• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

GPS/Fish Finder Mount FSH 190

TommyB

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
New owner of the FSH 190 Sport. what are thoughts on fishfinders, particularly, what are thoughts on mounting the transducer? It has been recommended to me to hull mount. Anybody do this? Is it difficult and/or more efficient than transom mounted? Thanks in advance.

Also, any advice on where to find the best price on a cover?

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Use the forum search tool to get started. There's a ton of posts, ideas, photos, of various things folks have done.

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thru hull ducer is the way to go if you want the cleanest and clearest reading. Transom mount will work also but it will not be as optimal as thru hull are no matter what anyone says.

It also depends on what you intend on using it for and where. Salt or fresh water? How deep of water you intend on being in etc.

There are a multitude of options to consider.
  • Single or dual channel
  • High, medium or low CHIRP Khz.
  • Standard or wide beam angle
  • 250, 600, 1K, 2K 0r 3K Watt unit.
Most people use the ducer supplied with the MFD they buy. Which is fine for standard applications in shallow <100 ft. of water. However, most people do not realize that it is not the MFD unit but rather the ducer that plays the largest role on how well or how bad/inaccurate the image is displayed on the screen.

Tailwaters

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
IMG_20170827_215457014.jpg IMG_20170827_215457014.jpg I've got my on the bottom with a adapter plate I made out of starboard material, cut at an angle so that the transducer is getting an accurate reading straight down off the bottom of the boat. I've seen lots of guys mounting at an angle and I'm sure in shallow water is doesn't much matter. I get a nice clean signal nearly all the way to top end. Now keep in mind I'm in Michigan so my avg depth would be less than 60'

Last edited:

Hotreels10

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
View attachment 70192 View attachment 70192 I've got my on the bottom with a adapter plate I made out of starboard material, cut at an angle so that the transducer is getting an accurate reading straight down off the bottom of the boat. I've seen lots of guys mounting at an angle and I'm sure in shallow water is doesn't much matter. I get a nice clean signal nearly all the way to top end. Now keep in mind I'm in Michigan so my avg depth would be less than 60'
Did you attach it to the boat using screws into the hull? Any issues with readings at cruising speed? I was thinking about installing mine close to the keel on the the key drive unit on my 190 FSH, but I have concerns about it effecting the person of the boat.

Tailwaters

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
No reading issues. I did run 4 small screws through the bottom as well as applied some 3M 4200. Honestly if I could do it over I would not have put the screws in. Could have just glued it with the 4200 and held it in place with a floor jack until it cured.

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I used the kind you drill a 2 inch hole in the hull. Opposite side of the speedo. 20 degree I believe.

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have a Garmin 741xs in dash with an Airmar P79 in hull transducer. It works great at slow speed or stopped. A little bubbly at speed.