• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Helix 9 GPS/Sonar Placement

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Dealer sent me some photos and I told them to just rig and test the wiring up to the console. This sucker is a little bigger than I thought so going to have to see this in person before doing any drilling. I think this spot is going to be fine but need to make sure its stable enough to handle rough spring lake rollers.

Reasons for not installing in console: Want to be able to remove it so it does not get stolen. Need to be able to spin around to view from bow when fishing lake ledges. Too cheap to buy one for the bow!

Photos

Danielmailin

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Wow, that is big! can you drill a whole in the console organizer to lower the GPS base?

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Not sure what I am going to do as trying to drop it through will block the handle for tightening up the ram mount. Also found out that we need to order a 2nd transducer for side imaging to work with a jet engine. With a typical outboard/inboard the lower unit keeps the prop away enough so you don't have to deal with distortion. With the jet engine it will block one side or the other depending on which side you mount it on. Y cable and 2nd ducer on order so it looks like I will run 2 using half of each to read.

So going to try to get all the photos I can but will probably stay at the shop until the other transducer comes in.

Could only imagine what I would need to rig up if I had decided to get a power pole on this as well.

KevKline

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Another reason for not mounting it 'in the console' is that it won't fit. I ordered a Helix 9 with the intent of flush-mounting it in the console. Once the dealer got it, they told me that it won't fit. Total bummer. Can't use the Helix 7 because it can't communicate with the iPilot trolling motor...

I plan on adding the console organizer from JBP, but I'm not sure about mounting the Helix on top of that since the height of the organizer, then the Helix 9 on top of that might be distracting.

I think I'm going to have them use a Ram mount on the front of the console to keep it lower. Definitely not ideal though...

Attachments

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Here is where I landed, actually went with a longer ram mount so I can spin it around and view from the front of the boat over the windshield. Yes it can be kinda in the way but with the longer ram mount I can move it over to the right. Will try to get more photos with mine in multiple positions including where I mounted mine to the cup holder. If you get the cupholder make sure to silicon the holes I have to go back and do that on mine. Also I found out after the fact that you need a special $30 adapter cable to convert the circular network cable into a rectangular snow man cable. Looking through my emails for that part number.

AS EC QDE
Part #: 720074-1

Last edited:

Carlos Borges

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hi, I just bought the same Helix 9 for my FSH, where do you mounted the transducer? can you post some pictures?

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
UPDATE TO THIS POST 5/16/2016: In fresh water my boat reads up to 26 mph in salt water I found it read up to 13-18mph. Either need to adjust some settings or need a different mount location to get a better reading in salt water.

You will need to get the Y adapter and a 2nd transducer. My dealer mounted mine like so and I can read depth up to about 26 mph. I believe that @highanddryinco mounted his just a little further out than mine but lost bottom over 10 mph. Another member on here mounted his further out from the jet engine and can read up on plane. So its up to you on what you want since these are reading right and left I was worried that too much separation between them would leave a gap in reading directly under the boat. Might have your dealer check with humminbird to confirm.

I am also assuming you went with the iPilot and if so you will need to order a special adapter to plug the extension Ethernet cable into the back of the helix 9 (AS EC QDE). I was not impressed with having to buy yet another adapter to get this all running. I have the big iPilot remote and really thinking about purchasing the foot pedal or the small micro remote for regular use. I do like the screen on the big remote but its soo bulky would rather have something a little smaller for flipping banks and shorelines.

Last edited:

Carlos Borges

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
thanks for the pictures now i have some ideas, i will post mine after the installation its done

Carlos Borges

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Ok guys, i have my boatgasm very high right now, check it out my installation of the Helix 9 SI GPS, to start we used a RAM post to mount the cradle for my unit i installed in that position because my garage door its just 7 foot height, i need to be able to disconnect the unit to park the boat inside my garage i need to unmount the T top, windshield and rest seat because of that. I didn't want to perforate my transom (the less hole in your boat the less water problem you will have) so i installed a stern saver plus my transducer cable went trough one of the water discharger, in order to pass the cable we warm the plastic of the hole with a heater gun, you can change for a 3/4 connection and it will fit.

Attachments

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I have put so many holes in my boat its hard to keep count now...LOL. The funny thing is all my water issues come from existing holes in the boat. I can say after doing some silicon work, using a tarp over my center console, and keeping the rubber plug in my seat post hole those have almost gone away. Still find some water after a really hard rain but not as bad as I first did.

Carlos Borges

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
what you guys think the t top can be used for wakeboarding??

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
That initial pull out of the water might be too much but I don't know how anchored the tower is. If the tower had some type of rear support I might try it but its straight up and down so heavy pulling from the rear might pop the bolts or cause stress cracks where the tower is attached.

Corey

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Ok guys, i have my boatgasm very high right now, check it out my installation of the Helix 9 SI GPS, to start we used a RAM post to mount the cradle for my unit i installed in that position because my garage door its just 7 foot height, i need to be able to disconnect the unit to park the boat inside my garage i need to unmount the T top, windshield and rest seat because of that. I didn't want to perforate my transom (the less hole in your boat the less water problem you will have) so i installed a stern saver plus my transducer cable went trough one of the water discharger, in order to pass the cable we warm the plastic of the hole with a heater gun, you can change for a 3/4 connection and it will fit.

Corey

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just curious how ur transducer is working for you in this spot? Getting ready to mount mine and trying to get some insight! I was worried that you may get some turbulence there from the speedo?