• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Help! At lake now, R engine no start

flyin_dutchman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm on the ramp, got the L engine going but R side just cranks & won't start. Then the L side quit, but after few tries, it started again. Last had the boat out 2 mos ago, no problems.
I put 15 gal of fresh gas in today.
Help!
Thanks, Dave

Make sure there is nothing in the clean out hatch to prevent the safety switch from being made on that motor and move the shifter thru a cycle forward and backward then back to neutral.

Also check your fuses. My '09 SX230 (not sure if I've got the same motors) has a screw-off cover near each engine that houses a little 20A (I think) fuse. I blew them both one year by hooking the battery up backwards! :banghead:

Edit: Thinking about it again, I don't believe the engines will even crank when those fuses are blown.

Last edited:
My boat may be different but if it does crank I didn't think it could be the cleanout safety or the transmission lever (forward/reverse). I thought it was the lanyard off still allows it to crank which is more like this scenario. I am going to test these scenarios again and put a note in my glove box.

Yep. Lanyard kills the spark. Throttles and cleanout tray kill the starter.

Well done fellas. Glad to see I can count on this group the next time I forget something.

You can be honest and say the throttle wan't in neutral! ;). Just kidding, the dang throttles get me every time!
Yeah, you aint kidding. I seem to do that alot!

I got a .10 cent fix thanks to the speedy responses. Two nickles taped did the trick. Switches were moved with scupper change a month ago.
Thanks again all! I owe you a beer

I don't understand how it was the cleanout switch but yet you said the engine cranked.

I assume what it was is the switches just making contact but with the vibration of the motor turning over was causing an intermittent switch to activate the motor to kill but then would see a closed single again and turn the engine over acting like it is starting but in real life was a "first cycle " every time the switch changed states.

I bought my first boat last year and knew very little about boating (nothing basically). That said I am a DIY'r and I wanted the support of a user forum behind me. I was sold on the Chaparrals and they have a very good user forum as well, but nothing like this forum. It remains one of the primary reasons I am happy that I purchased a Yamaha and would purchase another.

I don't understand how it was the cleanout switch but yet you said the engine cranked.
I'm not sure either? I didn't think the engine would even crank if kill switches were not making contact? That's why it wasn't my first thought cause the L did start at first, but no R side start even tho it cranked over? Then the L side quit, like fuel starved... I was stumped
When I changed my scupper I marked the threads on kill switches to get them back to correct, but apparently I missed by a very small amount, cause engines cranked over.

Back