• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

GPS Depthfinder

Peter simon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Now that I have had my boat for 3 years we have started exploring beyond the few local NC lakes.

I realize I am in need of a proper gps (not my phone) and a depthfinder.

I have looked at the Garmin cv43 which seems like a good fit for me but need both lake and ocean maps.

As I don't really need a fish finder is it possible just to get an in the hull depth transducer?

I really don't want something mounted outside the boat. I read many threads which talk about transducer location but I only need depth.

I looked in the hull of my 190 and it looks like there is some sort of transducer there already. What is it for? Just water temp?

Any suggestions would be great.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have garmin 743xsv it have both coastal and lake charts

Peter simon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately that one is way too large and expensive for me.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately that one is way too large and expensive for me.
Ok just make sure what you buy already include the charts or it will be too expensive to add. You can also get navionics if you already have an iPad or smartphone with cellular capability I find smartphone screen is too small , I have that as back up. It was $20 subscription a year and well worth it.

Peter simon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's true. The charts are $200. I use my phone but it gets too hot.

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Example of iPad with cellular connection and waterproof case. I Used a ram mount that clamps to windshield support post. So no drilling. Instead of having a dedicated gps unit, I have internet and IOS apps at my disposal. I use an anchor alarm, weather, and a wind apps with the iPad as well. For added measure I installed a USB port for additional charging. Each time I use the boat, I update existing maps to get accurate depth contours. So far navionics matches the depth gage on boat each time. The negatives, the glare from the sun at times is distracting especially with polarized sun glasses. Riding in heavy chop you will keep adjusting ram mount.

Attachments

Mister Fister

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have been meaning to post a thread about my depth finder \ transducer install but haven't got around to it.

I recently installed a Lowrance elite 7 Ti2 and really like it! I mounted the transducer on the ride plate and to my surprise it functions very well in that location. Others who have mounted the transducer off the stern have noted issues with losing bottom at full speed, interference and other various issue. Not everyone but a few. I originally wanted to do a in-hule transducer but found that I would not be able to have water temp which I really wanted. I saw another member one here mount the transducer on the ride plate and I tried to reach out to him before I did my install and he never responded so I took a shot in the dark. I used stainless self threading screws and predrilled the holes in the ride plate. I was able to get the transducer mounted without drilling completely through the ride plate which is a much cleaner look. I have zero issues losing bottom even at 40mph and downscan \ sidescan all work phenomenally. I was still a little scared of drilling into the stern so I removed the drain line from the swim deck and used the exterior hole of that drain to run the transducer cable. Some might not like this idea as getting rid of a drain sounds scary but from what I can tell the swim deck also drains into the clean out port so I didnt think it was a big deal. So far I have not had any drainage issues and have twice been caught in some major thunderstorms. I really like the size of the screen and it is very feature packed. If I had to do it all over again I wouldnt change a thing. Love the setup and even though im not a angler it's pretty cool seeing obstructions on the lake bottom\banks and fish!

Attachments

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had a HUGE discussion about this before going to the gulf with my 190. I ended up just running Navionics on my phone......It was a mixed bag of success.

Things I liked:
Super versatile to use the apps, control stereo, etc.
No additional wiring in the boat, just a simple phone mount
Navionics is CHEAP and I already have my phone, no big investment
Downloaded Maps were always accessible

Things I didn't like:
Navionics CHEWS through the battery. ~50% per hour. Screen brightness, cell signal, etc all contribute to huge battery drain. I really need to put a USB port over there to keep it charged.
Phone didn't like the heat. I used a Pixel 2XL, and it did OK, but it was getting warm. If I was charging at the same I'm sure it would have gotten hot overall.
Not waterproof. I was concerned about water intrusion the entire time I had it out there.
Small screen. It was hard to make adjustments to the touchscreen in mild/medium chop. My hand/eye/boat/screen coordination was just REALLY REALLY difficult.
No realtime depth data. I had accurate charts, and accurate GPS data, but there is NO substitute for an actual real-time measured depth reading.

As a lake boater in the midwest/southeast. I'm RARELY in a place where the water is shallow enough to cause an issue. I can check Navionics charts ahead of time for known shallow areas, and know to be on the lookout ahead of time. Most of our lakes are flooded hills, so there is a rare chance to beach, or touch the keel to shore until you're within visual distance. Bigger issue around here are stumps just under the water line, and no amount of charts or depth finder is going to help with that.......SO, Navionics works pretty well for me in this setup. If I was in "new" water on a regular basis, I would get a flush mounted, touchscreen AND button controlled, GPS/Navigation device. They're designed for the environment, and have the necessary "in water" sensors to make them the robust solution you need.

Peter simon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had a HUGE discussion about this before going to the gulf with my 190. I ended up just running Navionics on my phone......It was a mixed bag of success.

Things I liked:
Super versatile to use the apps, control stereo, etc.
No additional wiring in the boat, just a simple phone mount
Navionics is CHEAP and I already have my phone, no big investment
Downloaded Maps were always accessible

Things I didn't like:
Navionics CHEWS through the battery. ~50% per hour. Screen brightness, cell signal, etc all contribute to huge battery drain. I really need to put a USB port over there to keep it charged.
Phone didn't like the heat. I used a Pixel 2XL, and it did OK, but it was getting warm. If I was charging at the same I'm sure it would have gotten hot overall.
Not waterproof. I was concerned about water intrusion the entire time I had it out there.
Small screen. It was hard to make adjustments to the touchscreen in mild/medium chop. My hand/eye/boat/screen coordination was just REALLY REALLY difficult.
No realtime depth data. I had accurate charts, and accurate GPS data, but there is NO substitute for an actual real-time measured depth reading.

As a lake boater in the midwest/southeast. I'm RARELY in a place where the water is shallow enough to cause an issue. I can check Navionics charts ahead of time for known shallow areas, and know to be on the lookout ahead of time. Most of our lakes are flooded hills, so there is a rare chance to beach, or touch the keel to shore until you're within visual distance. Bigger issue around here are stumps just under the water line, and no amount of charts or depth finder is going to help with that.......SO, Navionics works pretty well for me in this setup. If I was in "new" water on a regular basis, I would get a flush mounted, touchscreen AND button controlled, GPS/Navigation device. They're designed for the environment, and have the necessary "in water" sensors to make them the robust solution you need.
I used navionics and agree completely with you. I actually love the navionics app but it is too small for me as well. My 52 yo hands don't have the dexterity to adjust the small screen while underway. I did use the automating a bit.

I did find some of the Cabela's gps use navionics so that may be my next visit. We have another trip planned for the Sanibel area at Christmas so I have some time to plan. My 22 and 16 year old girls did not get enough of watching the dolphins. A few even swam in our wake.