• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Gulf coast area boaters: jet boat size/hull question

MariusD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Hey All,

Looking to get my first boat here over the next year for boating around New Orleans ( Lake Pontchartrain and others) and then going over to the FloraAlabama, Pensacola and Destin areas to enjoy the bays and the beaches out there. From my search so far I think for simplicity and safety I should go with a used jet boat (unless I find something else I really can't pass up for the money).

I wanted to know what some of you jet boaters are running out here and how you like it.
I am guessing for a smoother ride the minimum boat to use for out here would be a 21ft?
Is there a particular hull type or model that would work better than the others?

I have found a couple of nice boats at good prices that are 19 footers:

-Scarab 195
-Chaparral H2O Fish and Ski 19

But from reading some of the threads I gather these probably wouldn't be adequate for the Gulf coast bays because these may be painful to ride around in this area?

Am I on the right track? Would a 21-24 be adequately comfortable over a 19?

Dealers around here sell Scarab\Chaparral\Yamaha, so those are the brands to service easier.

My tow vehicle is an f150 with a 5.4, so I have no real towing constraints for anything in this size range.

Any and all comments are very much appreciated.
I'm all ears.

Last edited:

ruztew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have an sx190 and it does get beat up in rougher water, a bigger boat would handle the chip even better. That being said, I've never felt unsafe in my 19ft. We boat the Bay around here and on smooth days venture into the gulf (stay close to shows).

People have taken 19ft jet boats to Bimini, so anything on possible

Go for the biggest boat you can afford, you'll appreciate the space (as long as towing it isn't an issue with your vehicle)

MariusD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have an sx190 and it does get beat up in rougher water, a bigger boat would handle the chip even better. That being said, I've never felt unsafe in my 19ft. We boat the Bay around here and on smooth days venture into the gulf (stay close to shows).

Go for the biggest boat you can afford, you'll appreciate the space (as long as towing it isn't an issue with your vehicle)
Appreciate your input.

To give you an idea, we currently launch in Gulf Breeze in a 16ft Element with a 75 outboard and enjoy the heck out of that. A day on the water even in that boat is a blast, so I have no doubt that even that 19ft Scarab would be an upgrade and would be loads of fun on a reasonably calm day. My experience has been that the little element will beat the crap out of you when the waves pick up and while for me that's not a big deal, I couldn't put my old parents through that. So I'm trying to figure out that fine line between size vs comfort for a boat out there, all while trying to keep it as small and low cost as possible.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The bigger the boat the better the ride. If I were living at the gulf I'd probably want at least a 21' boat. That being said I take my 19' boat to the gulf a few times each year and it's never felt like it couldn't handle it. I wouldn't want to be boating all the time when it's blowing stiff winds and white capping but my boat has been in 2-3' waves and blowing winds without issue. The key is to keep some of the v in the bow in the water but not low enough to take a shot if in rough waters. That will keep you from running on the flatter part of the hull at the stern. Trim tabs help in this regard and if I boated in rough waters they would be on my boat.

MariusD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
... and on smooth days venture into the gulf (stay close to shows).

Also, I gotta say, this is really impressive to hear, on both counts.

Does it get scary out in the gulf in that boat? Or still enjoyable as long as it's calm enough?

I would love to be able to go out to the gulf on a calm day like that on occassion. That would really be awesome!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This will give you an idea of a 19' boat out in the gulf and bay on a decent day. Winds kicked up a little later on so I headed back into the bay but nothing the boat couldn't handle and it wasn't beating me up.

ruztew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
DSCN2427.JPG
In the gulf

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Like said above, go with the biggest size boat for your budget. It's also for people and items you want go bring along. The more storage and area space the better.

I've got a 21 foot Yamaha. I boat in the Gulf here in Destin more than the bays. But the Choctawhatchee Bay here can get choppy too. Especially during our summer time pop up storms.

