• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hesitant Starts, Fuel Pump?

ta421

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
New to Me 2018 AR210, 103 Hours. When cold it starts perfect and will run as expected, both engines. After running for a while and then stop it will turn over for 5-10 seconds before it fires again. This happens if I stop for just a second or even if I stop for a couple of hours.

My only thought is the fuel pump??

It is both motors and it does not matter which one I try first

It has never not started but

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
It won't be fuel pumps if both are not starting - each engine has it's own fuel pump from the tank and the odds of both having issues is low.

Have you changed the spark plugs or know when they were last changed? They're typically good for 100 hours, and you're just over that.

ta421

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It won't be fuel pumps if both are not starting - each engine has it's own fuel pump from the tank and the odds of both having issues is low.

Have you changed the spark plugs or know when they were last changed? They're typically good for 100 hours, and you're just over that.
According to maintenance receipts they were changed at 80 hours

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
According to maintenance receipts they were changed at 80 hours
Might be a good idea to pull the plugs and check them anyway - plugs let you know if something is wrong. If you see any fouling or one plug that has a different colour from the rest, you have an issue with combustion, maybe a sticky injector?
If the plugs are good, replace them with new ones anyway and keep some of the old ones as spares. Plugs are cheap and if yours have the compression gasket on them, then it's best to use new ones for a tight seal. Make sure you use a torque wrench and do it right. TR1 engines are finicky about plugs.

I understand the TR1 engines have a breather filter that can get saturated with oil and then pressure builds causing issues. Can you check those filters?
Also check the main air filters to ensure they're clean?
How old is the fuel, are you still on the gas the previous owner had in it?

Also are you running the blower while stopped and/or prior to starting? Are you in a hot climate? Could it be heat related vapour lock?

You should update your profile too adding some indication of location - I thought you had the 2007 model until I re-read your post and saw the 2018 part.

ta421

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Might be a good idea to pull the plugs and check them anyway - plugs let you know if something is wrong. If you see any fouling or one plug that has a different colour from the rest, you have an issue with combustion, maybe a sticky injector?
If the plugs are good, replace them with new ones anyway and keep some of the old ones as spares. Plugs are cheap and if yours have the compression gasket on them, then it's best to use new ones for a tight seal. Make sure you use a torque wrench and do it right. TR1 engines are finicky about plugs.

I understand the TR1 engines have a breather filter that can get saturated with oil and then pressure builds causing issues. Can you check those filters?
Also check the main air filters to ensure they're clean?
How old is the fuel, are you still on the gas the previous owner had in it?

Also are you running the blower while stopped and/or prior to starting? Are you in a hot climate? Could it be heat related vapour lock?

You should update your profile too adding some indication of location - I thought you had the 2007 model until I re-read your post and saw the 2018 part.
No I am not running the blower. I am in Texas and it has not been "Hot" since I owned the boat. The fuel was about a month old when I got the boat with about 1/2 a tank, I filled it and used a bottle of SeaFoam.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Make sure you run the blower before starting the engines - in the event of any kind of fuel leak, you could potentially ignite a fire and/or explosion.

ALWAYS run the blower for several minutes before starting, and always when idling or in no wake zones. You can turn it off at cruising speeds as the air is moving fast enough to clear out any issues, but if you're dropping off plane to stop or dock, turn the blower back on. This is a critical safety issue. My boat has an automatic 5 minute timer that runs the blower after I turn on the batteries. I do this while prepping to launch at the ramp and by the time I go to start the engines, the blower has been running for 5 minutes and it's safe to start.

So you're in Texas at 80+ temps and not running the blower - that makes the engine bay VERY hot, probably mild vapour lock. So when cranking the engines, do not crank longer than 5 seconds, pause for 10 seconds, then crank again. Cranking for long periods will overheat the starter motors and they could fail. The blower will help cool the engine bay air and will make starting easier. Boat engines are fully enclosed and do not "breathe" like car engines.

This is all covered in your owner's manual and all experienced boaters should know about the blower requirement. If you're a new boater, take a boating course if you haven't already, and read the manual cover to cover - you'll learn a lot about your boat.

ta421

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know what the blower is for and I run it when it should be run, according the the manual , but thanks for the incite