• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Heart Health

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I thought I would start a new conversation regarding this subject since most of us on here are hard working males in our 40's-60's. In the conversation about @ArmyChief I mentioned I was going to get checked out due to my brother having had 2 heart attacks before the age of 52 (problem is due to his hypothalamus which regulates blood pressure, very rare cause). Someone mentioned they wanted updates of the results. I think this is an important conversation for all of us and that we should not delay being proactive about the condition of our heart.

First visit with the cardiologist went well. He is the same age as me (43) and totally understands wanting to have the basic tests done to erase any doubt about what is going on with your heart. In his words there are 3 main things that cause a heart attack: 1) smoking, 2) diabetes, 3) genetics. We have all heard the warnings, and we all know about lung cancer, but the single worst thing you can do for your arteries is smoke. (Don't shoot the messenger).

If you are a healthy male just walking in off the street then you are limited to what tests can be performed and paid by your insurance. You cannot get a angiogram paid for by your insurance without having something wrong with you. However you can get 4 basic tests performed that aren't that expensive and will rule out 90% of the things that can be wrong with your heart.
1) Coronary CT Calcium Score
2) Cardiac Ultrasound
3) Stress test
4) Blood work

1) I just had the CT scan performed. It's not covered by insurance but it is only $100. It takes 2 minutes in the CT scanner and you get the results immediately. My score was 0. The lower the score the better. This scan is looking for the hard calcium that starts to form on the walls of your arteries.

2) Cardiac Ultrasound. My insurance picked this up 100% because we have already met our max out of pocket (wife's chemo), so I am not sure the cost on this. It takes 30 minutes and you get the results on your next visit. This is the best way to see what is going on with the heart and all related arteries and muscles. It measures the size of the arteries, blood flow through the arteries, and valves.

This is all I have done so far. I have the stress test and blood work in 2 weeks. I will post an update after I have done those tests and received results.

Last edited:

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great info my 44 year old friend just had a heart attack as well and my father passed from one at 45 so I have started considering getting some of this stuff done.

JROD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
I thought I would start a new conversation regarding this subject since most of us on here are hard working males in our 40's-60's. In the conversation about @ArmyChief I mentioned I was going to get checked out due to my brother having had 2 heart attacks before the age of 52. Someone mentioned they wanted updates of the results. I think this is an important conversation for all of us and that we should not delay being proactive about the condition of our heart.

First visit with the cardiologist went well. He is the same age as me (43) and totally understands wanting to have the basic tests done to erase any doubt about what is going on with your heart. In his words there are 3 main things that cause a heart attack: 1) smoking, 2) diabetes, 3) genetics. We have all heard the warnings, and we all know about lung cancer, but the single worst thing you can do for your arteries is smoke. (Don't shoot the messenger).

If you are a healthy male just walking in off the street then you are limited to what tests can be performed and paid by your insurance. You cannot get a angiogram paid for by your insurance without having something wrong with you. However you can get 4 basic tests performed that aren't that expensive and will rule out 90% of the things that can be wrong with your heart.
1) Coronary CT Calcium Score
2) Cardiac Ultrasound
3) Stress test
4) Blood work

1) I just had the CT scan performed. It's not covered by insurance but it is only $100. It takes 2 minutes in the CT scanner and you get the results immediately. My score was 0. The lower the score the better. This scan is looking for the hard calcium that starts to form on the walls of your arteries.

2) Cardiac Ultrasound. My insurance picked this up 100% because we have already met our max out of pocket (wife's chemo), so I am not sure the cost on this. It takes 30 minutes and you get the results on your next visit. This is the best way to see what is going on with the heart and all related arteries and muscles. It measures the size of the arteries, blood flow through the arteries, and valves.

This is all I have done so far. I have the stress test and blood work in 2 weeks. I will post an update after I have done those tests and received results.
@BigN8, THANKS BIG! Hope all goes well for you!

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for posting this and sharing your results. Sounds pretty food for you so far!

I've been very fortunate to work for a company like 3M that allow you a physical once a year. I should say our insurance provider allows it. And you would be surprised to know that less than half our employees take advantage of this. There is no out of pocket, just set the appointment and go. I have been lucky enough so far to not have had any issues.

Thanks again for posting and good luck with the rest of your testing.

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for sharing @BigN8 Good luck with the rest of your tests and keep us posted. And sorry to hear about what your wife and your family are going through with her chemo. Hope she is doing better.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I just need to get my butt into the doctor. I haven't see one in about a decade! I have had check ups for insurance stuff where they just take blood pressure and do a blood test, but even that is 2 years old now. I know they said everything was good, but I was right on the border for the best rates. Gotta keep watching it!
So back to the gut busting thread.....

(as I chug a Pepsi and eat Domino's pizza...)

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@BigN8 , that was me that wanted the update, thanks.
Remember, I had ALL four of those done in December of 2014 and was told that I was perfect.
My cardiologist said the angio dye test is the tell all. Now, I understand insurance companies might not pay for it up front...we have to do what we have to do. However, my second cardiologist said my score was a 140 (moderate calcification) and THAT should have prompted my PAST cardiologist to do the angio back in 2014.

Glad this is sparking testing...and questions. Hope all your test go well. BTW, mine was genetics.

Lastly, STAY OFF statins if you can..they are BAD news. If you HAVE to take them..take lowest dose that works and move to every-other-day

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I read about your bad fortune @ArmyChief glad to see your on the mend now.

Regarding heart problems and health, there was an interesting program on the BBC recently regarding staying young and healthy, after all the tests and evaluating research it's all down to 75% lifestyle and 25% genes. I see armychief mentions genetics so his condiction was not his fault or controllable but to most of us it is, stay healthy, think healthy, be healthy.

Last edited:

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure I believe the BBC's numbers's...it all depends on who was doing the tests, if they had a motive 9try to PROVE their argument). This is why i take SOOOO long to evaluate things. Especially health...you have to see if the drug companies sponsored any portion of the test. Then research the doctor or institution.

I could quote many people like Jim Fixx (marathon runner who died of heart attack WHILE while running also), who's BMI was low and worked out, ate healthy.

I believe in the pendulum effect. Lifestyle, genetics, BMI, diet..etc all work on either side of the pendulum.... Then EVEN if you do EVERYTHING right...genetics can kill ya.

Bottom line, do all you can to mitigate the risk:

Get screenings done (4 test mentioned above) once over 40.
Monitor your weight (BMI) and diet to maintain a HEALTHY weight/appearance
Limit red meat to 2-3 a week max
Increase vegetable/fruit intake
Exercise 20-30 minutes (heart rate to cardio level based of age & fitness) 3 times a week minimum

Take 200-400 mg of CoQ10 (I take 200 in morning & 200 in evening) Your body diminishes making CoQ10 about age 40 (Increase as needed if taking STATINS)
Take PQQ along with CoQ10
Take Krill/Fish oil
81mg of Aspirin (latest testing shows aspirin may ALSO diminish cancer by up to 20%)

Always check with a COMPETENT (someone who actual keeps up with latest medical reports - hard to find), before doing anything

I'm not a doctor...but I DID stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night :)

Ajax

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hope you like to run, it took them turning speed and incline way up to get my heart rate to desired bpm for the test.

Top Bottom