• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Help on selecting 24 volt DC Wind Turbine Generator for my Trolling Batteries

CC4ME

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hi,

I park and launch my 19 foot boat at a marina and do not have access to electrical outlets. Due to various time commitments, I take my boat out on the water on the weekends and need dependable trolling batteries. I have two 12 volt deep cycle marine batteries (flooded lead acid), in a 24 volt configuration, to power my Minnkota trolling motor. I've found out from Yamaha and from my local dealer that I can't use the Minnkota MK2DC two bank alternator charger for my trolling batteries. Currently, I have to either move my boat down the road to an electrical outlet to charge my trolling batteries or yank them and charge them at home (a real pain). I would like to purchase a 24 volt DC Wind Turbine Generator (Lantern Type) with 4/5 blades and a braking/electrical regulator to mount on my T-Top. (I looked at solar but it's not a good fit for me). My marina gets sufficient wind to power such a generator. I see there are 400W. 500W, 1000W, 2000W, 4000W etc. Wind Turbine generators on the market. I've read that you have to watch out for charging your batteries too fast and the importance of having a trickle charge feature on such a generator (MPPT?) as well as a braking system that kicks in when your battery is charged or the wind speeds become too severe. I am soliciting your feedback on what wattage is best to use for charging my trolling batteries via Wind and any other feedback on using Wind Turbine Generators. In addition, can someone tell me if I can use a Wind Turbine Generator to safely charge my trolling batteries while they are being actively used to power my Minnkota? Plus, I should be able to charge my trolling batteries using the Wind Turbine Generator while I'm underway with my boat's engine engaged. Correct? Thanks in advance for any assistance that you can provide.

Lee

Have you seriously considered solar? 60W (2 30W panels in series) x 6 hrs a day x 4 days/week = 40Ah at 24V (assuming 80% efficiency). What capacity are your 12v deep cycle batteries?

Assuming you don't discharge the trolling batteries past 24V,(50% discharge) then solar is a real contender.

You could also look into 12/24v boost converters.

Wind generators are a bit of a pain. They are very noisy and need to be shut down when its too windy. For fishing, they could pose a real hazard if deployed while casting.

Last edited:
I do see wind turbines on sailboats around the lake. Friends of our with a 41' Hunter have an older Primus (style). They say the bearings are loud and do not use it much, they also have 320w solar. I would mount a new Primus to my sailboat if we cruised/anchored for extended periods. But for now we will use the 220w solar/victron MPPT controller to keep the voltage up on our 3 batteries.

FWIW. I have a 20 YO Whisper 1000w wind turbine on top of a 72' tower at my house. Too big for any of my boats.

A comparison of some marine turbines below.

Last edited:
Thanks zipper for your feedback. I had read about many sailboats using wind turbines to charge their batteries which started me down this road that I am on.

Thanks marcham for your feedback as well.
I rely on my trolling motor for fishing/trolling obviously, boating through areas with weeds or debris and as a contingency should my one jet boat engine fail. I do on rare occasions discharge these batteries past 50%. Even though I have towing insurance, boating from Buffalo to parts of Canada (or to Dunkirk) and getting stuck in the middle of Lake Erie without power is highly undesirable. Thus my dependency on my trolling batteries being in tip-top shape. My 12V deep cycle batteries each have: Cranking Amps @ 32°F 0°C: 750, Cold Cranking Amps @ 0°F -18°C: 600 and Reserve Capacity @ 25 Amps: 160 . (Manufacturer did not provide any other specs).

I have looked at solar but found that Buffalo weather patterns from mid-April through mid-October are not always optimal or consistent. As you know, solar panels are only 10-40% effective on cloudy days as opposed to sunny days. Further, if the temperature is over 75 degees Fahrenheit (or 25 degrees Celsius), the capacity of solar panels to produce electricity actually drops by 10-25%. The more wattage I need usually means more or larger solar panels (or $$) are needed. A wind turbine can operate day or night assuming you get sufficient wind and potentially charge/recover your battery faster. The only place I have to place solar panels or a wind turbine on my boat is on top of my T-Top. I also need to have the ability to readily pull my T-Top shade/rain cover on/off. The lantern type wind turbine I have been looking at doesn't chew up my T-Top space as much as solar panels. I also have some personal reasons for selecting a wind turbine. I understand your thoughts on casting and shutting down when it's too windy, but I have solutions for both situations.

My current need is to right-size (identify) the 24 volt DC Wind Turbine Generator (Lantern Type) that is best for charging my trolling batteries. I don't want to overcharge or have a reverse charge, but do want a trickle charge feature like my marine battery charger has I am not an electrician and am looking at what wattage Wind Turbine is best for my needs. As zipper indicated, the sailboat skippers are doing it and I would like to do the same. Any help in this matter is appreciated.

This solar power kit is amazing because it combines the power generation capabilities of a wind turbine with the sun-catching skills of a solar panel. With such a wide range of operations, this kit can offer the user with a virtually constant source of electricity. It's ideal for traveling to places that aren't as windy but receive a lot of sun, or vice versa.

Back