• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

has anyone fit a 21 footer in a standard 2 car garage?

jdbakerucf

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just curious to see if anyone has been able to fit a 21 footer into their standard 2 car garage. If so, what did you have to do to make it fit?

I currently have my SX195 in my garage (at a slight angle), however we are thinking of upgrading to a 21 foot FSH (non-T-top version) however due to HOA the boat will have to be in the garage or stored elsewhere, and I would rather keep it in my garage if I can make it fit. Any advise/tips you can provide for making it fit would be greatly appreciated

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I think your immediate issue is height of the garage door. My 20' 212S is a HIGH boat, even without the tower configured in. I can pull the boat back to the garage to work on it, get on the boat and stand on the rear deck, and pull myself up on to the roof of our garage.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@jdbakerucf Measure your garage from front to back and I will go out and measure my boat from back to where the trailer tongue collapses. Also @ @anmut makes a valid point, height is the issue. I have enough depth in my garage but the height is way to short even with the tower fully collapsed.

Mdoiron

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My SX210 fits in my garage but like most have said, your biggest issue will be height of your door, especially if you buy a boat with a tower.

Mully262

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
I suggest rethinking "rather keep it in my garage" strategy. I totally get why you would, but shop around to see what you have for other options. Storing boats in a angle in the garage sucks. It makes your garage useless.

Also, another thing to think about: I just got the 212SD, upgraded from a 1998 17.5 foot Glastron. With the Glastron, I could drop the boat off the hitch and easily move it around by hand. Angling in a garage with it wouldn't be difficult. The 212SD?? Forget it. Double axle, 4500 pounds, I am not able to push around, let alone God forbid if that thing starts moving on its own!!!!

I got a storage unit in my area, 12' wide x 14' high door. 7 miles from my house, and in between me and my go to launch. It costs me about $250/month. But the ease of not having to drop the tower, fold in the tongue, angle in a garage, not worry about rubbing against the side is well worth it. I can guarantee from my perspective that I will be taking the boat out more because of this fact alone. On a nice Wednesday afternoon, I would be to grab and go instead of playing boat twister in the garage.

Photos for perspective on why I got something different. :)

Attachments

Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Mully262 For some people though $250 additional per month is not a reasonable cost to incur. With family, kids and other obligations the cheapest or no cost way to store their boat is the most viable.

Mully262

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
@Mully262 For some people though $250 additional per month is not a reasonable cost to incur. With family, kids and other obligations the cheapest or no cost way to store their boat is the most viable.
Totally get it. Just throwing it out there. Some places storage units can be "reasonable". Other places, not at all. It is worth exploring if one hasn't gone done that path before.

Frank Marshall

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I was able to get my FSH 210 into my two car garage. You can shorten the overall length by moving the bow winch arm forward. You should readjust the axles forward to maintain the proper tongue weight.

Attachments

jdbakerucf

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
while a large storage space would be nice only thing I can find in my area that is enclosed/covered is $300+ a month... and that is a real stinger to the wallet. I get that owing boats is expensive, but if I can fit the thing in my garage I will deal with the hassle of putting it at an angle (hell it's just more practice backing the thing). I think like most have mentioned the main issue will be height... my Door opening is 83" and the door hangs down about an 1" so I really have just under 82" of clearance.

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
while a large storage space would be nice only thing I can find in my area that is enclosed/covered is $300+ a month... and that is a real stinger to the wallet. I get that owing boats is expensive, but if I can fit the thing in my garage I will deal with the hassle of putting it at an angle (hell it's just more practice backing the thing). I think like most have mentioned the main issue will be height... my Door opening is 83" and the door hangs down about an 1" so I really have just under 82" of clearance.
Don't know if you've already seen it on the Yamaha website or not, but the storage height on trailer for the 210 FSH Deluxe is listed at 80". The length on trailer with the hitch folded is listed at 22' exactly.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Totally get it. Just throwing it out there. Some places storage units can be "reasonable". Other places, not at all. It is worth exploring if one hasn't gone done that path before.
Yup. For me I was one of those people trying to fit a boat in my garage but in the end it made more sense to purchase storage space. It has saved me a bunch of wear and tear in my truck and the gas I would have spent towing to and from the lake. The only disadvantage is I can’t do any “garage boating” but honestly once you setup your boat you tend to not do as much fiddling and modding. For those times I do want to work on the boat I have to drive to it which obviously isn’t as convenient as having it at home but it’s not a deal breaker and the cost savings I’m doing by storing far exceeds that inconvenience. Having storage doesn’t put a limit on how big of a boat you want to upgrade to so that takes priority in the big scheme of things for me. YMMV

Last edited:

dadofral

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
This topic has gone round and round before and there are a few solutions, I have a three stall garage and keep our 212X in the two stall part when we have it home during the boating season. My wife parks on the other half of the two stall and I park in the third stall...anyways, we have an extra deep garage so the boat with the tongue folded fits nicely....the problem we ran into long ago was height, I ended up having to raise the header of the garage door and then getting a new door and opener. It wasn't the cheapest option, but it also makes it hassle free in and out with no messing around. I am glad we did it....not sure if this helps, but the 21 footer without some modification to the trailer or garage itself will be hard to fit.

