• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Has anyone added sound proofing to a 165?

R502

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I would like to quiet things down a bit but am concerned for potential heat gain issues were I to add a sound proofing product to the motor compartment on my 165. At high end this thing screams pretty good and the supercharger whine is unmistakeable.
Am I being paranoid?

Rtimleck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I used a dyna mat product on my 195 HOI and had no issues with it. I feel like it did help but it could also be a psychological thing too.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would like to quiet things down a bit but am concerned for potential heat gain issues were I to add a sound proofing product to the motor compartment on my 165. At high end this thing screams pretty good and the supercharger whine is unmistakeable.
Am I being paranoid?
I wouldn't worry about heat issues at all as those are liquid cooled engines and raw water cooled exhaust. Keep in mind the same engines run in jet skis - enclosed in MUCH smaller compartments - with no issues.
Plenty of soundproofing threads here to entertain you - for days, LOL.

--

R502

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Good points, much appreciated. Nice to have some feedback to invalidate my concerns. No doubt a 250HP 1503 is stuffed into a pretty small spot on a PWC, hadn't thought of it that way. Looks like I'll start researching some soundproofing products!

Cs419

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Purchased three rolls of Dynamat Xtreme 18x32 for $58 from Must Buy when they had a closeout sale. Planning on installing them on a 165 soon.

R502

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Purchased three rolls of Dynamat Xtreme 18x32 for $58 from Must Buy when they had a closeout sale. Planning on installing them on a 165 soon.
Would love to see pics of your install. So many products out there, Dynamat seems appropriate due to weight concerns with the other products. Leaning toward the same product to cut down on noise, even if it's just a little bit.

Mike Cardillo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I'm also interested in pics plus your thoughts on how much it helped. Thanks!

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Hi! Has this been done yet? Thoughts about the install and success of it? Like the others would love to see the results since I'm considering the same thing in my 165. Thanks!

Bizywk

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hi! Has this been done yet? Thoughts about the install and success of it? Like the others would love to see the results since I'm considering the same thing in my 165. Thanks!
Bump

Bizywk

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
How did it turn out? Pics?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Boy did I ever... lol

Look at post #34 for the work, and post #39 for the results. In short, made a significant difference the slower you go. Becomes inconsequential at higher speeds since wind noise dominates regardless of the engine noise.