• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

High Pitched Speaker Whine

ScarabJoe

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Hi all,

So on my 255 the speakers have a high pitched whine on low volume. When I turn up the volume, it drowns out the whine. It only happens if the engines are on. When key is to Accessories, no whine. When key is to On but I don't turn on the engines, no squeal. Dealer has no clue. Any ideas to fix?

Thanks!

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Could be a grounding issue somewhere along the way. You may have better visibility if @Administrative moves this to the electronic subforum

ScarabJoe

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thanks. I'll have the dealer look in to it.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds like you need a RCA ground loop isolator. If there are more than one battery onboard, make sure all components of the stereo are grounded on the same battery.

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
If it's not a ground issue...then your amplifier blew a filter inside.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi all,

So on my 255 the speakers have a high pitched whine on low volume. When I turn up the volume, it drowns out the whine. It only happens if the engines are on. When key is to Accessories, no whine. When key is to On but I don't turn on the engines, no squeal. Dealer has no clue. Any ideas to fix?

Thanks!
To be honest, most of the cases ground loop filters will not help. Like every state could be ground loop noise.

First need to track all wires to see where they are grounded to. Second any amps or RCAs by the engine? If the symptoms only happen when engines are on, then it's being picked up by either power wires or RCAs. Make sure all power wires run away from speaker/RCA wires. May need to upgrade your RCA cables. Pictures and how your system is setup would help me identify the issue but need to see what's going on.

Don't give up as this can be fixed with the right planning. One of the main reason I rebuilt my system. I introduced too much noise to it.

Last and sometimes the easiest fix. Your system is not tuned correctly. At low volume the amps are sending high khz to the speakers and they are reproducing those hertz. At high volume you drown it out but still robbing yourself of wattage for your speakers to reproduce it. So I would probably check amp gains first. Not sure where you run your head unit in turns of volume but that could be a problem too. The more details you can provide, the easier people can help you here. This is one main reason I turn my system with tuners and nothing else.

The problem is 99% of dealers can't help you. They are not electronics/radio experts. To make things worst alot of audio places have hard time due to how boat components are integrated into each other like the main display.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Run a dedicated ground to all amp chassis, amp grounds, stereo ground and nothing else

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Run a dedicated ground to all amp chassis, amp grounds, stereo ground and nothing else
How close is this grounding point to the engine or anything engine compartment that noise can be introduced. How big of grounding wires are you using also? How many amps and total wattage of amps?

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ground should be as big as the power. Tap straight off the battery. Isolate from everything else.