• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Heavy white smoke from starboard engine

Dan 4049

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just bought a 2017 AR210. Guy before me hasn’t had it out yet this year. Day I bought it he said he “topped off the oil”. He did this on the trailer while engine was cold. I took the boat out for first time this weekend. Both engines started fine, idled around fine for about 15 minutes while we waited for friends to launch. When throttle was applied the port engine rpms would go up to 7800 then immediately fall to zero. I backed the throttle down to idle. Rpms returned to 1500. Tried giving throttle again rpms did the same thing,Pp ran up then dropped hard, there was a difference in rpm around 500 between the two engines, after a few attempts I just kept at idle and motored around for a little, I then attempted to give it a little more throttle, the the starboard engine won’t exceed 5200 RPM, after about 30 seconds of messing with it, large amounts of white smoke are discharged from the rear of the boat. Changed the oil in both engines. Got 2.25 qts out of the port engine (the one that had the rpm drop) and I got 4 qts out of the starboard engine. After the oil change did a compression test. Port engine all cylinders were at 180 psi. Starboard engine was 2 at 190 and one at 210. Replaced the plugs. Ran them on hose, notice a sheen on the water out the exhaust of the starboard engine. Also guy has since informed me gas that was in there is probably 2019 gas (he hasn’t had it out at all this year). There was a little under half a tank when I got it from him, filled it up to almost full. Any help or direction would be a huge help

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
glad to have you join us,

I'm no mechanical expert and hopefully some others will join in shortly,

normally I relate white smoke to water getting in the combustion chamber, like a bad head gasket, sometimes our boats will have a white smoke because the exhaust uses raw water that gets expelled near the jet pump, so we probably need to know if you saw a "mist" in the air or if it was "billowing cloud" of smoke,

Did you take a test ride before you bought the boat ? if so how long was it and did you go wide open throttle for any of it ?

I would idle it on the hose for a good 30 minutes to see if the white smoke comes back, if you see the smoke I would stop it immediately,

If you think it was overfilled with oil you air filters could be saturated, I would pull them and even run the boat on the hose without them,

Dan 4049

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It was a billowing smoke, I’ve been on jet skis before and have seen the typical steam from exhaust and cool water. This was billow of smoke and smelled kinda like burning oil so

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If it was the first time maybe the fogging oil was burning off

Tgen2013

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Something stinks in Stockholm....................................

The AR's SX's are quite similar. You dont even measure your oil unless it is.

1. Warmed up
2. In the water

Anything else invites inaccurate measures. Let alone the dude just adding oil to a cold engine.

They actual maximum oil amount for each TR-1 engine is 3.59 quarts. If you pulled 4 from one tat must be dude just arbitrarily adding oil on the trailer.
Too much oil will cause internal vac/pressure issues which can cause limp modes an erratic throttle performance.
I am hoping with Scott in Texas that one (the overfilled one) shot oil into your air filters and that's where the oil that causing the cloud is coming from.

Dan 4049

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Tonight took it back to lake after checking the oil properly and extracting some. At idle small amounts of smoke with an odor from the rear, as soon as reverse throttle given much more smoke, full throttle in forward we looked like the blue angels on water, making smoke curtains. There was a sheen on the water at the dock. Was able to get the boat up running at 35 mph, no weird noises. But the port engine did drop again in Rpms. So that engine is consistent in power issue. Tried to upload a video but won’t work