• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help- Will steering with engines damage them?

Newbie7

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The one engine firing is a very common issue that no one seems to Beatle to figure out some have said heat soak after a long run and to keep the blowers on for a while when shutting down to help cool them I've had it happen first trip of the day also
I'll try that out instead of burping it and see how we do with it. Thanks for the tip!

Newbie7

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As always everyone, I didn't expect this much of a positive and helpful response. I truly appreciate you all! Thank you for all of the affirmations and tips. I will be sure to put them into practice and as always, I will keep you posted if anything else pops up.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I actually hadn't figured out nowake mode. I have only had it out and running well for two trips now (we had a little trouble shooting to do). Do I just get to my desired speed, and hit the no wake button like cruise control? I have two nowake buttons... is there one for each engine?
When you’re in idle as well as neutral and need to have a little thrust to navigate the no wake zones or to dock or whatever, push the no wake mode switches. (Mine only has one.) This will give you enough thrust to steer through your situations. You can toggle up three times. Must toggle back down to get out of it. When moving outside of the no wake zones, these act as a cruise control for you. After a certain rpm (check your manual) you push these and it will maintain that speed. You can just throttle out if it.

Newbie7

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When you’re in idle as well as neutral and need to have a little thrust to navigate the no wake zones or to dock or whatever, push the no wake mode switches. (Mine only has one.) This will give you enough thrust to steer through your situations. You can toggle up three times. Must toggle back down to get out of it. When moving outside of the no wake zones, these act as a cruise control for you. After a certain rpm (check your manual) you push these and it will maintain that speed. You can just throttle out if it.
Thanks for the information! I’ll definitely give it a try when I go out next.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I don’t have fins *yet* but I do have to deal with some good wind/current. The differential thrust IE putting one throttle forward, one reverse is a great way to turn/spin the boat around the dock. Toss a bumper out in some open water and practice “docking” to it. One throttle to the forward neutral or whatever that detent is to open gate, other throttle to reverse detent and a touch of reverse rpm is usually plenty to get her turning. Your going to end up moving back a little so I get a little forward of my intended docking spot.

There is a handy diagram/chart I think someone linked above to help ya out with what to do with the wheel and each throttle position to get your desired result.

Also if you can get within a few feet up wind of the dock you can just let wind gently push you to the dock. Putting your top down if you have one will also help mitigate wind pushing you around.

I’m a newb to jet boats, so take my advice for what it’s worth. I learned my lesson the hard way and got a couple scratches on my graphics before I decided to slow everything down and just turn around and try again or kick it reverse to stop and line up better. It’s much less embarrassing going nice and slow for a smooth docking than trying to look like a pro and end up looking like a fool slamming into the dock sideways.

My wife even complimented my last two approaches/docking so I know it’s going better.

I’ve seen a lot of jet boats (100+} the last few months. Just about everyone has fins, so I guess they work well.
@Inthrustwetrust ......old saying - never approach a dock or trailer faster than you want to hit it. Has worked for me for decades. Cheers MT

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Inthrustwetrust ......old saying - never approach a dock or trailer faster than you want to hit it. Has worked for me for decades. Cheers MT
Haven’t hit the dock yet, I have looked like a clown on my first couple tries on the downwind ramp and getting blown away from the dock. Some practice fixed that. My scratch actually came from the corner of a slip that had some loose/damaged wood hanging around edge I didn’t notice. Just backed it on out and the side of the boat touched it and ripped the graphic. Paint was fine. I’ll eventually replace the graphic for $150 or just go naked when it starts to peel.

Troy JK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
these engines use outside water to cool the exhaust. when you Rev it out of the water you’re blowing the Water out of the exhaust water box, not the pump, I do that also. No need to let it sit in there, especially if it’s salt water.
as far as burping one engine while the other is idling, that’s never going to push water up the exhaust and into the idling motor. Some say that running a jet drive boat fast one one engine while the other engine is not running can push water into the dead Engine. That might be possible but I can tell you I’ve run mine at a fast idle for about 2 miles on one engine and had No water in the dead engine. I wouldn’t push It any faster than that tho without pinching off the coolant line to the dead engine.