Personally, I would prefer to have brakes when towing any trailer. Just kidding about the Dodge....its a great looking truck:winkingthumbsup"

S6T6

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nope no existing surge brakes on my SX190 galvanized Shorelander trailer. Ridiculous for a $3000 trailer.

CFD3Captain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
my understanding was only the 192's got the upgraded trailer brakes......

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My perspective towing with a 2007 Sierra Denali rated for 9,800 pounds towing capacity with upgraded EBC pads and cross drilled rotors is that I like trailer brakes over 4,000 pounds but would prefer not to have them under that. I have three trailers that I frequently use. A small 1 yard dump trailer without brakes, the galvanized trailer for my SX230 with surge brakes on one axle and a 3,500 pound equipment trailer with electric brakes on both 8,000 pound axles. When towing the equipment trailer unloaded I turn off the brakes.

If I had a 190/192 and was towing with a half ton or larger truck I would not want brakes. If my tow vehicle was smaller I would want brakes on the trailer.