Good luck

MariusD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The bigger the boat the better the ride. If I were living at the gulf I'd probably want at least a 21' boat. That being said I take my 19' boat to the gulf a few times each year and it's never felt like it couldn't handle it. I wouldn't want to be boating all the time when it's blowing stiff winds and white capping but my boat has been in 2-3' waves and blowing winds without issue. The key is to keep some of the v in the bow in the water but not low enough to take a shot if in rough waters. That will keep you from running on the flatter part of the hull at the stern. Trim tabs help in this regard and if I boated in rough waters they would be on my boat.
Oh cool, so you've been out there in a 19ft too. That's great. Ok, so it seems like it can be done, I would just need to be very cautious about the weather conditions. Very good to know. I probably would take no more than 5-6 people total with me, with no water sports in mind (for now) so technically, it seems even the 19ft could actually work. Thanks!

MariusD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
This will give you an idea of a 19' boat out in the gulf and bay on a decent day. Winds kicked up a little later on so I headed back into the bay but nothing the boat couldn't handle and it wasn't beating me up.

Dang... that looks like so much fun! Thanks for sharing this.

Last edited:

MariusD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Like said above, go with the biggest size boat for your budget. It's also for people and items you want go bring along. The more storage and area space the better.

I've got a 21 foot Yamaha. I boat in the Gulf here in Destin more than the bays. But the Choctawhatchee Bay here can get choppy too. Especially during our summer time pop up storms.

Good luck
Thanks.

So, does your 21ft seem "comfortable enough" out there, or does it leave a lot to be desired in terms of handling the chop, to where you find yourself wishing you were in a 24ft instead?

I don't need it to be perfect, but would like it to be smooth enough to where older people on the boat would not get too shook up by the experience. I would of course not go out there on a choppy day in the first place.

Gorgeous boat btw!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
OutOnTheReef on YouTube takes his 19' FSH to Bimini all the time from the Miami area. These boats can certainly do it. Just a matter of how comfortable you want to be doing it. When it's rougher out I just slow things down a lot and let the hull settle in. A newer 2017+ 21' Yamaha would ride a bit better as they have a keel running all the way where as the 19' hull doesn't. Also being a little longer and heavier helps.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks.

So, does your 21ft seem "comfortable enough" out there, or does it leave a lot to be desired in terms of handling the chop, to where you find yourself wishing you were in a 24ft instead?

I don't need it to be perfect, but would like it to be smooth enough to where older people on the boat would not get too shook up by the experience.
It all depends on the chop and how fast you go. I went a few miles out in the Gulf this past Saturday. The outer winds and bands were felt from TS Alberto. So I didn't go as fast as I normally would. Also took 3 waves over the bow at different times idling around. Not on plane. In my opinion, just go a little slower and everything should be fine for everyone.

MariusD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
OutOnTheReef on YouTube takes his 19' FSH to Bimini all the time from the Miami area. These boats can certainly do it. Just a matter of how comfortable you want to be doing it. When it's rougher out I just slow things down a lot and let the hull settle in. A newer 2017+ 21' Yamaha would ride a bit better as they have a keel running all the way where as the 19' hull doesn't. Also being a little longer and heavier helps.
Good deal. So this piece of info you provided is seems very important. I'll have to keep an eye out for a '17+ 21ft Yamaha. I do feel like for my first boat the 21ft is sort of the best compromise between size/weight/power. I'd definitely want the 212 model to make sure I get those nicer 1.8 Yammy motors.

Good god this is gonna get expensive... *gulp* :nailbiting:

MariusD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
It all depends on the chop and how fast you go. I went a few miles out in the Gulf this past Saturday. The outer winds and bands were felt from TS Alberto. So I didn't go as fast as I normally would. Also took 3 waves over the bow at different times idling around. Not on plane. In my opinion, just go a little slower and everything should be fine for everyone.
Thanks, good to know. It's super helpful to get all this first hand experience from you guys. As long as it seems adequate, that's all I'm really looking for.

MariusD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
So who else boats around these parts in a jet boat? Any non-yamaha owners?