• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help With a 1988 Kawasaki Stand up Jet ski

CoyoteTango

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
I just bought a 88 kawi and for one im slightly confused as to what size of engine it is. The tittle says modle BT witch hasn't helped me at all. Also it was sitting for 2 years outside and ran just fine before that. im just curious as to what things I should be replacing or checking on before I try for a start up. I came without a battery so im working on getting that. also should it have a piece of wire that attaches to you so that when you fall off it kills it? im not seeing it and im not seeing where it would go. Just any general info about this PWC would help. Thank you!!!

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Might not get much info on that ski here.
I would try greenhulk forums to get answers on it.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I will take a shot at it. Kawasaki only had a few models in 88 (I bought a new 88 kawi x2, these had a seat, more like a bolster). For stand ups they offered the 550 cc and a 650 cc. The 550 is more boxy and smaller than the 650. The 650 had a white hull and blue accents. The 550 came in white or orange.

The Kawis of that time did not have safety lanyards (“piece of wire ... kills it”). Instead they were designed so hat when he rider fell off the handle bars would turn to one side so that the ski would circle at idle, sometimes back to the rider.

I would replace the fuel lines, fuel, and spark plugs. Clean out the carb but do not rebuild it, yet, be careful not to change any of the needle settings or better yet turn them all the way down and count the rotations on each so you know what the settings were when it “ran just fine”.

That above stated, I’m wondering if you know what you got yourself into. I suggest you take a look at some YouTube videos on Kawasaki Jetski 550 or 650 maintenance and use as well as join a pwc focused forum @Neutron suggested above.

Good luck.

Last edited: