• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Has anyone ever done their own interior?

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone ever redone their own interior? I have a 2006 AR230 and a 2008 AR230 and both need their interiors replaced. I am contemplating doing it by myself and buying my own machine to do it. Just wondering if anyone else has ever done it, or if any one on the forum does interior, if they can provide tips.

Thanks

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ooooff, I give you credit for attempting but I’d leave it to the pros. Could spend a lot of money and time just to have it not turn out right or have it redone.

If you are in the Charlotte area, I have a good contact that did ours and couldn’t be happier.

viper15

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did our '89 VIP about 2 years ago. I did it over the winter months in our basement. Once you get the hang of a sewing machine, it isn't really that bad. If you don't mind completely destroying a sewing machine, your normal household one will do the job. That's what I used. But after it was all done, it needed about $150 in repairs. So if you can get your hands on a stronger commercial grade one - that's the way to go. But if you carefully remove all your original interior and take apart the seems, you can use those as templates for the new stuff. It's a lot of putsy work, but you can get creative with the colors and designs. And at the end of the day be proud of what you did, the money you saved, and the knew skill you learned.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've done four interiors, three for myself and one for my BIL. I agree 100% with everything @viper15 said. Totally doable as long as you have the time and patience and are willing to learn a new skillset, and don't forget to use stainless steel staples, lol

Last edited:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I found someone local in Houston that did it all for $1500. Removal and Reinstall was a PAIN alone. I really like to try to do it all myself, but my fine finish skills are not great. If you can do detailed small things cleanly and efficiently maybe the job is for you (Someone that likes to build architectural models, or likes small clean detailed work is probably a good fit)

I'm pretty happy I paid and had it done.

I did my older boat without sewing, all with a stapler, and it came out pretty good, but was not a professional job... In one cushion I'm ashamed to admit there was White Duct tape at the bottom to cover some staples :(