• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help. My boat was damaged at my marina dock

Stan M

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
I understand that, but I would also expect the dock/Marina that I pay money to has the proper protection covering the raw wood and exposed screws. I wasn’t traveling fast. I was traveling fast enough to maintain control in a jet boat.
Yeah... going slow, or having fenders out for that matter, won't protect against exposed screws or other objects capable of scratching the boat at dock level! Hope it works out for you.

Jores

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I'm not sure where your bumper was connected but the front cleat is useless for a bumper- buy a large or ball type bumper for the middle cleat and use the back cleat at the swim dock. Not excusing the marina in any way but the front cleats are only good for dock lines. I put my bumpers at the middle cleat before docking and the rears after the motors are shut off. A large bumper at the middle works pretty well.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I understand that, but I would also expect the dock/Marina that I pay money to has the proper protection covering the raw wood and exposed screws. I wasn’t traveling fast. I was traveling fast enough to maintain control in a jet boat.
I hear you. Mine starts to turn sideways when going slow and shifting into “ neutral “ lol.

Vinman117

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm not sure where your bumper was connected but the front cleat is useless for a bumper- buy a large or ball type bumper for the middle cleat and use the back cleat at the swim dock. Not excusing the marina in any way but the front cleats are only good for dock lines. I put my bumpers at the middle cleat before docking and the rears after the motors are shut off. A large bumper at the middle works pretty well.
I have my side bumper out when docking. In addition I bought two clam type clips to hang the front bumpers off the hand rails and attached two clam cams to hang off the back. On the Yamaha SX 190 the rear cleats are too far aft. BTW the marina is paying for the damage 👍👍👍

Attachments

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Just a thought. I purchased hull huggers that are installed on the dock as a last resort should docking not go as it should. They have paid for themselves over time compared to what time and cost of gelcoat repair.

Attachments

Vinman117

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just a thought. I purchased hull huggers that are installed on the dock as a last resort should docking not go as it should. They have paid for themselves over time compared to what time and cost of gelcoat repair.
Thanks. But I store my boat at a marina. They just switch hands and the new owners are anxious to repair all the docks. Can’t wait for the rate to go up 🤣🤣🤣🤣

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
That totally sucks about your boat. Whenever I rent a slip I have to sign a waiver that frees them from any responsibility for damage, regardless of the cause. I do a walk around of the slip before hand. Make sure it has cleats bumpers etc. and they aren’t loose. The first slip I rented didn’t have any cleats, I had to jerry rig it. That really sucked,

Vinman117

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That totally sucks about your boat. Whenever I rent a slip I have to sign a waiver that frees them from any responsibility for damage, regardless of the cause. I do a walk around of the slip before hand. Make sure it has cleats bumpers etc. and they aren’t loose. The first slip I rented didn’t have any cleats, I had to jerry rig it. That really sucked,
Thanks. It’s dry docked and they put my boat in and out of the water when I call. The manager told me they will take care of the repair. 👍👍

Vinman117

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah... going slow, or having fenders out for that matter, won't protect against exposed screws or other objects capable of scratching the boat at dock level! Hope it works out for you.
The marina is going to repair my boat. 👍👍Apparently it also happened to another boater.

Vinman117

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I hear you. Mine starts to turn sideways when going slow and shifting into “ neutral “ lol.
Check out cobra jet steering system. Jeff will take care of you. I love the way I have control at slow speed. It’s east to install also. It acts just like a rudder. Much more control.

Attachments

Vinman117

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Check out cobra jet steering system. Jeff will take care of you. I love the way I have control at slow speed. It’s east to install also. It acts just like a rudder. Much more control.
It’s great around the dock and in NWM (No Wake Mode). I can back my jet boat in with no issues.

Vinman117

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I recall some law about who ever throws the line is responsible when towing a boat but dock line ??? look it up as the people collecting money for a service are responsible for any damage or personal injury if they knew or should have known there was an issue that they neglected or ignored
The marina is repairing my boat 👍👍👍

Vinman117

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’d consult with a lawyer. $250 for him to write a letter usually does the trick. Their lawyer will cost more than the repair.
The marina is going to repair my boat. 👍👍👍

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The marina is going to repair my boat 👍👍
Good for them. I hope you accept their good will with a smile and open heart that allows you to pay it forward one day.

Vinman117

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good for them. I hope you accept their good will with a smile and open heart that allows you to pay it forward one day.
I always pay it forward. Thanks.

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Thanks. But I store my boat at a marina. They just switch hands and the new owners are anxious to repair all the docks. Can’t wait for the rate to go up 🤣🤣🤣🤣
I miss understood. I thought you may have had a wet slip at the marina. That makes more sense transferring dock lines to their personnel for dry docking. I had instances where the dock cleats at various lakeside restaurants were “wonky” and waiting to come apart due to neglect. Frustrating you pay more for lunch yet they leave you in vulnerable position and the risk is solely on you. EDIT: just read they paid for the damages. Every once in a while people do the right thing. Sounds like they are decent. Hope it gets done without losing too much time on the water.

Vinman117

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I miss understood. I thought you may have had a wet slip at the marina. That makes more sense transferring dock lines to their personnel for dry docking. I had instances where the dock cleats at various lakeside restaurants were “wonky” and waiting to come apart due to neglect. Frustrating you pay more for lunch yet they leave you in vulnerable position and the risk is solely on you. EDIT: just read they paid for the damages. Every once in a while people do the right thing. Sounds like they are decent. Hope it gets done without losing too much time on the water.
Thanks. They said it was an easy repair so it shouldn’t take too long. I go out only during the week so they have plenty of time on a Saturday to repair it. I have had it out since the mishap. It’s way above the water line. It’s more cosmetic. Thanks again.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hey, @Vinman117 a couple of these might come in handy for your next outing ;)45E90B7C-2B4E-45F8-BF0B-8A4AB5F05E56.jpeg