• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help diagnose my engine problem

Dean Andler

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Me and my family recently purchased a 2001 Yamaha ls2000 from a friend, only problem is the left side engine will cut out or start too about mid throttle while the other engine runs perfect. At first it wouldn't even get that far but the more it ran the more throttle it could take. Any suggestions what may be causing this engine to cut out?

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
- change the fuel filters
- change spark plugs
- take a compression reading of all cylinders on the bad engine
- when we're the carbs last rebuilt?
- engines cutting off completely can be the result of the safety switch under the rear plug/clea out hatch. Tape a nickel above the switch temporarily to see if the problem goes away. If so, adjust the switch

Also, congratulations on the new boat. Leave room for some time and money to make it perfect and you will have a great boat.

Dean Andler

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
- change spark plugs
- engines cutting off completely can be the result of the safety switch under the rear plug/clea out hatch. Tape a nickel above the switch temporarily to see if the problem goes away. If so, adjust the switch

Also, congratulations on the new boat. Leave room for some time and money to make it perfect and you will have a great boat.
We changed the fuel filters and it ran great!! But we had a tow rope get sucked into the intakes, we pulled the boat out and cut all the rope out and dropped it back in! The left side engine started right up while the right side wouldn't even turn over. We got the boat home, checked spark plugs, pulled out the jet pump and nothing was lodged in there. The only other thing I can think of is the intake plugs. Any other suggestions?

Dean Andler

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
- change spark plugs

It's like there is a cut off on the engine, won't turn over or even make the slightest of sounds when you turn the key.

Dean Andler

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
- change spark plugs

Last thing is that we were only in nuatral when the ropes were caught.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On top of the other suggestions add Seafoam to the next several tanks of gas.

Dean Andler

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
On top of the other suggestions add Seafoam to the next several tanks of gas.
I saw that it could've been water in the engine where I was towed but we pulled spark plugs and tried to start it up and it still wouldn't make any noise.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I saw that it could've been water in the engine where I was towed but we pulled spark plugs and tried to start it up and it still wouldn't make any noise.
The cleanout plug hatch on the swim deck has two switches to test if it is open. If they are not fully depressed the engine(s) will not turn over. Some have taped dimes or nickels on the hatch where it presses the switch as a temporary solution. You can adjust the height of the switch if this is the issue.

Dean Andler

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
The cleanout plug hatch on the swim deck has two switches to test if it is open. If they are not fully depressed the engine(s) will not turn over. Some have taped dimes or nickels on the hatch where it presses the switch as a temporary solution. You can adjust the height of the switch if this is the issue.
I had went out early and checked that by having my friend hold the two buttons down while I tried to turn it over and still nothing.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does the starter engage?

The neutral switch also disengages the engine unless it is in neutral.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It sounds like you are saying there is no noise or action when you turn the key. Like others have said, there are safety's on the rear clean-out hatch and the gear shift (has to be in neutral).

- Doesn't sound like it is the neutral switch since you said the other engine starts fine
- Did you check the fuse in the CDI box at the rear of the engine compartment wall? There is a circular cap that you unscrew and there is a fuse in there
- Doesn't sound like the clean out safety since you had a friend hold it down. It could still be a bad switch
- Could be the ignition/key as one of the last things to check

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I am gonna say fuse is next logical step as well.

Dean Andler

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
It sounds like you are saying there is no noise or action when you turn the key. Like others have said, there are safety's on the rear clean-out hatch and the gear shift (has to be in neutral).

- Doesn't sound like it is the neutral switch since you said the other engine starts fine
- Did you check the fuse in the CDI box at the rear of the engine compartment wall? There is a circular cap that you unscrew and there is a fuse in there
- Doesn't sound like the clean out safety since you had a friend hold it down. It could still be a bad switch
- Could be the ignition/key as one of the last things to check
I will check the CDI box. But it doesn't make since because it was running perfect until the tow rope was caught in the intake and the engine just clicked off. Everything before that was fine, it would start right up, no rough idle or start up. I did try to start it 3-4 times before I figured out the tow rope was caught though but still it wouldn't even turn over as did the other but once the rope cut out of both the left side one started right up.

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@4x15mph, is there only one neutral switch? I thought there were two.

Another thought I had is, is something stuck in the jet preventing the engine turning over?

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bruce , only 1 neutral switch in my dual engine ls2000. I think the throttle assembly is similar/same.

Can definitely be due to something still stuck. I would remove the pump regardless to make sure it is all clear even if the problem turns out to be something else.

Dean Andler

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
@Bruce , only 1 neutral switch in my dual engine ls2000. I think the throttle assembly is similar/same.

Can definitely be due to something still stuck. I would remove the pump regardless to make sure it is all clear even if the problem turns out to be something else.
We did remove the jet pump last night and nothing was lodged.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Could be the starter or bendix as well then but if no click i think fuse or battery terminal come off?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The fuse could have blown when the starter struggled against the rope.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check the CDI fuse and report back

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The fuse could have blown when the starter struggled against the rope.
Agree. . . had that issue on my Sea-Doo Sportster a few years back.