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
#1 reason we brought home a 19 instead of a 24 when we bought. We went in to purchase the '16 "leftover" 242LS they had. Drove home with the AR190 once we realized it would fit in the garage. It was a "double save" since the price of the boat went down and the price of the storage went away.

Parents had a 22' travel trailer when I was a kid. It was stored offsite. I think the family owned that thing for the better part of a decade. I remember using it twice. Ever. We bought right at the cusp of budget and didn't have the free cash to actually use and operate the thing. I promised myself I would never ever ever own a "storage queen" toy.

With all that said, and in regards to the thread at hand. I'm really trying to talking the wife into a 212X. Our garage has the depth already, and the interior height, but the 7'door opening is the problem. Got a quote from a reputable contractor to raise the header to a 8'6" height. Cost was about $5k, roughly 18mo worth of storage fees.

Also, it's a good thing my wife reigns me in, or we would own ALL THE THINGS...... :D :D

Stang7tl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
#1 reason we brought home a 19 instead of a 24 when we bought. We went in to purchase the '16 "leftover" 242LS they had. Drove home with the AR190 once we realized it would fit in the garage. It was a "double save" since the price of the boat went down and the price of the storage went away.

Parents had a 22' travel trailer when I was a kid. It was stored offsite. I think the family owned that thing for the better part of a decade. I remember using it twice. Ever. We bought right at the cusp of budget and didn't have the free cash to actually use and operate the thing. I promised myself I would never ever ever own a "storage queen" toy.

With all that said, and in regards to the thread at hand. I'm really trying to talking the wife into a 212X. Our garage has the depth already, and the interior height, but the 7'door opening is the problem. Got a quote from a reputable contractor to raise the header to a 8'6" height. Cost was about $5k, roughly 18mo worth of storage fees.

Also, it's a good thing my wife reigns me in, or we would own ALL THE THINGS...... :D :D

was your house cbs or frame?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The nice thing though is that it would be easily accessible during the winter months to work on mods and such. I could kill a lot of time passing the winter by. Nice heater in the garage and I would be happy. Unfortunately my garage doesn't have the height even with the header lifted, so only thing I can do is boat garage. TBH after all the remodeling i just finished I don't feel like building a boat garage at least not this year. Rather spend time on the water on the weekends.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The nice thing though is that it would be easily accessible during the winter months to work on mods and such. I could kill a lot of time passing the winter by. Nice heater in the garage and I would be happy. Unfortunately my garage doesn't have the height even with the header lifted, so only thing I can do is boat garage. TBH after all the remodeling i just finished I don't feel like building a boat garage at least not this year. Rather spend time on the water on the weekends.
We're considering a move locally.....for a myriad of reasons......Found this floor plan and really liked it. Has a "toy garage" as a 3rd stall. Has a 10' door opening, and it's almost 30ft deep. This is almost identical to our current floor plan, but all the rooms are just a shade larger, and the lots are 3/4 acre instead of 1/4 acre.

The toy garage will definitely be on the list if we end up moving.

1613591079586.png

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@2kwik4u Now THAT is how you live right........ With an attached toy garage and a10' door.;)

agannole93

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We're considering a move locally.....for a myriad of reasons......Found this floor plan and really liked it. Has a "toy garage" as a 3rd stall. Has a 10' door opening, and it's almost 30ft deep. This is almost identical to our current floor plan, but all the rooms are just a shade larger, and the lots are 3/4 acre instead of 1/4 acre.

The toy garage will definitely be on the list if we end up moving.

View attachment 142397
We are looking at moving, or potentially land and a new build. I had always though of building a barn or standalone boat garage. This has now piqued my interest, never thought of trying to do this specifically attached but separate from a normal two car garage.

Levi Weatherford

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@2kwik4u Now THAT is how you live right........ With an attached toy garage and a10' door.;)
Go with an 11' door. Then you never have to take the tower down. So glad I did. You need 10' 7" to clear with tower up and no trailer mods. For Clarification I have a 2017 212 Limited S. Black Painted Trailer with Carlisle Radials at 50psi.

Last edited: