• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

GPS Locator / Tracker /Anti theft device

Pullen724

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Anybody have any type of GPS locator or tracking device for their boat? If so, what do you have?

Looking for something to ease my mind in case of theft.

Check out the mobile drone system, Dewalt makes something similar but the monthly is a little higher as I recall.

Food for thought... If someone steals it and does who knows what with it do you really want it back? Agreed value insurance is the best protection you can buy.

If you can recover it quickly you will probably still want it but once it's been stripped you are praying that your insurance company deems it a total loss. Unfortunately I know this from personal experience.

Just wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone has put something like this in place. I came across the Trackimo device ($94 on sale, first year free, $60/year after that). Seems intriguing, should be able to mount in discretely somewhere and wire it into a hidden USB outlet. It seems nice because it allows you to set Geofences, so notifications if it moves (someone jacking your trailer at home, or at a hotel), or possibly if it breaks free of a mooring or dock while you're grabbing tacos in town. It'll pick up a signal anywhere there's a GSM cell tower.

Just wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone has put something like this in place. I came across the Trackimo device ($94 on sale, first year free, $60/year after that). Seems intriguing, should be able to mount in discretely somewhere and wire it into a hidden USB outlet. It seems nice because it allows you to set Geofences, so notifications if it moves (someone jacking your trailer at home, or at a hotel), or possibly if it breaks free of a mooring or dock while you're grabbing tacos in town. It'll pick up a signal anywhere there's a GSM cell tower.
This is a 2G tracker. 2G is being phased out. The Spot Trace is a satellite based (Globalstar) tracker, truly worldwide. Spot uses AAA batteries and lasts much longer and can be hardwired. It also has “dock”mode that is similar to a geofence.

I use rhino fleet trackers for all my vehicles. Might be a option for you.

This is a 2G tracker. 2G is being phased out. The Spot Trace is a satellite based (Globalstar) tracker, truly worldwide. Spot uses AAA batteries and lasts much longer and can be hardwired. It also has “dock”mode that is similar to a geofence.
I was looking in to the spot device... But I didn't buy one after reading tons and tons of customer complaints on underhanded billing tricks and a flat refusal to refund money.. But that could be almost any company I guess. Just research.

This is a 2G tracker. 2G is being phased out.

Good to know, even though my POS Sprint Service still reliably finds less than 3G service, ha. They make a 3G model as well, but will take a look at the Spot Trace. Thanks for the recommendation.

Check out the mobile drone system, Dewalt makes something similar but the monthly is a little higher as I recall.

I would recommend the Drone as well. Plus you could technically set it up for R/S too... you know for when you need to hop on the boat to make a quick get a away.

Ended up getting the 3G Trackimo device. Set it up last night, seems to work quite well. Get a notification as soon as the device leaves the Geofence around the house. Will hardwire it into the boat at some point this weekend.

Ended up getting the 3G Trackimo device. Set it up last night, seems to work quite well. Get a notification as soon as the device leaves the Geofence around the house. Will hardwire it into the boat at some point this weekend.

@seanmclean

How do you like the the trackimo?

I am looking at doing the same.
Did you get a discount on your insurance?

Which one did you go with?
6D30889E-4212-4495-91FA-B4338078CA95.jpeg 254B1A15-4171-459B-8763-AEB84FC92C8E.jpeg

@seanmclean

How do you like the the trackimo?

I am looking at doing the same.
Did you get a discount on your insurance?

Which one did you go with?
View attachment 84150 View attachment 84151

I'm a fan of it, I don't know about an insurance discount (didn't seek one out, either). Haven't had any issues with it. I got the one on the right (marine tracker). The hardwire kit is nice, I have mine wired direct to battery, and double-sided tape holds it up on the inside of the hull above the batteries.

I'm a fan of it, I don't know about an insurance discount (didn't seek one out, either). Haven't had any issues with it. I got the one on the right (marine tracker). The hardwire kit is nice, I have mine wired direct to battery, and double-sided tape holds it up on the inside of the hull above the batteries.

Okay, I’m thinking about pulling the trigger.

I am planning to try the rental game next season, hopefully it will pay for my boat.

I would like to be able to see where the boat goes while it’s rented since there are some areas in the lake that have lots of trees under the water.

Have you tried looking a the location history? How does that look?

Location history is nice, I have mine set to report location every minute when it is moving (as detected through accelerators). Can click each time point and get location, time, and speed. Here's a view over a couple weekends, but can limit history selection to single days if you want. The Geofence feature is nice, will email you if it leaves a geofence (had one set around home, and our marina).

6es7OIR.png

A less busy view:

RyogZL3.png

Location history is nice, I have mine set to report location every minute when it is moving (as detected through accelerators). Can click each time point and get location, time, and speed. Here's a view over a couple weekends, but can limit history selection to single days if you want. The Geofence feature is nice, will email you if it leaves a geofence (had one set around home, and our marina).

6es7OIR.png

Thanks for the info, this looks like exactly what I was thinking and wanting. Now if I tell them to stay away from a certain area I will have proof if they didn’t listen. Haha.

How much is Trackimo service?

I would go with a Spot instead for satellite coverage. There are many places where the 3G Trackimo will not report.

https://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=128

Trackimo is $60 per year and the first year is included in the device packages.

Looking at the spot website, it is either 149 or 199 per year depending on which package you use.

Trackimo is $60 per year and the first year is included in the device packages.

Looking at the spot website, it is either 149 or 199 per year depending on which package you use.

Did you understand the 3G (near a cell phone tower) versus worldwide satellite part?

A Spot Trace with a year of service is less than the Trackimo purchase price.

Back