• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

HELP NEEDED! Brand new VX Cruiser HO check engine light & Temp light

CadeCyrus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Okay guys I would really could use some of your alls help. I just purchased a brand new 2023 Yamaha VX CRUISER HO on ( 5/23/23 ) I took it out to the lake yesterday ( 5/24/23 ) I backed it off the trailer into the water and with less than a min of idle time the Check Engine light and Temp light came on and started beeping. I called the dealer on the water they told me to cycle machine 3 times and codes should clear, so I did that lights went off. I then started the machine back up and made it 100 yards or so in the no wake zone and lights came on again. I put the machine back on trailer and visually inspected everything all looked good. I took the machine home hooked it up to water hose let it idle for 5+ mins without any lights coming on. I again visually inspected everything I knew to look at, all looked good. I even pulled jet pump filter thinking something was sucked up inside it was clear. I then took the machine back out to the lake and I made it around 100 yards again at idle and the lights came on again. Has anyone had this happen to them? What’s the fix? I came here first before taking it back to the dealer in hopes of an easy fix. Thanks.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome aboard, sorry to see that your first post is “HELP”.

On the hose, are you noticing if you are getting a stream of water out of the “pisser”? On my older VX is on the left of the hull, about in line with the handle bars. Are you seeing the same stream when out on the lake (might be hard to tell when you aren’t on plane, as the VX hull, at least the previous generation sits low in the water).

While on the trailer, can you remove the seat and visually trace the cooling lines? You will see the one from the hose hook up, and that should run into a “Y” fitting, with one direction heading towards the engine block, and the other headed towards the back of the ski. See if that section of line (from the “Y” to the aft of the vessel) is free of kinks.

If that all checks out, then I would head back to the dealer ASAP as it’s a holiday weekend and I’m sure you want to enjoy your new toy!!

CadeCyrus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Welcome aboard, sorry to see that your first post is “HELP”.

On the hose, are you noticing if you are getting a stream of water out of the “pisser”? On my older VX is on the left of the hull, about in line with the handle bars. Are you seeing the same stream when out on the lake (might be hard to tell when you aren’t on plane, as the VX hull, at least the previous generation sits low in the water).

While on the trailer, can you remove the seat and visually trace the cooling lines? You will see the one from the hose hook up, and that should run into a “Y” fitting, with one direction heading towards the engine block, and the other headed towards the back of the ski. See if that section of line (from the “Y” to the aft of the vessel) is free of kinks.

If that all checks out, then I would head back to the dealer ASAP as it’s a holiday weekend and I’m sure you want to enjoy your new toy!!
Yes, I am getting a stream out the left side of hull when hooked up to the water hose, and I visually looked at every hose I can see or touch and all free of kinks. What is the water hose by passing vs when the machine is in the water?

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There are two routes to get cooling water to the engine..

1) The connection for the hose for flushing
2) The connection from the jet pump

These two hoses join at the “Y” fitting I mentioned above, and then the same “plumbing” is used to cool the engine.

If you are able to run on the hose without a overheat warning, I would suspect the cooling line from the jet pump. Have you tried running on the hose with the no-wake mode on, (this bumps the RPMS up to ~2600-3000) to see if the alarm appears? Not advising this is how you should flush - would be courious if slightly above idle you get the OH alarm.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thought of one more thing to check…. When you flush on the hose, do you see any water coming out of the screen/filter in the jet pump? Usually you will notice that not all of the water from the hose actually makes it way into the engine, and gravity or the path with the least resistance allows some of the water to flow back out of the cooling line. Hope that makes sense.

CadeCyrus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Thought of one more thing to check…. When you flush on the hose, do you see any water coming out of the screen/filter in the jet pump? Usually you will notice that not all of the water from the hose actually makes it way into the engine, and gravity or the path with the least resistance allows some of the water to flow back out of the cooling line. Hope that makes sense.
Water comes out of filter fine when hose is hooked up. I just let it run 10 mins on a timer on water hose and gave it some throttle ever so often. No lights came up. Water coming out of the nozzle on side was warm which I think is normal.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
its possible you sucked something up when you launched, Doesn't take much. A little plastic bag, weeds ect. to block the intake strainer and starve the motor of cooling water.

geohil

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Had the exact same problem on our 2022 FX Cruiser HO. Called the service department of our Yamaha dealership and the crusty old mechanic told me it was a common problem that he has seen recently. He told me to just ride it normal (no sustained RPM and no wide open) for about 3-5 minutes, bring it back and let it cool for 15 minutes or so, then do it 2 more time. After that our ski didn't beep or flash warning lights anymore. Not sure if it is just the sensors burning off assembly grease or calibrating? Not saying it is the right way but either was it worked for us.

geohil

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm sure you know this but you can silence the beeping from the touch-screen.