• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Has anyone had to replace plastic clips on the mooring cover?

galonuscct

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I was covering my boat yesterday and the plastic clip that connects the straps broke. It is the one right below the base of the tower where you have the 18" velcro seam. I noticed the webbing is stitched so it's not easily replaced. I used zip ties to connect the plastic clips together so I could ratchet the cover tight. I don't think I need to spend $850+ over a broken plastic clip, but I can't find a replacement clip on any of the supply websites.

Any advice? Has this happened to anyone before?

I have not done this for my cover. But have made strap modifications to other projects and used these.

$6.35 for a pair.

You can "weave" the strapping through and double it over to prevent it from slipping apart. Likewise if you have a heavy needle and some thick thread, you can hand stitch them back into place for added security.

I have not done this for my cover. But have made strap modifications to other projects and used these.

$6.35 for a pair.

You can "weave" the strapping through and double it over to prevent it from slipping apart. Likewise if you have a heavy needle and some thick thread, you can hand stitch them back into place for added security.

What sucks is the webbing is sown together, so I would need to cut the webbing to get the new clips on. I guess that is the route I will have to take.

What sucks is the webbing is sown together, so I would need to cut the webbing to get the new clips on. I guess that is the route I will have to take.
Just cut the stitching that holds the webbing together/overlapped. Fingernail clippers work well for this if you don't have small sewing scissors. A basic sewing kit from the drug store should have what you need as well. With any luck you can just "unstitch" the old one, and then sew on a new one.

With any luck you can just "unstitch" the old one, and then sew on a new one.

Yep. That's the route I will take. Just needed to think it through. I was just so pissed when it broke. I was in a hurry and had to crawl back in the boat with the cover mostly on to get some zip ties.

Yep. That's the route I will take. Just needed to think it through. I was just so pissed when it broke. I was in a hurry and had to crawl back in the boat with the cover mostly on to get some zip ties.
Man, I HATE going back in there once it's on. If I forget something small, I send the 10yr old in after it :D He's smart enough to follow directions really well, but not savvy enough to tell me no.......yet :D

Good luck with the repairs.

You should be able to get replacement clips from joannes fabrics or a Michael’s arts and crafts store, just get some heaven duty thread and a few sewing needless as well. Spend should be under $10. A think or would also help you to pierce the strap/webbing material.

Yes. Here's a link I posted in another thread about this.
Wow. That is exactly what will work. Just bust the old buckle off and the webbing is still intact with the loop. Does anyone know what width the webbing is? I think maybe 1" but forgot to measure.

Back