• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hand held spotlight

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can anyone recommend a good hand held spotlight? I bought a cheap one for $20 and its not what I really want.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have this model of battery powered Q beam and have been very happy with it, on Amazon.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Stanley Fat Max led. This light is awesome!

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Danielmailin

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I bought the Fat Max 10 led last year, use it often in saltwater environment, last a long time and it is a great spot light. Comes with a wall charger and cigarette lighter charger that can be
use to power the ligth if it runs out of battery. It cost around $40, you can find it in Amazon or your local Walmart for the same price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00OU67Z80/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1467860193&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=stanley+fatmax&dpPl=1&dpID=41LT6zcC-VL&ref=plSrch

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I also use the Stanley fat max, although i have a corded Q Beam from West Marine as well. The Stanley is small but powerful and is also waterproof, floats, cordless and has an adjustable beam, the Q Beam for about the same price isn't / doesn't.

image.jpg

Hmmm, do you want to buy a never used 2 year old Q Beam for $25 plus actual shipping? LOL

Last edited:

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks guys for the info! I can't thank everyone enough for all the info I get here and the great people here, what a great forum.:)

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the Stanley torch but it never seems to hold the charge for too long, may be I'm not using it enough?

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I went with the Stanley Fat Man 900 Lumen

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
My only advice is get a Lithium one. The nons don't hold a charge when sitting. I have a lithium black and decker beside the bed (yeah, that'll blind someone while I grab the firepower) and I rarely charge it but when I check it, it always looks as bright as when it was just charged.

This is the one I have. Always took it on the boat with me if I was going to be in the dark or offshore.

https://smile.amazon.com/Black-Decker-LEDLIB-Lithium-Spotlight/dp/B00BR1TP2A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467888252&sr=8-1&keywords=black+and+decker+lithium+spotlight

Devildog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not sure how powerful of a light that you need. I bought a 1200 lumen rechargeable West Marine handheld a couple of years ago. I liked it so much that I bought another one for the house. I think it was around $75 on sale. It is SUPER bright and holds a charge pretty well. You just need to keep it recharged because it is so powerful. It has three settings......high, medium, and intermittent-it pulses 3 times every few seconds for emergencies.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I hate those things. Seems people insist they should be used as headlights on a dark lake at night..I especially love the waving that tells the captain, "look...there's a boat over there." And in a sense they ruin my night vision.

OK. I'm done venting now...

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I hate those things. Seems people insist they should be used as headlights on a dark lake at night..I especially love the waving that tells the captain, "look...there's a boat over there." And in a sense they ruin my night vision.

OK. I'm done venting now...
I agree...It pisses me off when people leave their DOCKING lights on at night.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Matt Phillips and @Big Shasta I agree but there are a few use cases.

One of these would have really helped me on the 4th. Went 20 miles up river to watch fireworks. On the way back no moon light and navigating by paid version of navionics app. About a dozen ocean sized metal channel marker buoys along the way that navionics app has marked pretty accurate but the buoys only have reflectors. Hardly anything on the cliff banks of this river and I was the only boat out on this section of it so no other light to help. I slowed way down everytime the navionics app showed me getting close to a buoy until I could make out the reflector with the very litte available light and the flashlight on my jump pack. A spotlight would be perfect for spotting the buoys easier.

I am familar with this river and had confirmed that navionics had everything marked on multiple occasions and recently. Also the minimum depth in the center of the channel is over 50 feet at high tide. With full moon light this is an easy trip but this was the first time I had done it with no moon light and I underestimated how hard those buoys and possible floating debris ( no debris most of the time) would be to see. We made it back safe but I would not do this again. However if I ever get unintentionally caught in conditions like that again the spot light will be a great tool.

I now know why the oil tankers have many high mounted spot lights on when on this river at night.

Oh yeah the fireworks were amazing. Clear stary night and we were practically right under them.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That is exactly how I use mine @Mainah. Short bursts just to find a channel marker or known obstruction. Running with any type of "headlights" is useless on a boat and dangerous to everyone else.

spaz1868

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the Stanley FatMax as well and always bring it in the boat with us when we are going to be out after dark. I use it in bursts to identify markers and help docking.