• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

HELP _ Scarab 195 depth finder / Sonar / Transducer options...

DarrenHBH14

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open G
Boat Length
Hi!

I posted an earlier thread to see whether anyone could explain where Scarab fit the transducer for the OEM depth finder, but not had a response yet... so re posting and hoping...

"My 2018 195 Open ID supplied in the UK doesn't have the depth finder, so I'm fitting a NASA Clipper with an in-hull transducer (with a little help from a friend!)
I'd like to fit the transducer in the same location that Scarab use for a factory fit, but can't find out where it should be. Looked through all 170 pages of the 2018 operation manual, searched this forum - can't find it. Anyone know or even better, have a picture? THANK YOU!"

My plan - which is not going well - is to:
1. Install a Nasa Clipper depth finder next to the main instruments - but not sure how to take power? The Accs ports have plugs into them - can I connect or are they wired back to something else?
2. Install the transducer inside the hull with sealant (ie not making a hole through the the hull), but I don't know where to install it. Most of the hull seems inaccessible beneath the deck and the engine compartment is pretty crowded.

And the big question - I have seen a post that says a Scarab transducer is available to plug into the existing system - is this the case and how can I buy one?

All help is very much appreciated, of course I'll picture and post the final solution (if it works).

Thank you!

Attachments

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I saw your post 2 weeks ago on Facebook. Someone offered a picture of their factory install on a 195 open. But you never responded to him. Did you miss the comment?

In the 165, there's a flat spot/pad on the port side of the engine for it. Sounds like the 195 is similar based on the comments of your post on Facebook.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I mounted a second in-the-hull transducer for my Garmin unit. You want to install it at the lowest area possible, closest to the bottom of the "V" and as far back as you can.

DarrenHBH14

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open G
Boat Length
Could this be the 195 Open stock transducer location?

IMG_7468.jpg

Seems to fit with advice from Luc - just to port of engine. Also now Scarab website is back up, the locator for the transducer looks to be the same shape and size...PastedGraphic-2.png

Trying to get a price for the Scarab transducer in the hope it is plug-and-play and will bring the depth reading to life in the dash, but not easy getting a response from the 1 UK Scarab dealer...

DarrenHBH14

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open G
Boat Length
I saw your post 2 weeks ago on Facebook. Someone offered a picture of their factory install on a 195 open. But you never responded to him. Did you miss the comment?

In the 165, there's a flat spot/pad on the port side of the engine for it. Sounds like the 195 is similar based on the comments of your post on Facebook.
(Saw the comment but couldn't get a pic or certainty on location btw.)

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
The transducer pads I've seen were grey... but maybe they are black in some boat... the ones I've seen are also located under the air intake, farther forward than what you're showing. Maybe about 2-3ft. Have you looked under that big air intake pipe?

DarrenHBH14

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open G
Boat Length
Thank you Luc, I should be on the boat tomorrow and will get my head in there…

mbonadio

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
I just bought a 2020 165ID and am installing my Garmin Striker. Still playing with the transponder location myself trying to get a good signal - so this is helpful... My first attempt didn't work, so I am trying a spot closer to the V but not quite as far back - close to the port side exhaust.... Fingers crossed - I don't want to be drilling a cable through the hull either...

Used duct seal to seat my transponder in the past with success - so using that same approach again. Fortunately it's easily moved and reformed.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
@mbonadio Just make sure you're not over the ride plate. Otherwise it won't work.

Scarabscott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
I have a 2019 195id , I have the factory transducer. I added a simrad transducer near it in the engine bay using Dusct Seal. Works perfect .

mbonadio

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
My first spot didn't work, so I moved it back, and 2nd try worked great. I love duct seal!