• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hit the lake today

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This was our first trip of 2014. We haven't had much of a winter here in Redding Ca. It was cold in December but not so much in January or February; not warm enough to boat though. Following about 10 days of rain it not only cleared up, but warmed up. It was 84 on Friday, 81 on Saturday, and was supposed to be 79 today but with 10+ mph of wind.

I really wanted to get the boat out and see how it is after being tucked in the side yard since early November.

I was really pleased when we pulled the cover completely off (got in last week to fire up the engines but didn't take the cover all the way off) and found the boat just as clean as it was in November. The new
Classic Accessories Dryguard Waterproof Boat Cover really did it's job in spite of 18" of rain, lots of wind, and even 24 hours of snow that piled up 4 to 5" high on the boat cover.

I must have been too anxious to get to the lake though. I didn't pull out my trusty list to check things off. I did everything but install the clean out plugs and close the windshield and lower door. On the way to the lake, just 13 miles, the small cushion next to the helm blew out on the road. We discovered it was missing, went boating, then scoured the road on the way home and found the cushion on the shoulder. Nobody ran over it so it was in pretty good shape but will be going to the upholsterer tomorrow for repair. This is the second time I've done that. The first cushion was run over multiple times and was in pieces. The
darned things are expensive if you have to replace them.

Here's my son, wife, and grandson, coming back to the dock to pick me up after I parked the trailer. He was having a
difficult time since the plugs were not installed. We took care of that, then went out for a spin. The lake was a little bumpy due to the wind, but the tree lined hills were beautiful with fresh light green leaves on those trees which leave their leaves in the winter.

The boat ran great. It was only in the mid 60's on the lake but I didn't feel the need to put on my jacket. I was in shorts and a short sleeved shirt. We shut down and had a snack.

(I really like the way this new site sticks the full photo image in as I'm editing).

Me at the helm.

My wife Nancy wouldn't be pleased to see this photo of her hair flying.

Son Keith. He's a great first mate who can put the boat back on the trailer better than I can.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like a perfect first day out. Glad to see that you didn't have any issues with the "winter" storage.

lashburn1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nice pics thx for the post!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I always love your pics John! Great first run of the season! I think my old boat is hitting your California water this week too!

Suchawittygal

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great pics John, looks like a beautiful day. I can't wait to take the Dawg out soon!

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Looks great! I did the same thing 2 weeks ago and launched without the plugs installed....Duh! :confused:

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's great. It all looks so peaceful!

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Awesome

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Looks like a fantastic day!! I am very jealous.

duanepillar

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
We still have ice on our lakes. I am jealouse!

HidnNOS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
John, we had a high in the low 80's yesterday so we too, took the boat out. Met up with some friends and enjoyed the warmth! Boating now is nice, but this summer I don't expect it to be so much fun. 1/2 the lakes are unuseable due to water levels, so the lakes we do have are low and will be PACKED.

duanepillar

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
HidnNOS,

Why are your lakes so low this year. Ours don't change much year to year. I think we get fed by the Great lakes system.

HidnNOS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Last edited:

HidnNOS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
ttt for an idea of water levels in CA. :-(

I will be on Shasta with my family April, hoping for no issues getting on/off the lake!

Last edited:

duanepillar

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Those pictures are shocking! I had no idea. We complain about the cold and snow here but I guess there are advantages, I have never seen anything like that around here.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@HidnNOS ... Really sorry to see that, makes me very thankful for what we have here.

HidnNOS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That was the same lake, both boat launches at each end of it. There are many lakes that are worse, if you can imagine that. The lake pictured above is Lake Mendocino, we were camping with our boats there just last June.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The lakes in CA are man made for the purpose of catching and storing rain and snow runoff. If there is little snow and rain the lakes drain away.

The water in the lakes is used for power generation, crop watering, business, and homes.

Rain and snow largely falls in the Nov. to March time frame. Much of the state receives almost no measurable rainfall for about six months or so.

In high rain / snow years the lakes fill and the rest of the fresh water runs into the ocean.

In order to prevent lack of control and downstream flooding the water districts have to anticipate rain so they let water out of the reservoirs to make room. Of course that can backfire leaving the lakes less than full ahead of the summer dry period.

Fortunately some reservoirs, like Shasta, have extremely long launch ramps, or even dirt accessible lower paved ramps for the worst rain years. One launch area on Shasta has a main ramp and two lower ramps that remain under water for years at a time.