• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Help me pick a boat!

smthng

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ok, so I've managed to sell the wife on the need for a four-stroke model with more room than our little LX210. I started checking classifieds and boat trader and I'm finding prices, models and years ate all over the place. In short, I have no idea what boat to look for. So, I need some help figuring out what's a good fit for us.

Requirements:

Space for people... We either go out with just me and the wife, or every seat full on the LX. Would like a bit more room (ok, a lot more).
Bimini top... Absolutely necessary, I'll cook in the sun all day.
Front ladder... Tired of rugrats jumping off the front, swimming to the rear ladder, running through the boat messing up my vinyl, rinse, repeat. They get the front of the boat and get to climb back up the front!
Twin engine... A single isn't enough for us with 7 people on board.

Nice-to-haves:
Comfort to stretch out - I know at least one model has the front "bench" thing instead of a passenger chair. I think the wife would approve.
Smaller hull... When it is just me and the wife, I don't want to be messing with a 24, unless it absolutely necessary to get the above requirements.
Ease of entry... I've seen several rear configurations and there's at least once where it's almost a direct walk with no step over from the swim deck to the main cabin area. That's awesome! I'm way tired of crawling over out back deck.
Storage... Lots of people means lots of stuff.

BTW... feel free to rule out boats based on the above as well... I really have no clue what the differences are and I need to start ruling stuff out. I've literally seen 2007s that cost more than 2012s and I have no idea why. :S

In the Yamaha line-up, I would suggest a 2010-2014 24' boat. Of course, if you are considering new, the new Yamaha 24' boats are even nicer. If you are considering boats other than Yamaha's, I really like the Bryant Calandra. Cobalt quality at a better price point. It is 23'4" but is as spacious as a 26'-27' boat. The head is among the nicest I have seen on any bowrider and the fit and finish is first class. I love the interior layout as well and it is rated for 13 people. I am enjoying my Yamaha, but the next time around, I will serious consider a Bryant if I were to switch over to a prop.

Sorry, didn't think to clarify... definitely sticking with Yamaha. Price range is probably about $25k, so I'm thinking somewhere between an '07 and a '10. But I've seen '12s in that range too, I just don't know which models are which.

If you can find a 2010-2014 24' boat in that price range that meets your condition standards, I think you have done well and will be really happy. IMO, $25k for this boat (especially one with a tower (AR, LS), is a great deal.

I would shoot for a 24 footer but prices are going to start going up for the boating season again so finding a good deal could be a bit of a challenge. Also check out some of the older 23 footers. A bit more room than a 21 and going to be more affordable.

Based on parameters you have given, I suggest an '07-'09 230 series. We are very happy with ours.

The 230 does not have a front ladder. Just need to consider what your must haves vs like to haves are...

All of the newer Yamaha's have easier access to the swim deck. The big pad on the LX210 is great for the ladies to lay out on but you do not have to climb over it on the newer models.

My kids jump off of the swim deck then climb back up that ladder. That keeps the mess out. I do not see a lot of use of the bow ladders on boats that have them. Some owners remove them to make anchor access easier.

The 210 models have lower powered engines. 212s have more powerful engines, are water sports oriented and sell for a premium.

230s before 2007 have additional storage compartments, a smaller head compartment and can have 140 or 160 HP engines. The 160 HP versions are labeled HO and are more fuel efficient as well as more powerful.

2010 240s can have oil cooler bolt failures.

I love my 09 SX230. You should definatly be able to find one in your price range with money leftover for a few modification. I went to the boat show this year and checked out the new 2015. I don't really see what the big deal is about the new boats.

Sweet... thanks @Bruce , that's the kind of info I'm looking for.

So far, it looks like I can find '08-'10 SX210's all over the place in my price range. SX230 HOs and SS212's also seem to be around, but not quite as common. Is the SS212 basically an SX210 HO with ballast tanks?

212x is a HO 210 with nicer interior, ballast, and a tower. 212SS is an HO 210 with nicer interior and in 08/09 a low profile windshield.

Thanks all who chimed in... If I can get out of the office a bit early, I'm headed out to look at a 212SS tomorrow.

I love mine :)

Someone beat me to it. I'm not terribly upset about it... It was a nice looking boat but it would have stretched my budget pretty thin. Looking at an AR210 that's much more in my price range in a couple days.

Just to clarify...the 210 has 110hp motors each. The 212X and the 212SS have the HO motors and are 160hp each! Gotta tell ya, I hear a good many folks say they think the 210 is underpowered. I don't recall hearing a 212 owner say that. Nor do many 230 or 240 owners say it, but of course some want to go faster no matter what they can do to begin with. The LX210 and the newer SX210 are different animals. A 2010 SX240 will meet all of the requirements you listed. But I agree with @Bruce , I took out my bow ladder so I could use my anchor locker unencumbered. The transom swim deck lends itself to water recreation much more than the bow. Good luck on the search! Ain't if fun?!

Someone beat me to it. I'm not terribly upset about it... It was a nice looking boat but it would have stretched my budget pretty thin. Looking at an AR210 that's much more in my price range in a couple days.
I am first time boater guy and we LOVE our 230, it does well with the rugrats, we contain in the transom on a large inflatable pad or contain in the bow... Depending on age they may want to 'hide' in the head closet and eat Doritos that mom snuck onto the boat without telling the captain. I really thing the 23' will do you well, I wish that one in LA would sell, it seems (seemed) priced well. if you're up for some travel I'd say don't be afraid to jump on a boat with some context from this site, I can vouch that the people on this site can give context and hopefully give you confidence to make a leap and get a good deal.

I hear ya... but I'm pretty much sold on the front ladder of the 21's and 24's. The 23's are a nice layout, but if the boat needs seating for 10, I guarantee half of them will be rugrats jumping off the bow when we park. That's probably the only time we'll use it, but to us it's worth it. It'd have to be a screaming deal for me to consider a boat without one... Unfortunately the LA guy isn't biting, I would have gone and gotten it.
I'd prefer an HO, but since the AR I'll be looking at is close and in apparently beautiful shape, I'll make sure to do a water test and check the power then. I figure if it's got enough power to get a boarder out of the water, it's probably got enough for our needs, but that'll be a judgement call when I do a water test.

I hear ya... but I'm pretty much sold on the front ladder of the 21's and 24's. The 23's are a nice layout, but if the boat needs seating for 10, I guarantee half of them will be rugrats jumping off the bow when we park. That's probably the only time we'll use it, but to us it's worth it. It'd have to be a screaming deal for me to consider a boat without one... Unfortunately the LA guy isn't biting, I would have gone and gotten it.
I'd prefer an HO, but since the AR I'll be looking at is close and in apparently beautiful shape, I'll make sure to do a water test and check the power then. I figure if it's got enough power to get a boarder out of the water, it's probably got enough for our needs, but that'll be a judgement call when I do a water test.

Just curious, why the bow? With the jets you can now back onto the beach so you can ingress/egress in/off the stern. No more climbing over the bow onto the beach.

Back