• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Has anyone tried the Tsunami Wakewedge?

ADSA95

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Curious to know if anyone has tried this product versus the wake wedge that gets drilled into the swim ladder.

The tsunami product attaches via suction cups versus the wake wedge that requires drilling into the ladder bracket.

Thanks

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ADSA95 That is a gizmo for generating delayed convergence effects, may or may not work great on jet boats.
Unless I'm thinking about a different product (please provide a link), @jcyamaharider /gantlin wake wedge is not the same concept; rather it smooths out the jet wash and shapes the wave, but does not affect the wave the same way that delayed convergence (or other wake systems such as a wake gate) work. Gantlin wake wedge is specifically designed for jet boats, really twins.
Hope this helps.

--

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I tried a similar product , the Ronix 8.3, my wake is way better with just the wake wedge. Our product does what @swatski said. We knock the jet blast down into the water smoothing out the surf side wake.

COtoFLsurf

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey JBers, I just relocated from CO to the FL Keys, sold the Centurion surf boat, and now focusing on setting-up the 242LS. Have a lot to learn about surfing the Yamaha, but most of the concepts are common across platforms.

ADSA95, there are at least 3 variables that go into making an awesome surf wake, and your question addresses 2 of them which are completely separate issues. This is a good thing, because no doubt you can dial it in!!! Stick with me ...

First is ballast. Your original question does not address this at all. You have got sink your boat. Not literally, of course, but our boats have awesome freeboard so no worries there. In the FL Keys I frequently see 35' offshore fishing boats that weigh 40K lbs, and when they pass by at "idle speed" I am pretty sure I could sure that "no wake" all day long. There truly is no replacement for displacement, so either plan on some fatsacs or find some fun ballast boys that like to drink beer, have an awesome playlist, and have no interest in the water (do NOT want them taking up water time). Jcyamaharider's signature says he runs 3K lbs of ballast, which puts out a great wake, others seem to be using 1500 lbs and getting decent wakes. Start with weight in the back corner of the side you are surfing and that will likely be a good starting point.

Second is wake quality. Your original post mentions Wake Wedge, and that fits here. In the v-drive world, we had Fresh Air Exhaust, wake plates, and odd-shaped swim platforms that hung down in the water and created a bunch of turbulence on the face of the wave. In the jet drive world, we have jets. When you see a surf wake that is white, those are air bubbles, and NOT conducive to surfing. When you see a surf wake that is the same color as the surrounding water, that is clean water that IS conducive to surfing. In the v-drive world, we sometimes used "mud flaps" to eliminate the turbulence and create a clean wake, most often consisting of a piece of rubber horse stall mat bolted to the swim deck (yes, google it ...). In the jet-drive world, jcyamaharider has invented (and sells) the Wake Wedge to knock down the wash from the jet drives. Without a clean wake, you are toast, regardless of the ballast or any other wake-making device. However, a small, clean wake is no fun at all so you really need Wake Wedge (or mud flap), plus ballast, plus potentially ...

Third is "delayed convergence" devices, like the Tsunami Wake Gate you mention. There are a bunch of these devices on the market and they all started with Malibu's Surfgate. Essentially, they stick out on the non-surf side of the boat to create drag, making the boat ride at a slight angle which increases wave height on the surf side. The most interesting thing about these devices is they allow you to weight your boat evenly, as opposed to having it listed to one side or the other. This allows you to wakeboard, then quickly switch to surfing without changing the ballast. This can also be a HUGE deal if you have regular and goofy-foot surfers on your boat (we are a mixed-marriage, so that is my situation) I have never been a huge fan of these devices, but they do indeed increase wave height and I do plan on having one on my 242LS, especially with our shallow waters in the FL Keys.

Netting it out from one guy's perspective:

1) You need a clean wake, so plan on Wake Wedge or a simple mud flap.
2) You need to put a hole in the water, so plan on ballast or some fun, fat friends (fat friends are MUCH more fun than fat sacs)
3) Bonus for delayed convergence, if you have regular/goofy riders on your boat, or if you mainly wakeboard and want to do a surf set or two.

2017 242LSE, congratulations, we are all jealous !!! ;-)

ADSA95

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for such a detailed response I truly appreciate it. It all seems to make sense to me. Figuring out the right combination of the three different devices I'm sure will take some time but at least it's a starting point. Thanks again

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have a Ronix 8.3 that I am willing to sell cheap if you would like to go that route. I will never use it again.

I am good without convergence

20140801_082521.jpg