• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help connecting VHF to Chartplotter using NMEA 0183

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the Standard Horizon GX1600 and Garmin’s Echomap Plus 64cv. I would like to connect the VHF to the chart plotter for GPS...how?

Coming from the VHF are four wires, Blue,Green, Gray & Brown.

The Garmin manual shows the following:

Is it simply hooking up the VHF blue to Garmin blue, and then brown to brown?

cbpagent72

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If you could still return your VHF I would recommend getting this one and it is NMEA2000 capable which is much easier. The price difference looks like it's about 40 to 50 bucks at the GPS Store. If you create a NMEA2000 backbone you can add a lot more devices easily. Your GPS is already NMEA2000 capable.

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Got it off eBay for $70

cbpagent72

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Oh okay. I honestly don't know how to do the older NMEA install. I know somebody on here has done it. Hopefully they chime in.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Vhf blue to garmin blue, Vhf Gray to garmin Brown, VHf green and brown to garmin black and then to ground, I believe.

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Sbrown i think you’re right. I found this on Garmin’s site.BF25AA9F-1A83-4363-BD93-9FD2E6DBCC1E.jpeg

Last edited:

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
@AJack the picture you show totally contradicts your statement. What happens if it's wrong? It just doesn't work, right?

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Dean P my initial stab is wrong (blue to blue and brown to brown). I think Sbrown is correct (blue to blue and vhf gray to Garmin brown), which is a bit validated in the other pic I posted.

I was trying to knock it out today, but my errands to leave the country on Sunday morning need to get finished.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That wiring diagram is correct in its wire use identifiers as far as what inputs connect to what outputs, but its incorrect in its wire color identification, I believe.

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is correct, I should edit the pic. The VHF in the pic is a Garmin VHF, and that’s why the colors don’t match the SH VHF colors. I was trying to point out that the Garmin Blue and Brown are positive.

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It worked. Connected VHF blue to Garmin blue, VHF Gray to Garmin Brown, VHF green to common ground between VHF and Garmin, and left the VHF brown disconnected. All of a sudden, the coordinates appeared on the VHF! Now, where to mount the mic and the antenna (and how to get the antenna cable into the hull)...