• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Handheld VHS usage and reccomendations

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Our family has decided to take a vacation with some good friends this summer. We're going to be trailering our boats down to Douglas Lake in TN from Louisville, KY. 4.5hrs of driving or so, and then a week in a rented house with a private ramp and dock. Should be a fun time. I'm certain the families will go separate ways from time to time, will get separated on the road trip, or otherwise need to communicate with each other of a decently far distance. There is also a good chance of cell service not being ideal in remote locations. We would likely use these on the water at our local lake as well when "finding" each other on Saturday afternoons. Would also like the capability to raise/communicate with local DNR/Coast Gaurd if needed in an emergency.

I've had a ham radio license since I was 10. I used to have a nice Icom handheld I would carry around, and then a Kenwood mobile in the truck that was a 50W device with a nice 1/2 wave antenna on the roof. I could talk easily for several counties away on the 2m (145Mhz range) bands with that setup. Grandparents had the same mobile station mounted under the counter, and a full wave antenna on a 90ft tower in the backyard. This was all before cellphones, and was a great way to keep in contact over long distances when I was younger (lived with them from 15-22).

SO, I'm considering picking up a set of "walkie-talkies" for the drive, while on the water, and then possibly while out and about on land. I'm trying to restrain myself from going overboard. Can anyone recommend a good set of handheld devices that we can use to communicate over a several mile range that won't break the bank? Something with a decent battery, and a 12V charger would be great. I really have no idea where to start looking, and random google searches are providing a dizzying array of devices, and I have no idea which are good or bad.

Any thoughts?

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I started this thread last year.

General consensus is illegal to use vhf when on land, but some have suggested that large lakes like Cumberland don’t strictly adhere to that.

I like the unit that I bought, but I really haven’t used it much. I had trailer problems on the way to the trip I was prepping for and missed it. Haven’t had much need, since.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I started this thread last year.

General consensus is illegal to use vhf when on land, but some have suggested that large lakes like Cumberland don’t strictly adhere to that.

I like the unit that I bought, but I really haven’t used it much. I had trailer problems on the way to the trip I was prepping for and missed it. Haven’t had much need, since.
Holy crapola, how did I miss that thread. I think others just know how to work the Google better than I do or something. Thanks for that link.

I'll have to go read, but I'm curious why VHF use on land is restricted. Is it just the "marine bands" or is it all VHF usage? I must go read more.

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I use VHF in the air and on land, however that’s for the military so I guess that doesn’t help much...