• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help. Engine issues

mscombest

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Started running boat today and after about 5 minutes noticed a TON of smoke following the boat. Looked and had the temp light flashing on dash. Turned everything off. Searched around didn’t see anything out of ordinary. Turned back on and noticed 1 engine had no real thrust. And smoke would start coming at about 6000 rpm’s. After a while, while only running at about 2500 rpm’s, it would shut down.
tried the clean out plugs and replacing them, didn’t seem to help.
I changed my oil last week. I may have overfilled that engine. I noticed what looked like gas or oil in the water behind the boat as we were floating.
just got the the top off to check the filter and there was oil everywhere inside. Took some paper towels to the 4 mesh metal intakes in the picture and they were covered in oil Not sure what has happened or what to do as I am FAR from mechanical. Any help is GREATLY appreciated

Attachments

• 1D9FC25D-3EA7-46AF-BA1F-BEB343083F95.jpeg
    1D9FC25D-3EA7-46AF-BA1F-BEB343083F95.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
Overfilled the oil, backed up through the intake saturating the air filter starving the engine of air. Replace the air filter, make sure the correct amount of oil is in the engine & do a test run. Might want to check the spark plugs as well.

You would do well to extract the oil in the cooler and refill.

How much oil did you take out and how much oil did you put back in?

Ideally get back to normal amount of oil, what it takes to barely see it on the dipstick, probably 2 Quarts from empty in the cooler, there's probably another 2 quarts in the engine that you cannot reach.

Monitor once completed, let us know how it goes!

Back