• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Handling at max load?

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So, I got out on the water today with our 2011 SX210. We’re on family reunion vacation, so too many people for the number of boats.

Anyway, tried to take 10 people to lunch. (4 kids - 1,2,5,11) and 6 adults (granted 3 of us are heavy enough for 2).

No cavitation, but max speed after shuffling more weight to bow was 14. Is that normal? I have MR1’s, not 1.8’s.

Was pretty disappointed, when our previous I/O you could load as much as you wanted and speed really didn’t change all that much. You just kept getting closer and closer to the water.

After lunch, I let most everyone off and went for a run with just 3 people to make sure everything felt right. It did.

Our normal load is 2 adults and 3 kids. But, would like to be able to take another family out. Can I expect close to normal operation w 4 adults and 5 kids? Guess I need to experiment some.

Not sure about the MR-1's but my TR-1 equipped AR210 will run about 37-38 with 10 adults in it. Did that last weekend. I can't imagine there is such a big difference since the hp is about the same (like 3-4 difference). Did you check the intake grate for blockage? Might be something stuck up there or at the impellers?

I put 12 people in the 242x last year up in Tahoe(6200 feet). All she would do at altitude with that mane people was about 11-12 mph, as she simply couldn't develop that much HP to get herself on top of the water. Take about 3 people out of the boat and it will do fine. I do notice though that with no wind and all things being equal, adding more weight (people to the boat) will take more RPM to achieve the same amount of speed. Read that as put 3 people in it, and she'll tool along about 23-25mph at 5500rpm. Add another 3-4 people, and now you're talking about 6,000rpm.

I say there was likely nothing wrong with your boat, it was just heavily loaded.

Anytime people are in the bow expect the top speed to scrub off big time. Even my little 8 year old daughter can cause my 192 to lose about 2-3 mph if she sits up there. With my wife and daughter more around 4-5 mph. Move them to the back and the top speed picks right back up. The added surface of the bow deeper in the water makes a big difference.

I say there was likely nothing wrong with your boat, it was just heavily loaded.

Thanks, that’s what I’m thinking too. As soon a few people got off we were back to normal. Going to need to experiment a bit to figure out the magic number for tolerable performance.

This is an annual outing, so will continue to be an issue at least 1 week out of the year. The rest of the season won’t be a problem.

Guess I could have blown up the tube and thrown 3 people on it. Didn’t really want to take the time for that, but it may have helped.

Few years ago we had seven adults on my boat and you know I had the same boat as you and we ran 42.3 miles an hour and that was at table rock lake. I never had that ever happen again though LOL. Usually with nine people on board mostly adults we'd run in the upper 30s at WOT. When's the last time the spark plugs have been changed? Could your speedometer have not been reading right or clogged.

Few years ago we had seven adults on my boat and you know I had the same boat as you and we ran 42.3 miles an hour and that was at table rock lake. I never had that ever happen again though LOL. Usually with nine people on board mostly adults we'd run in the upper 30s at WOT. When's the last time the spark plugs have been changed? Could your speedometer have not been reading right or clogged.

This was gps speed as shown on the PP. We just didn’t have enough umph to get on plane. I’ll try to experiment this week a bit, and see what happens with 7-8 people.

This was gps speed as shown on the PP. We just didn’t have enough umph to get on plane. I’ll try to experiment this week a bit, and see what happens with 7-8 people.

The only time I noticed my boat having a problem under a load was if we had 7 adults on the boat and two on the tube for a total of 9. I took it the Saint Charles Boat and Motor they change the spark plugs and they told me my fuel was too rich so I cut back on the ring free and stabilizer and that pretty much solved the problem if I remember correctly.
I don't remember the engine whether it was port or starboard but it was number 3 spark plug I was always having a problem with

So, I got out on the water today with our 2011 SX210. We’re on family reunion vacation, so too many people for the number of boats.

Anyway, tried to take 10 people to lunch. (4 kids - 1,2,5,11) and 6 adults (granted 3 of us are heavy enough for 2).

No cavitation, but max speed after shuffling more weight to bow was 14. Is that normal? I have MR1’s, not 1.8’s.

Was pretty disappointed, when our previous I/O you could load as much as you wanted and speed really didn’t change all that much. You just kept getting closer and closer to the water.

After lunch, I let most everyone off and went for a run with just 3 people to make sure everything felt right. It did.

Our normal load is 2 adults and 3 kids. But, would like to be able to take another family out. Can I expect close to normal operation w 4 adults and 5 kids? Guess I need to experiment some.
Sounds like you are really teetering on the edge of coming up on plane!

I don't know your boat well. BUT - we have a guy on my river who tends to pack his extended family (16+?) into his (2012?) SX210 every July the 4th - and putzes around the lake like its nothing, I swear. So - don't give up!

We all heard of the "miracle of new spark plugs" in MR-1s, so I would think that's a good thing to try, and not super expensive.

One thing that may be worth considering (a bit more expensive than a new set of spark plugs but so worth it if you plan on keeping the boat) are trim tabs. Definite help coming up on plane when loaded!
I have had several situations, while testing surfing ballast, where my AR240 would balk and refuse to come up on plane... only to pop right up with a touch of a trim tabs deployed. Once on plane, I could retract the tabs and keep going.

--

Last vacation I had 9 people on the boat and still 40 in my 210 with the bimini up. Everyone was spread out, you could have fit another 4 people easy when people are just sitting there and you don't have crap on board. Something doesn't sound quite right, or maybe you just had heavier people in the back?

Put the kids in the bow so you can get on plane easier. July 4 2016 we had 12 (4 kids) in the sx192. Hit 32 with no problem. Did not want to scare anyone so we did not go faster.

Not a fan of screaming people on a boat.

What was the estimated total weight in the boat. I know for a fact with 2125 pounds in your boat it will only do 10-11 mph. Maybe moving weight to the front, but I would check for missing sealant in the jet intake and impeller dings.

I have not really loaded my boat down yet but have noticed as well that weight affects these boats much more than an I/O.

Last weekend we had 6 adults and had a top speed of 38 mph (gps from ridesteady)with the bimini up and 2 loaded coolers. No cavitation unless we did a tight turn to pick up a downed wakeboarder. Everyone was riding in the back of the boat. Have you changed your plugs recently?

Back