• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hard Top solar panel on FSH 255 sport E

LDor

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I'd like to install a solar panel on the hard top and was wondering if anyone had done before and had any advice? I have two specific questions; 1 what size panel fits best (Im unable to measure this week but would like to order the parts) and 2. is there a race or plenum to get wiring from the hardtop to inside the console?
thanks in advance!

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I have a 275SD and while the hard tops are not the same but the usable space may be similar because I have two skylights down the center. I'm not sure of your battery situation and what your objecyives are but I can tell you what I did recently.

I upgraded my batteries from two Interstate Group 24 Sealed Wet batteries to two Duracell Group 27 AGM 100Ah Marine batteries with a little more capacity. I'm rack storing my boat so I won't have regular access to AC so I decided to install a solar system to keep my batteries charged.

I went with a new style Renogy 100W Flexible Panel.... Amazon.com

I also went with a Renogy 30A PWM Controller (I had this from another project otherwise a 10A would have been fine plus it allows for expandability)..... Amazon.com

I used 3M VHB Tape to secure the panel to the hard top and it did a very good job securing the panel.... Amazon.com

I figured the 100W should be enough to keep my batteries maintained when the boat is not in use and help the house battery from being drained too quickly when floating with the stereo on.

Last edited:

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'd like to install a solar panel on the hard top and was wondering if anyone had done before and had any advice? I have two specific questions; 1 what size panel fits best (Im unable to measure this week but would like to order the parts) and 2. is there a race or plenum to get wiring from the hardtop to inside the console?
thanks in advance!
Have you seen this post by @Zackdadams ? While its not for a solar panel, he address how to run wiring through the hard top.

M5Law

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I have a 275SD and while the hard tops are not the same but the usable space may be similar because I have two skylights down the center. I'm not sure of your battery situation and what your objecyives are but I can tell you what I did recently.

I upgraded my batteries from two Interstate Group 24 Sealed Wet batteries to two Duracell Group 27 AGM 100Ah Marine batteries with a little more capacity. I'm rack storing my boat so I won't have regular access to AC so I decided to install a solar system to keep my batteries charged.

I went with a new style Renogy 100W Flexible Panel.... Amazon.com

I also went with a Renogy 30A PWM Controller (I had this from another project otherwise a 10A would have been fine plus it allows for expandability)..... Amazon.com

I used 3M VHB Tape to secure the panel to the hard top and it did a very good job securing the panel.... Amazon.com

I figured the 100W should be enough to keep my batteries maintained when the boat is not in use and help the house battery from being drained too quickly when floating with the stereo on.
I have same boat. How did you route the wires from the roof down to the batteries? Trying to figure out the cleanest way to do it. Thanks

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I have same boat. How did you route the wires from the roof down to the batteries? Trying to figure out the cleanest way to do it. Thanks
There are two options. One easier and one a little more difficult. The more difficult option is to remove the anchor light and fish them down one of the the hardtop supports.

The easier option was to run them outside the port-side hardtop support. Then I removed the inside panels on the port-side and ran the wires down the side and under the seat with the seat open and into the storage compartment. Then I reinstalled the side panel and I mounted a Renogy solar controller next to the DVSR.

I bought this solar wiring with a wire loom already installed and these clear clips with VHB backing to keep the wiring secured to the hardtop support and the boat.

From inside the boat you can only see a couple of inches of the wiring coming off the roof and then where it wraps over the gunwale until it goes under the inside upholstery trim. I've been using my setup for 7 months and it works great. The clear clips are still intact with the Florida weather and securing the wiring and the solar panel has kept the batteries charged. We had a surprisingly lousy winter in Florida and I went over a month without using the boat but the solar setup kept both batteries charged. I haven't plugged the boat into charge since I put it in the water.

M5Law

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Thanks so much for the detailed reply. Exactly what I needed. I already have bunch of wires coming down through the starboard side (2 tower speakers and a soundbar for the stern) so there is literally no room left. My installer is saying the left side isn't an option, at least not an easy one, because there is no provision for any wires coming through there. I'll probably just go the external route like you did.

Yeah, I'm in Orlando. This winter was the "coldest," IMO, in the last 23 years of me living here.

Thanks again.

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Thanks so much for the detailed reply. Exactly what I needed. I already have bunch of wires coming down through the starboard side (2 tower speakers and a soundbar for the stern) so there is literally no room left. My installer is saying the left side isn't an option, at least not an easy one, because there is no provision for any wires coming through there. I'll probably just go the external route like you did.

Yeah, I'm in Orlando. This winter was the "coldest," IMO, in the last 23 years of me living here.

Thanks again.
If I get out on the boat this week, I'll try to take some pics for you.

*EDIT* I did find a couple pics for you......

Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 7.50.55 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 7.51.06 PM.png

M5Law

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
That's not bad at all. I'm going to keep an eye on my power consumption to see if it's truly warranted, or if I'm just being extra. I do have a 200Ah LiFePo battery, just don't want to have to worry about it when I'm on the sandbar all day running my four amps.