• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help with single engine Operations.

TommyG

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2019 242X. I noticed that when I start one engine and the other one is not running yet the bucket on the operating engine does not activate. Meaning neutral gives you idle forward (Not idle) thrust and reverse gives you more forward thrust. Once I start the other engine they both work correctly. I’m pretty sure this is a malfunction that I need to take in but I wanted To get some input from the forum.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
You should never run on one engine only unless it's an emergency.

TommyG

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You should never run on one engine only unless it's an emergency.
I don't run on one engine but while in a slip I started one engine and the boat began to quickly creep forward toward the slip wall.( Before I could start the #2 engine). In an effort to stabilize the movement I gave it a minimal amount of reverse on that engine. instead of slowing it, it accelerated. Itwas slow enough not to cause any damage but after starting the other engine both engines worked as they are supposed to. At the time I was only going out with one of my friends who is a very experienced boater. So, I took it out to check out what was going on and discovered the buckets on my boat won't move unless both engines are running. The reason its a problem is that if I need to run on one engine due to an emergency or inop engine or the second one is not quick to start up it creates a hazard as well as limited maneuverability/control with no reverse.

I think this is a malfunction that I need to take in to the shop but if someone thinks this how it is programed from Yamaha( on the boats with digital throttles). Please let me know.

Thanks

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe try adjusting the buckets to get a little more neutral? Start it while it’s tied off?

TommyG

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Maybe try adjusting the buckets to get a little more neutral? Start it while it’s tied off?
Thanks for the input. On the E series boats the buckets are digitally controlled by a computer. When you shut off the engines they open. (you can see the empelors). As soon as both engines are started the bucks drop into neutral and the boat doesn't move. This is what I think should happen even with only one. I'd consider an adjustment if it wasn't perfectly neutral with both engines running, but since it is, I think it's something that needs to be addressed by a mechanic. There was a recall on these E-series in which the buckets were wired wrong. however if I operate one TDE forward, and one in TDE reverse the correct engine buckets actuate properly. Although there is a procedure to operate them if they get stuck closed. It's not in a position that it can be changed while maneuvering.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That certainly sounds wrong (and a safety issue).

And, though I don't have one of those, I do hang around here a bit and don't think I have heard anyone mention that before. And the e's have been around now long enough I would think that would have been mentioned...

TommyG

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That certainly sounds wrong (and a safety issue).

And, though I don't have one of those, I do hang around here a bit and don't think I have heard anyone mention that before. And the e's have been around now long enough I would think that would have been mentioned...
Thanks!