• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

@HELP 2018 242LSE Check Engine Stop BCU

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looking for anyone familiar with Stop BCU Check Engine code. Just launched 2nd time this season.

I’m anchored 1 mile from launch from launch I ran at low idle for about 15 min, then ran across lake to anchor spot running about 42mph.

coming off plane and no wake to setup anchor the Check Engine alarm started. Immediately shut off engine.

Now sitting on anchor trying to troubleshoot.
JoePoolLake, North Texas

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Batteries are a little lower than normal, despite being on Noco charge an hour ago. I tried to parallel batteries to get voltage up. Dash showing 12.6v on both.

also tried a full system reboot with battery switches.

both engines will crank, but throw an alarm as soon as computer boots up.

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Further inspection reveals buckets are out of sync when computer is off. Starboard bucket is all the way up, Port is all the way down.

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
May have found trouble. After working with Port bucket…..checking for debris and gently bumping it……code has cleared.

I was able to crank both engines and observe correct bucket movement on both when shifting R-N-F.

Gonna give the roof solar a little longer to charge and then try a run back to dock. New batteries will be bought tomorrow.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, I don't have that version, but if memory serves that is the 'something is stuck in a bucket' error. Give them a rattle, turn off for a bit, turn back on and normally they reset. I think.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
(also, I think you have to put @HELP in the text, not in the subject, for it to work... I think again)

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad you got it sorted out!!!!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
(pulled the at help button in case he didn't get it, as he is not yet underway, or I was wrong...)

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
After rattling the buckets…error code never returned. We got it back in safely. still gonna replace both batteries. It’s time after 4 years.

Thanks to the library of information of this forum I was able to apply a little info and get back on my way. Appreciate the brotherhood here.

Poor fellow beside me at the ramp was swimming his in after running out of gas.

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I pulled both batteries and put on charge out of the boat. Both read about 12.4 with multi-meter after charge.

took them to Sam’s Club auto center for Cold Crank testing. My (5yr old)Blue Top Optima start battery failed test performing 200cca out of 800. My house group 31 Duracell AGM(4 years old) tested marginal at 400of 800cca. They put this one on their charger for two hours. It would not take a charge.

Purchased (2) new AGM batteries and installed. Also performed DVSR modifications to allow my Noco dual bank charger to measure batteries independently. (Clipped red loop wire, connected DVSR input to purple “Engine On” wire)

Took boat out day after with no codes thrown.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
What could have happened if the boat is put in reverse in shallow water then the throttle is applied the water is directed at about a 30’ angle, this is how these boats create reverse thrust. That angle blows debri loose from the bottom it’s immediately sucked into the intake grate small pebbles and shells can hang up in the reverse gate and make it jam. The other item to check on the E Series is the reverse bucket gate cable. When the boat is on the trailer go into the shift controller, this is the black box in the starboard storage area, release the latches go to the shift gates and move them up and down check to see that they move freely If the shift cables are binding it will create resistance and that will throw a code. At some point the batteries that have low capacity will create this error as well.

MarkG33

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I read on a yamaha forum that the buckets can be an issue for sure. This from a tech. I have a new 255xd and when I trailered it I was unding only one engine. I noitced today that the port bucket is up and the starboard is down. I think I just shut the engine off this way but when I start the engine the bucket does not return to neutral.

I am gonna go tinker with it to see if it will break free and raise back up. Of note, I also just installed thrust vectors from JetboatPilot.com so maybe I have an overtightening issue as well.

From the tech "The system is also more vulnerable during a start/stop cycle. When the engines are running the gates will be in whatever position the hand levers demand. When the engine is shut off the gates will need to be in the up or the forward position. If the engine was shut off while in the hand control was in the forward position the gates will not move much. If the engines where shut off with the hand control in the neutral or reverse position the gates will need to move up several inches. While these gates are moving to the forward position a few seconds after the engine is shut off and little rub will cause the error. A common BCU error scenario is the boat is running in neutral or reverse and a person turns the steering wheel full lock in either direction and then shuts the engine off. Another common scenario is a person turns the wheel full lock to either position and then starts the boat. If these two scenarios cause a BCU error I have had to either readjust the steering cables to prevent the Reverse gate from rubbing the housing or even slightly file down the plastic gate to prevent the rub. There are several other causes of BCU errors but they are mostly caused from bad batteries or electrical wire connection issues. Please note if an error occurs most of the time the boat will return to normal if the Steering wheel is turned straight, the engines are shut off, the key is shut off and the battery switches shut off for about a minute. Then switch the batteries back on, turn the key on and restart the engines."