• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help....2017 Yamaha AR190 Jet Boat

napatric18

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good afternoon ! We just recently purchased a 2017 Yamaha AR 190 Jet Boat last week. We took out for the 1st time this past weekend, and in my excitement I had forgotten to put in the 2 hull plugs.
So fast forward to being anchored at a sand bar for about 4 hours, I finally realized the plugs weren't in. Water had crept up to about halfway on the engine....as well as halfway up the battery in the battery compartment area. Bilge pump turned on and finally drained all the water after about 45 minutes, but alas, had to get towed back into the marina.
I've checked the battery and fuses and all seem to function (accessories still turn on, horn, radio etc). Charged the battery too just in case. However the boat will not turn over and actually never turned over since the issue happened.
So.....I'm wondering if there's water in the engine (although engine was never started so not sure if water would've got in there). Or is there a short with the cellunoid or something with the Starter ?
Anyways, I'm bringing to a local dealer who services Yamaha Jet Boats.....just nervous as to what the diagnosis may be :S

Figured my 1st post to this site might as well be a doozy.

Nick

Sidarousmg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
easy to check if there is water in the engine. take the spark plugs out and crank it. if there is water in there, you will see it shooting out. also, check the oil to see if was also contaminated. if there is water in the engine, crank it (with spark plugs out) until all the water has been evacuated (compressed air works well too), dry the spark plugs (or change them) and then try to start the engine. if you get it started, run it until warm and check the oil. if you have milky oil, you will need to change it and then run the engine again. repeat until oil is clean. was this is salt or fresh water?

napatric18

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So if there was water in there it would prevent it from turning over ? Makes sense I guess. This was in fresh water in Wisconsin (Lake Michigan).

There was a bit of water in the air filter housing as the intake hole is rather low on the engine. I emptied that out and have a fan blowing on the open air filter housing.

Sidarousmg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
yes, if water got in the engine, it will not allow the motor to start as fluid cannot compress inside the cylinder. if you are near your boat, i would recommend checking sooner rather than later, and getting the water out (if any). it sounds and will look scary the first time you see water shooting out of the top of the engine, but don't worry, happened to many before you (me included). not sure how long it would take, but my guess is not long before rust starts to appear on internal metal parts.....

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If the starter isn't cranking, it could be that the starter motor is shorted or a fuse blew when you tried to start it.

dscable

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If the starter isn't cranking, it could be that the starter motor is shorted or a fuse blew when you tried to start it.
I would suggest checking this if you are getting nothing when turning the key. The connection to the starter is a little hard to get to, I have to lay across the top of the engine to get my hand down there. It's on the right side. I have had to re-tighten, and clean this connection several times (probably just need to replace the starter soon) on my AR190. I think it's a 10mm, and I have found an open ended wrench is your best bet (can't get a socket on it).

Woodsy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am far from an expert regarding these matters.... Did you pinch off your engine coolant water intake line while under tow? If not, from what I have read here, it may be more likely that you have water in your engine.